Gransnet forums

News & politics

Climate Change Protests - will they make a difference?

(792 Posts)
crystaltipps Wed 17-Apr-19 08:28:34

There has been so far 3 days of climate change protests in Central London and other locations. They’ve disrupted traffic and inconvenienced a few, but have been in the main peaceful and has had a festival atmosphere. It looks like these protests will continue. Personally I feel climate change is a really important issue and should be the one that our esteemed politicians should be acting on and discussing but they aren’t. I’m in no way part of this group but, with some reservations, applaud their efforts and hope it does bring the issue to the fore. It does highlight how far our police resources are stretched that they can’t be stopped though. If you don’t live or work in the capital you probably don’t care about the protest , but hopefully you do care about the issues, and these protests it may be coming to a town near you. What do others think?

petra Sun 05-May-19 14:50:16

Callistemon
I've always had an unfortunate disposition where I've always been able to see through people like Emma Thompson and her mother. Another two that spring to mind are Gwyneth Paltrow and Sting and his wife.

Callistemon Sun 05-May-19 14:54:49

petra
I think it is quite fortunate to be able to see through frauds.
smile

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-May-19 14:59:16

I have been very alarmed recently at the amount of netting being carried out. I understand that a government committe is going to discuss it and are inviting comments. If anyone is, like me upset at the sight of housemartins clinging onto netting trying to get to their ancestral nesting sites, after flinging thousands of miles to get to them, or sparrows unable to seek safety or nesting sites in hedgerows please do voice your concern so that the committee can take them into consideration,
Thank you

Mycatisahacker Sun 05-May-19 15:23:31

They really are very annoying boring self absorbed bores arnt they.

KatyK Sun 05-May-19 15:58:06

Greg Wise was smug and superior on Stand up to Cancer Celebrity Bake Off. He won unfortunately.

Callistemon Sun 05-May-19 17:11:22

Whitewavemark2 I read an article about small birds being deliberately netted in north African countries, particularly Egypt, on their migratory flights here. They are then sold for food.

What can be done about it?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-May-19 17:17:38

No I’m talking about netting in the U.K. But I take your point callistemon

GabriellaG54 Sun 05-May-19 18:01:34

Funny you should mention housemartins Whitewavemark2 as I was listening to Caravan of Love this morning for the first time in about 30 years.
I too though you meant the netting in Cyprus but had no idea it went on in the UK.
Dreadful practice.

Callistemon Sun 05-May-19 19:35:28

What is the world doing?

These birds are flying the gauntlet from their winter homes through north Africa, chancing Malta en route.

No wonder they are in decline.
angry

Grany Mon 06-May-19 10:17:26

Yes they will make a difference because it is now a climate emergency well done those young people.

MPs endorse Corbyn’s call to declare climate emergency

MPs have endorsed a Labour motion to declare a formal climate and environment emergency, with Jeremy Corbyn hailing the move as a necessary response to school climate strikers and groups such as Extinction Rebellion.

The Labour leader said the decision by the Commons to pass the motion without a vote “can set off a wave of action from parliaments and governments around the globe”. Conservative MPs were told to not oppose the motion.

www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/01/declare-formal-climate-emergency-before-its-too-late-corbyn-warns

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-May-19 10:24:15

Now we have an emergency over the decline of species. It is all so desperate.

Very close to home we have an example of what is happening on the South Downs. My son, an environmentalist was exasperated at the lack of diversity in whole swathes of the downland chalkland because of the overgrazing of sheep. He was moaning that loads of plant species are in danger of being lost along with all the butterflies, insects and birds that depend on them. We only need to look out of our windows to understand what is happening.

soldiersailor Mon 06-May-19 13:06:13

I'm afraid I can't take the Guardian too seriously. This article was very informative:

notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2019/05/06/what-ever-happened-to-monbiots-global-meltdown/

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-May-19 13:30:16

Very informative hmm

Grany Tue 07-May-19 05:08:52

soldiersailor I don't trust the Guardian either or the other right wing papers The Mail, The Sun, The Express. But this Guardian artical just presented the facts of what Labour is doing has done in regards a call to declare climate emergency.

crystaltipps Tue 07-May-19 06:06:22

There are over. A million species in serious danger due to human activity in stripping the planet of its resources. It is an emergency. It’s the most important issue of our times. It’s got to come right to the front of any discussion. Yet people are too selfish to individually give up eating meat, wearing cheap clothes, driving fast cars and long haul holidays. There has to be international government action. Our government are too busy looking up their own backsides to do anything positive.

Granny23 Wed 08-May-19 07:59:40

www.commonspace.scot/articles/14213/analysis-defeat-aviation-lobby-first-win-those-who-take-scotland-s-climate-emergency

Well someone IS taking Climate change seriously.

What do you think of that?