Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit-what else?

(273 Posts)
Mollygo Wed 27-Mar-19 09:01:35

Just joined GN and I thought this would be the place to ask. On the news today I heard them talking about getting rid of Mrs May and getting a “proper brexiteer”.
What’s one of those?

crystaltipps Thu 11-Apr-19 06:20:14

Still blaming the EU I see. It’s Theresa May with the begging bowl though. Some still believe it’s nothing to do with us natch. I’m coming to like Donald Tusk, such a calm gentleman in the truest sense. We could do with a politician like him. Instead we’ve got Billy Bunter spitting into the camera. Nice.

Urmstongran Thu 11-Apr-19 06:54:27

Just the 400 out of 650 MP’s in the HoC then? Many of whom are directly voting against what their Leaver constituents want.

crystaltipps Thu 11-Apr-19 07:14:48

More like Cabinet ministers voting against their government?

Urmstongran Thu 11-Apr-19 07:16:35

Yes. The Remainers again.
* sigh

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Apr-19 07:26:23

All Hallows’ Eve. 6 more months to try to get back to sanity.

One good suggestion. We know that participants in the Leave campaign have been taken to court and deemed to have acted illegally in that they broke Election Rules.
We also know that they used nefarious means through outfits like Cambridge Analytica etc.

Civilised countries like Switzerland, recognise crime when they see it, and we should follow their example.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47879777

crystaltipps Thu 11-Apr-19 08:16:49

It’s not the remainers in the cabinet who have voted against May.
Sigh.....

Lily65 Thu 11-Apr-19 08:32:44

We look like complete fools, its embarrassing. Sigh......

GrannyGravy13 Thu 11-Apr-19 09:09:44

Lily65 I am sorry “we look like complete fools, it’s embarrassing”

No the H of Cs and the H of Ls look like fools......the British People and Britain do not.

It’s our elected and non elected politicians who created this mess, not the general public. They (DC) called the referendum, they pledged to act on it, they invoked Article 50........not one of them singularly or collectively had a plan!!!!!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Apr-19 09:16:47

The Home Office appears like a rogue department, with scandal after scandal. It needs a complete overhaul. We are better than this.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-47888214?__twitter_impression=TRUE

Nonnie Thu 11-Apr-19 10:39:56

I had coffee with a friend yesterday and we discussed Brexit. She voted leave and I voted remain. Neither of us insulted the other or showed a lack of interest in the other's opinion. We both made valid points and neither of us changed our minds and we are still friends. We both thought the economy was the most important factor but disagreed about the best way of achieving a good economy.

I think we both agreed that we have been let down by politicians and that the media is biased. It is no wonder that leave voters get referred to as unintelligent when the BBC interview people who clearly have no clue what is going on and say things like I saw last night "I'm never going to vote again". Why show such interviews, why not show people who have opinions backed up with information?

shandi6570 Thu 11-Apr-19 10:41:22

Aaaah.....by the time the MPs heave a sigh of relieve that they can go off for Easter and then their long jollies for the summer break, how much time will really be given to resolving this impossible situation. Very little probably.

I just despair I really do and I feel for all the small and medium companies out there who don't know where they are and where to turn next.

I think this new date is the worst of all worlds, either out or a long extension to properly sort out the mess we are in would have been better. If out at least then the British public would know what we are facing, not more of this awful drawn out debacle.

I'm retired, no one in my family owns a business or seems to be in a job that will be badly affected and I have only ever been semi interested in politics, although always voted.

However, I find myself watching and reading the news every day with increasing dread and am beginning to feel ill with all this shilly shallying and shenanigans in the HoC and fear for the future of our country and children.

Nonnie Thu 11-Apr-19 10:42:18

Does anyone else feel sorry for political correspondents like Katya A an Laura K? They have to try to sound interesting night after night and have opinions about what is going to happen. They might as well just record one thing and play it over and over again!

I do like that a few newsreaders are now robust enough to challenge some of the rubbish talked by politicians.

Lily65 Thu 11-Apr-19 12:02:42

GG my " we" encompasses the whole damn lot. Cameron for starting it and disappearing, the people who thought they were signing up for regaining control of our borders and sovereignty, and this absolute disgrace we have playing out in the Conservative party.

I note immigration has risen. What a disgrace. I'm not one for flag waving and patriotism but this country is a laughing stock.

Urmstongran Thu 11-Apr-19 12:14:54

Yes Nonnie just like all of us on these threads hehe! Only one or two posters have changed their minds and the rest of us are entrenched in our beliefs. At least none of us lot have to speak into a microphone on live tv night after night!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 11-Apr-19 12:20:44

Lily65, I am sorry to disagree with you, but I stand by my previous post.

"The Politicians" are a laughing stock, not the general public or the UK.

We travel within Europe and elsewhere frequently and they are not laughing at this Country or it's population.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 11-Apr-19 12:34:40

"Just the 400 out of 650 MP’s in the HoC then? Many of whom are directly voting against what their Leaver constituents want."

Urmstongran they are not supposed to have to vote as their constituents want; they are not delegates. We have elect representatives to make the decisions for us. Why not stand as an MP yourself if you think you could do better?

varian Thu 11-Apr-19 12:50:00

My MP is consistently acting against what his Remain voting constituents want.

Lily65 Thu 11-Apr-19 13:17:26

GG but the politicians are the public face of the UK?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 11-Apr-19 13:27:59

Really Lily65? I do not judge Americans by President Trump, Germans by Chancellor Merkel or The French by Macron???

Lily65 Thu 11-Apr-19 13:37:04

I wouldn't say I judge a whole country by one person, that's foolish. But I think the outside world if you like looks at our politicians and wonders whats what?

I don't know GG, I feel sad about it. It's all such a mess.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 11-Apr-19 13:50:07

Lily65 I feel sad also.

I also feel very cross that DC masterminded the referendum with no plan / plans in place in the event that the result was leave. Then the coward walked away!!!!

twiglet77 Thu 11-Apr-19 13:59:22

I have never thought there is any possibility that the UK will leave the EU with 'No Deal'. That situation would mean we had far more autonomy over trade than the EU would allow.

And so it goes on... and on...

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Apr-19 15:25:19

I’ve noticed how loads of people have been impressed with Tusk. His apparent good manners and sophistication seems to be impressing everyone who recognise these things.

He is clearly a person of integrity and strength, having been imprisoned in his fight against communism. We could do with some of this leadership style in the U.K.
I see the Telegraph are supporting Francois as possible leadership material.

I am sure we have higher standards than such an unfortunate “little corporal”

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Apr-19 15:29:54

Where next?

www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/11/brexit-may-deal-european-elections-what-next

MaizieD Thu 11-Apr-19 15:37:51

DC masterminded the referendum

Not sure that 'mastermind' is quite the right verb to use here...