Gransnet forums

News & politics

The embarrassment of the Tories

(346 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Apr-19 08:10:54

“It is said that those whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad”
This is a quote in a newspaper editorial, which I thought extremely apt.
The editorial is headed
“Britain is being ruled by a party that has lost its political bearings”
Goes on to outline the reckless ill discipline so evident in the government, and in particular the leak over the Huawei decision, which defied two of the fundamental rules of British government -

Collective responsibility and official secrecy.

We can rely on neither of those concepts with this dreadful government.

If a government fails in such fundamentals it has failed completely.

Mycatisahacker Fri 26-Apr-19 08:31:10

It is dreadful and when I look at the alternative of a self confessed Marxist and an equally inept shadow cabinet I think it’s quite frightening.

I simply can’t remember a worse bunch of politicians on all sides in my life.

sodapop Fri 26-Apr-19 08:35:13

Think you have said it all mycatisahacker Totally agree.

Mycatisahacker Fri 26-Apr-19 08:42:24

Indeed I hate drama but honestly I think these are frightening times for our country.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Apr-19 08:44:08

I am (as I am sure others are on this forum) bound for life by the OSA, and I respect that need to ensure secrecy over governmental matters entirely.

If I was found at fault I would be criminally prosecuted, and rightly so.

I expect the same of this government.

Luckygirl Fri 26-Apr-19 08:46:43

It is indeed a sorry situation. Where are the statespersons? People we can trust and admire to run the country honestly and with integrity?

Mycatisahacker Fri 26-Apr-19 08:52:40

Yes I heard the leaker! Could be prosecuted. It’s disgraceful isn’t it.

There are no states people are there just all seem to be out for themselves with very little talent and very little moral scruples or any idea of public service

Anniebach Fri 26-Apr-19 08:57:42

Agree with Mycatisahacker

The leaker will not be named

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Apr-19 09:01:32

We must bear in mind that the security of the NSC
HAS NEVER BEFORE BEEN BREACHED.

Something is very rotten in the Tories.

Anniebach Fri 26-Apr-19 09:07:30

Someone is very rotten in the tories

Charleygirl5 Fri 26-Apr-19 09:09:06

Maybe Whitewave but the opposition, in my opinion, is worse. There is nobody in any party who I would consider voting for and that is a first.

Anniebach Fri 26-Apr-19 09:12:21

Same for me Charleygirl

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Apr-19 09:13:27

The defence secretary is the prime suspect, as amongst a cabinet not known for its intelligence only he is considered stupid enough to think there would be no comeback in his pursuit of the leadership.

The civil servants expect blame to be directed at them, - but given the total lack of cabinet discipline, where leaks are only delayed by the extent that ministers are able to retrieve their phones which have been taken away from them to prevent “live” coverage if cabinet meetings - no one will take that seriously.

Grandad1943 Fri 26-Apr-19 09:23:34

Anniebach Quote [ Someone is very rotten in the tories] End Quote.

All of the Tory Party is totally rotten Anniebach. They have no idea how to move the Brexit process forward. They have no policy on the Housing crisis, the Gig Economy and very much more.

This has to be the worst government Britain has had since the collapse of the Chamberlain led Tory government in 1940.

As was shouted from the Backbenches at that time should be shouted repeatedly again today, that being "FOR GODS SAKE GO."

Anniebach Fri 26-Apr-19 09:25:41

I disagree granddad1943 there are decent tories

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Apr-19 09:26:36

To get an idea of the sensitivity of this breach, bear in mind that no disclosure of prosecution under this Act has ever been forthcoming.

This leak is absolutely shocking.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Apr-19 09:27:57

Collective responsibility annie or is that a value you are willing to release?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Apr-19 09:31:58

I read that Williamson has blamed the civil service.

Is there no integrity?

varian Fri 26-Apr-19 09:32:17

Can you imagine the outcry there would have been from the right if this leak had happened under a Labour government?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Apr-19 09:33:28

Nothing like this has ever happened under a Labour government.

M0nica Fri 26-Apr-19 09:40:01

Grandad comments like yours are the reason the current situation is so dreadful. You are contributing and showing why things are so bad

Nothing will change until people on all sides start respecting people with different political views to them. To accept that just because someone thinks differently to you it does not mean they are corrupt, criminal or stupid. Just that having thought things through and reached different conclusions to you.

What started as cross party contempt and disrespect has inevitable now spread to the parties themselves and they are all divided and factional and ighting each others like ferrets in a sack.

Let the parties start by accepting that each party can contain groups of people with differing opinions, drawn together by a common political philosphy and that none of them have a monopoly of the truth.

When there is respect and honesty within political parties then there is the possibility that the different parties can respect each other.

If any party thinks abusing other members in their own group is a way to win votes they are mistaken. Political unity of opinion only exists in dictatorships and political chaos and disillusion in democracy is the first step on the slippery slow to dictaorship.

Mycatisahacker Fri 26-Apr-19 09:41:11

I don’t think this has ever happened under any government has it?

Honestly this is the worst government I can ever remember but who the hell would you vote for in a GE???? Labour front bench are a shambles.

It seems to me if the back benches on both sides moved to the front bench and the front benches moved way back things might b better.

Really it’s frightnng.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Apr-19 09:47:18

mycat I couldn’t possibly comment with regardthe Tory party and OFA.

But bear in mind the Profumo scandal. The Tories have history.

Urmstongran Fri 26-Apr-19 09:48:35

There’s increasing talk of a GE soon. If so at least our votes will count and we can generate a good clear out. I predict some surprises!

At least with a shuffle round and some new faces and opinions, the whole Brexit issue might make headway and actually move on to other important issues. No wonder we are getting sick of it with this inept logjam.

Charleygirl5 Fri 26-Apr-19 09:52:14

The Labour Party is not whiter than white with Tony Blair.