Gransnet forums

News & politics

Climate Change Protests - will they make a difference?

(792 Posts)
crystaltipps Wed 17-Apr-19 08:28:34

There has been so far 3 days of climate change protests in Central London and other locations. They’ve disrupted traffic and inconvenienced a few, but have been in the main peaceful and has had a festival atmosphere. It looks like these protests will continue. Personally I feel climate change is a really important issue and should be the one that our esteemed politicians should be acting on and discussing but they aren’t. I’m in no way part of this group but, with some reservations, applaud their efforts and hope it does bring the issue to the fore. It does highlight how far our police resources are stretched that they can’t be stopped though. If you don’t live or work in the capital you probably don’t care about the protest , but hopefully you do care about the issues, and these protests it may be coming to a town near you. What do others think?

Gonegirl Wed 17-Apr-19 19:25:40

confused Or perhaps they used public transport?

Gonegirl Wed 17-Apr-19 19:26:38

"Perhaps they all walked". Silly comment.

Callistemon Wed 17-Apr-19 19:28:28

Well, some public transport is quite polluting too.

You may think it is a silly comment, but their integrity and their message could be compromised if they used a polluting means of transport.

gillybob Wed 17-Apr-19 19:38:41

ordinary people who have taken 2 weeks off work to join the protest

Really ? How do you know that crystaltips ?

And for the record I do as much as I can at this moment in time . I can’t remember the last time I flew anywhere (not by choice I hasten to add) or even drove any kind of distance for that matter .

Short of changing our entire lives I’m not sure what more ordinary people like me can do .

M0nica Wed 17-Apr-19 19:39:26

Britain is one of the most active and proactive countries in the world when it comes to combatting climate change - that does not mean that more cannot be done.

If they really want to make a point they should be demonstrating in Beijing, Washington and Brasilia.

Callistemon perhaps some of the more enterprising and go-getting members of the public in London, took the opportunity to to recycle (sorry!) them on to other users grin

gillybob Wed 17-Apr-19 19:39:30

Buses around here are the worst (stinking) polluters !

Callistemon Wed 17-Apr-19 19:41:44

Short of changing our entire lives I’m not sure what more ordinary people like me can do
As I said, they are targeting the wrong people gillybob.

Perhaps they will now target the embassies, the oil companies, car manufacturers etc.

Gonegirl Wed 17-Apr-19 19:42:26

I would think they used trains. Like my grandson did.

Gonegirl Wed 17-Apr-19 19:44:09

I am extremely proud that my grandsons care enough about our planet to join in these demonstrations. At least they are doing something.

Gonegirl Wed 17-Apr-19 19:46:33

And they are certainly not "hippies". Nor are they taking off work. They are on school holidays.

These demonstrations will help to concentrate people's minds. And our own country is a good place to start.

Gonegirl Wed 17-Apr-19 19:51:55

God, there's some rubbish been talked on this thread.

gillybob perhaps you should try demonstrating outside your council offices. Buses down here run on clean fuel.

janipat Wed 17-Apr-19 20:43:14

Gonegirl you really feel it's fair for London to have to endure this disruption until 29th April? Why target ordinary Londoners trying to earn a living, get to hospital appointments etc Why not target those who actually can do something, their local MP, local council, foreign embassies of the most polluting countries or would that not be exciting enough?

crystaltipps Wed 17-Apr-19 20:56:56

Some have taken time off work actually to protest, they aren’t all out of work layabouts as some seem to be implying. I can’t believe there's so much negativity towards people who care about the environment - oh so they haven’t all walked there - so that means they can’t be serious. I agree sitting in the middle of the road is not necessarily my protest method of choice, but shouldn’t we all wake up to climate change? Oh no, let’s just knit our own yoghurt and feel smug because other countries are worse off. They can choke in their smog before we do.

crystaltipps Wed 17-Apr-19 21:00:06

Yes I do know some people who have taken time off work to protest before you claim no one has.

