Gransnet forums

News & politics

EU elections

(252 Posts)
varian Fri 05-Apr-19 18:45:04

Higher proportion of UK voters say they would vote in EU election than turned out in the 2014 election!!!

news.sky.com/story/european-parliament-elections-a-quarter-of-public-would-boycott-poll-11685011

In 2014 very few voters were concerned about our membership of the EU. Thanks to Farage and the leave campaign liars we are now all much more aware of the issue. If leave voters want to boycott the EU elections. so be it.

Nonnie Fri 17-May-19 11:40:13

What is the point of this thread if we can't ask people what they believe? Is it just so some can say they are right and other wrong? I appreciate GG respecting other's views,as do I but I simply want to know what they are or I can't respect them? Is that difficult to understand?

In answer to GG Thank you for answering what others have been unable?unwilling to do. I have lost count of how many now. My responses are below.

"One is in the Armed Forces, deployed worldwide totally against European Army which Macron and Merkel are working towards." I don't think one would be enough for me and if in the EU we have the power of veto, if out we are on our own. They are 'working towards' but there are mixed opinions about whether it will happen or not.

One is a small business owner and is consistently undercut by Eastern European’s. Would that be any different if we were outside the EU?

"The AC who now run our family firm are of the opinion that the import tariffs imposed by the EU on non EU goods which we import keep the prices artificially high. (cannot give you more specific detail as I retired years ago)." Yes, I am sure there are some small companies which might be better off out of the EU but overall, thinking of the whole country, we are, imo, better off in.

"My European DIL is desperate for her birth country to have a referendum as are a lot of her fellow countrymen" A lot surprises me. I have friends and relatives in Germany, Portugal, Spain, France and NL and none of them want this to happen. They all recognise they are better off in than out although I think they all agree things could be better.

With respect (and I am sincere) you appear to be taking quite a narrow view based on your own experience without taking into account the bigger picture. I can understand that but it is not my way.

I conclude that the EU is not perfect but then what system is? I think that throwing the baby out with the bathwater is a very bad idea. However, I'm still waiting for someone to give me a different view.

I believe someone else has posted reasons for staying in so I hope all will read them. I will and see if I agree or not.