Gransnet forums

News & politics

EU Elections

(33 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-Apr-19 09:25:28

So it is possible that we will be taking part in the EU elections. A link posted below list our current MEPs and access to various information about them.
www.mepranking.eu/state.php?st=GB&order=name#meps

HildaW Wed 10-Apr-19 10:12:42

Seems so...an e-mail has just gone around the village reminding everyone the village hall is booked for it? Seems like the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing....what a waste of money!

Jane10 Wed 10-Apr-19 10:22:08

Oh God!

maryeliza54 Wed 10-Apr-19 10:27:01

Good job we’re here for the childcare

Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-Apr-19 10:58:03

This doesn’t bode well for the elections of any sort for the Tories.
Apparently it’s all Blair’s fault for educating the young!
www.independent.co.uk/voices/tory-party-theresa-may-vote-election-mark-francois-young-people-conservative-a8862336.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1554875539

Dinahmo Wed 10-Apr-19 11:41:44

I should like to make a plea for people to vote in the EU elections so that the number of UKIP MEPs can be reduced.
IMO Farage and his ilk have behaved appallingly in the EU Parliament and if he was to be re-elected it would support the opinion of the rest of the world that we are no longer the country that they once looked up to.

Many people believe that EU laws are imposed upon us but this is not true since we have had an equal share in making decisions. There are rules and regs in place in almost every club or society that we belong to. We may not like them all and we may try to change them but we do it in a civilized fashion.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-Apr-19 11:46:33

Farage has called for the EU elections to be boycotted. That should sort out the kippers ????.

varian Wed 10-Apr-19 11:51:26

I echo that Dinahmo and should like to make a plea that as many possible should vote for the Liberal Democrats - the party of Remain.

If you don't think the LibDems will win a seat, chose either the Greens, TIGs, SNP or PC, but remember that this is an election using PR so if you are in a region with 5 MEPs a party with >20% of the vote should get in.

For Remainers, I do not think there is any point art all in voting for the Labour Party or the Conservative Party as any vote for either of these parties at the 2017 GE was interpreted as a vote for brexit.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-Apr-19 11:57:30

It seems to me that this will inevitably become a Remain/leave election.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-Apr-19 13:06:01

A remain Tory MEP

www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/01/julie-girling-pro-remain-tory-mep-brexit?CMP=share_btn_tw

varian Wed 10-Apr-19 13:20:23

Julie Girling is an MEP, but not now a Tory MEP as she was expelled from the party she had supported all her life for her pro-Remain views. Utterly shocking how the Tory party has become "bluekip".

Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-Apr-19 13:26:18

Thank you for that information varian

Helps when we come to vote.

varian Wed 10-Apr-19 19:25:50

If you are in Northern Ireland and want to Remain in the EU, please vote for the Alliance Party, the non-sectarian party of Remian.

jura2 Wed 10-Apr-19 21:04:10

When are the WTO elections, please?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Apr-19 07:32:13

People understand now that this sort of message brings nothing but harm to our country.

We know that we are better than this, and our standards are so much higher than the message this charlatan is trying to convey.

pbs.twimg.com/media/D30jzrpWsAURChs.jpg

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Apr-19 08:24:14

Those calling the charlatans out are being crowdfunded. If you love their work, you might like to support them financially

www.crowdfunder.co.uk/by-donkeys

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Apr-19 10:50:03

The first poll. No surprise really.

www.theweek.co.uk/100708/labour-on-course-to-sweep-european-elections

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Apr-19 10:58:07

This is not good news for Farage who is trying to launch a new political party.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/19/trump-russia-inquiry-is-told-nigel-farage-may-have-given-julian-assange-data

varian Fri 12-Apr-19 13:05:53

I happened to hear a bit of Farage's speech to a roomful of unquestioning fans. It seemed quite bizarre that he tried to steal the slogan of one of the most effective pro-remain campaign groups - ledbydonkeys!

twitter.com/bydonkeys?lang=en

www.facebook.com/ledbydonkeys/

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/07/billboard-campaigners-brexit-led-by-donkeys

craftyone Fri 12-Apr-19 13:11:51

I have donated to the brexit party. Woo hoo, time for change, we, the majority, will not be stamped on, no longer

varian Fri 12-Apr-19 13:38:28

Donating to the brexit party?-Mr Putin would be proud of you.

paddyann Fri 12-Apr-19 13:41:39

I'd hold onto your cash crafty when/if brexit hits you'll need every penny you can get .

varian Fri 12-Apr-19 13:45:15

Did you check out the brexit party's website before you voted crafty?

thebrexitparty.com/

varian Fri 12-Apr-19 13:46:47

If you are an EU citizen resident in the U.K. you can register to vote in the elections for the European Parliament.

www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

MamaCaz Sat 13-Apr-19 08:31:41

I think people need to think very carefully about how they vote in the EU elections, should these happen.

IMO, it's really worrying that so many Leavers are gleefully planning to vote for UKIP candidates or the nearest equivalent.

Why do I think this is worrying?

Because our EU representatives are meant to represent our interests in the EU.
How can they possibly do that if their only motivation is to get us out.
Presumably, they intend to cause maximum disruption, which will be good for no one!

What's more, if for whatever reason we end up staying in the EU, we will effectively have no proper representation there, as I can't see those people continuing to play a constructive role in a union that they hate and wish to destroy.

Equally worrying is that so many ordinary people apparently don't intend to vote at all in these or any other elections in the near future, on the grounds that they 'have had enough of it all'.

That attitude is only going to make it easier for 'extremists' (of any persuasion)to get elected, almost by default, which is definitely not good for the country as a whole

Surely it's more important than ever to vote in any upcoming elections right now, even if it will take more thought than usual to choose a suitable candidate?