M0nica Wed 17-Apr-19 21:13:36

It is just that their protests have probably increased pollution, all those vehicles caught up in traffic jams because of the demonstrations. Those using cars because public transport is also disrupted.

I feel about these demonstrators, as I have felt of others through time. If they would only engage their minds as well as their feet they could demonstrate more effectively and cause less ill feeling.

gillybob Wed 17-Apr-19 21:16:13

They are on school holidays

Oh yes I see gonegirl so they are mostly teachers then , well I suppose they can afford to waste a few days of their vast holidays.

Personally I get 4 weeks annual holiday, most of which I spend looking after my grandchildren who’s parents also only get 4 weeks. Certainly not enough time off to spend making everyone else’s lives a misery, ruining other people’s holidays and daily commutes. Stopping people from reaching essential hospital appointments and preventing others from getting to their jobs .

Hardly a great way to gain support ..... incidentally I wonder how carbon neutral each one of them really are ? ?

Jabberwok Wed 17-Apr-19 21:17:15

I'm sure they're serious, but, you know, put your money where your mouth is!! I certainly wouldn't be proud of my granddaughter for causing so much disruption against people who are probably being put to great, maybe life threatening inconvenience for days on end. If she were to protest outside an embassy, or even better, a foreign polluting country's government buildings, then that would be admirable, but in the safety of the UK? I don't think so!

Urmstongran Wed 17-Apr-19 21:20:47

Our eldest daughter is 41y. She has always been an ‘environmentalist’ girl. In her teens (in the 90’s) she got nicknamed Miss Save the Whale (bless!).

Apparently one of the biggest things one can do to save the planet is to not have a child. - using up resources, so many other things I forget... anyway she put her money where her mouth is, so no grandchildren from this daughter.

Gonegirl Wed 17-Apr-19 21:24:00

gillybob I was talking about my grandsons when I said they are on school hols. I have no idea who the adult protesters are or what they do.

Urmstongran Wed 17-Apr-19 21:38:16

why would an eco warrior block public transport?
Fools.

GabriellaG54 Wed 17-Apr-19 21:39:47

If we cut down on our buying gas-guzzling 4×4s, clothes...blah blah, it will put people out of work.
Imagine everyone in the UK pledging not to buy anything new for a whole year, apart from food.
What about the shops which keep the window displays lit up like Blackpool illuminations 24/7 and stores like Currys who have banks of tvs on all day?
My own village cuts down on street lighting at night and many shops use bamboo and re-use pulp as food cartons. Waitrose don't have 5p plastic bags and most people I know and see, have re-usable hessian bags.
I myself am a low energy user, lower than the energy users lowest scale for a single person household but no matrer how much we conserve, how few flights we take (and GNs do fly a fair bit) or how often we use public transport (and I certainly do) other countries, especially Asia and the USA are criminally responsible for doing nothing about it.
The BBC iPlayer programme Storyville about their Facebook employees in Asia, shows the squalid conditions in which they live, the absolute mountains of rubbish in their communities yet the company has no interest in a movement to educate these countries and help reduce the waste.
My using a low energy bulb is but one grain of sand in all the deserts on the planet.

Urmstongran Wed 17-Apr-19 21:42:40

Oh the irony of all the litter in the photos including plastic bottles!

Alexa Wed 17-Apr-19 22:01:44

Yes Urmstongran, but this daughter of yours is part of the solution not part of the problem.

janipat Wed 17-Apr-19 22:13:38

Gonegirl did you miss my question about is it fair that Londoners trying to go about their lives are to be disrupted this way, until 29th April if one of the organisers gets their way? I support every effort to save this world, I just don't see how hurting ordinary people is the way to do it, it hasn't saved one gram of carbon and will actually have added to pollution.

Anja Wed 17-Apr-19 22:47:54

They have my support because unless someone creates a big fuss nothing will get done and time in running out.

Actually I think it’s too late anyway.

Good on them for caring and protesting because most people either don’t give a damn or clutch their pearls at these ‘awful people’