Gransnet forums

News & politics

Appalling news about Brexit

(168 Posts)
Lily65 Thu 04-Apr-19 09:38:28

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/apr/04/police-amass-10000-officers-in-preparation-for-no-deal-unrest

I can only assume these people know what they are doing.

varian Wed 10-Apr-19 20:03:05

LBC pro-brexit phone-in host Nick Ferrari sees the light. He's had enough and gives up on brexit. Horray!

www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nick-ferrari/exasperated-reveals-hes-finally-given-up-brexit/

Urmstongran Wed 10-Apr-19 21:04:18

Aw c’mon varian you’re a bright woman so stop being disingenuous.

NF has given up on Brexit (as I have) because the Establishment won’t let it happen. He’s fed up of banging his head against a brick wall, is all. He still thinks we should Leave (as I do). He just accepts the reality.... that we never could or can.

Hotel California.
☹️

GabriellaG54 Wed 10-Apr-19 21:07:46

One of my all time favourite songs, especially with trumpet intro. ???

crystaltipps Thu 11-Apr-19 06:39:21

Nick Ferrari said we should just remain, it will be fine and we wouldnt have to listen to endless discussions on Brexit. He was a leaver, just not a fervent one, and not enough to think it’s worth £600m a week to fund ( latest figures- that’s just for the U.K.) . He always said the result was so close that there wasn’t the justification for going all out hard Brexit and May never acknowledged that. He also acknowledges the flaws in the referendum. He is more of the pragmatic leaver mindset, rather than the rabid let’s just leave, we don’t care, F*ck business extremist types. He certainly isn’t blaming “ the Establishment” - who are they btw?

varian Fri 12-Apr-19 13:01:52

The government has now apparently stopped spending public money on preparations for a no deal brexit.

This alone has so far cost the poor British taxpayer £4.2billion. Just think of all the better ways that could have been spent for the public good.

twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1116391388638318597

varian Wed 17-Apr-19 19:51:07

Ireland warns no-deal Brexit could affect food supplies to UK
Without a potential exit-deal with the EU, worries grow about the potentially grave effect on Ireland's farming sector.

www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/no-deal-brexit-hit-farming-northern-ireland-190413150444035.html

varian Thu 18-Apr-19 19:06:21

"Don't condescend to me or to us": US Speaker Nancy Pelosi blasts 'red faced' Brexiteer Spartan Mark Francois for patronising her in private talks after she warned Irish border impasse could smash US-UK trade deal

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6935589/US-Speaker-Nancy-Pelosi-accused-Brexiteer-Tory-Mark-Francois-condescending.html

varian Thu 25-Apr-19 16:15:27

A million Britons responded to a secretive Facebook campaign for a hard Brexit overseen by Lynton Crosby’s company, according to the information commissioner, who said the respondents’ email addresses may have been harvested for future use.

Elizabeth Denham told MPs her investigation into the Mainstream Network campaign group had raised concerns about how valuable voter data was being collected by the under-the-radar campaign, potentially in breach of data protection rules.

Mainstream Network was designed to look like a grassroots campaign and give the impression that the British public was rising up in support of a no-deal exit from the European Union, by encouraging the public to flood MPs’ inboxes with emails demanding one.

However, the Guardian has revealed that the supposedly independent pro-Brexit Facebook pages were part of a series overseen by Crosby’s company, CTF Partners. They were backed by up to £1m in online advertising, paid for by an unknown source in a bid to push MPs to reject Theresa May’s Brexit deal.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/23/secretive-hard-brexit-facebook-campaign-got-1m-responses

When my MP eventually responded to my email urging him to vote against a no-deal, he told me he had been inundated with messages from people wanting a hard brexit. This helps explain it.

jura2 Thu 25-Apr-19 16:25:31

WOW - it gets worse and worse. And we are expected to 'respect' this?!?

varian Fri 26-Apr-19 19:16:06

Ferry firm P&O is taking legal action against the UK government, claiming a rival was unlawfully handed £33m of taxpayers' money.

Last month, the Department for Transport (DfT) was forced to settle with train operator Eurotunnel, which had challenged the procurement of no-deal Brexit shipping contracts.

As part of the deal, Eurotunnel agreed to make improvements to its terminal.

P&O argues that this put its business at a "competitive disadvantage".

Eurotunnel's case came after the DfT awarded contracts worth more than £100m in total to three firms - Brittany Ferries, DFDS and Seaborne Freight.

The companies were to provide extra capacity across the Channel in the event that a no-deal Brexit led to congestion at UK ports.

Mycatisahacker Fri 26-Apr-19 22:50:35

In a very serious world we somehow have created where laughter is censored and teenagers, not mine, seem to be the font of all knowledge.

and we have to how down to the minorities demanding attention nick Ferrari makes me laugh.

Mycatisahacker Fri 26-Apr-19 23:03:19

And before I am jumped on the minorities

I am referring to are the ones who want to call me and all of us women ‘cis women’ yeuk!!!

Or stand with placards outside schools in my hometown Birmingham
demanding we don’t talk about LGBTQ’s needs to be accepted and normalised.

varian Sun 28-Apr-19 19:46:25

Labour could sign up to a Brexit deal without a fresh referendum attached if the government makes significant concessions in the ongoing talks, the shadow business secretary has suggested.

In a blow to pro-EU supporters, Rebecca Long-Bailey said the party was not “hugely prescriptive” on its terms, when asked if the inclusion of a public vote was a “red line” for Labour in the negotiations.

Ms Long-Bailey, who has attended cross-party talks alongside shadow Brexit secretary Sir Keir Starmer and shadow chancellor John McDonnell, said meetings had been “productive” with discussions about workers’ rights – a key ask for Labour.

Ahead of fresh talks on Monday, she told Sky News’s Sophy Ridge on Sunday: “There has been movement in specific areas – we’ve had fantastic discussions on workers’ rights, for example, and the government seems quite amenable to moving towards what I’ve been asking for.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-second-referendum-deal-talks-long-bailey-a8889836.html

Truly appalling news about brexit. If you are in any doubt about LP policy and want to stop brexit - vote Liberal Democrat to be sure of stopping this madness forever.

varian Tue 14-May-19 16:03:29

If Brexit is not stopped, the next stage of the Brexit negotiations are going to make the current mess look like a simple affair and will tie up the civil service for years, the former national security adviser and head of Britain’s diplomatic service has warned.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/12/brexit-talks-will-tie-up-whitehall-for-years-top-uk-diplomat-warns?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Whitewavemark2 Tue 14-May-19 17:22:38

Car industry on the skids, now the steel industry.

As someone just said - there will be nothing left soon

www.bbc.com/news/business-48267688

varian Tue 14-May-19 18:30:29

It makes me wonder just how bad would any factual, realistic warning about the folly of brexit have to be before the leavers stopped dismissing it as "project fear"?

varian Thu 16-May-19 13:11:45

Case against Boris Johnson for ‘Brexit lies’ will have public hearing on EU election day

metro.co.uk/2019/05/14/case-boris-johnson-brexit-lies-will-public-hearing-eu-election-day-9540055/?ito=cbshare

Good timing or far too late?