Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit and MEPs?

(106 Posts)
fourormore Fri 26-Apr-19 13:03:48

Forgive me if this has already been asked or if I am totally bonkers and bewildered hmm - I have checked through recent threads and haven't come across anything about it!

We have just received polling cards to vote on 23rd May for MEPs. Am I missing something? As I understand it the Brexit vote means we will be leaving the EEC sometime between now and infinity. Will we still have MEPs?

maxdecatt Sat 27-Apr-19 15:13:10

You said it all in just a few words "over here the French". That told us that you are an expat and are desperate to have a say in how the rest of us that have not run away from the UK should lead our lives. If you want to be heard get back here pronto, otherwise keep your expat opinions to yourself.

maxdecatt Sat 27-Apr-19 15:14:03

That lasrt was for the beneit iof annifrance.

Mojomax Sat 27-Apr-19 15:37:20

“Dinahmo” I’m mearly stating the fact of someone (Varian) saying “Vote Liberal, Stop Brexit and “ Revoke article 50” is blatantly campaigning for a certain political party!

“Maxdecat” there is absolutely no reason to be rude! I didn’t say anything about people giving their opinion and I certainly didn’t mention any particular political campaign. I wasn’t rude to anyone! But you only read what you wanted to read and flame me for it. Of course it’s a political discussion and anyone it entitled to express their own, but not to tell people to vote in a particular way, I would call that campaigning, wouldn’t you!

Legs55 Sat 27-Apr-19 15:41:45

I paid a visit to Brussels in 1989, during a Seminar at the EU Building it was clear that the only contribution by the UK was our financial input, that is all they wanted us for & one of the reasons they don't want us to leave. There was no mention of any goods etc that the UK produces although we were lectured on the contributions of France Germany et al.

EU cannot balance "the books" which have not been audited for years, if the EU was a UK Company run on those lines it would have been struck off at Companies House.

I have wanted to leave the EU for 30 years as they perceive the UK as merely a cash cow.

Orelse Sat 27-Apr-19 16:06:05

Silly nanny isn't silly .. saying what we all think !

varian Sat 27-Apr-19 16:37:55

How on earth do you know what we all think Orelse?

We all have different thoughts and opinions which we freely discuss on the politics forum.

We are in the run up to important elections. Some folk have made up their minds how to vote, others are unsure and some may chose not vote at all.

Those of us who have strong views are free to express them and to back them up with arguments and evidence. Call it campaigning if you like. That is what political discussion is about.

Anyone who prefers not to engage with those of different views should stick to the other forums.

NannyC2 Sat 27-Apr-19 16:43:52

I too will vote for the Brexit party if MEP elections go ahead....and, I am very pleased Ann Widdicombe is coming out of retirement to be with the Brexit party, regardless of those who may disagree.

France was mentioned in one comment but interestingly it was stated by a spaniard on TV news that they feared Spain was falling apart!
Headline recently......"SPAIN could descend into a bloody civil war over the crisis in Catalonia, a top EU official has warned".
We are not the only ones in a 'mess.'

petra Sat 27-Apr-19 17:02:42

Orelse
Sillynanny isn't the only one who understands exactly how the voting works in the eu parliament wink

MaizieD Sat 27-Apr-19 17:21:48

It's also very noticeable how many of them speak German.

Good heavens, petra. Does it not occur to you that this might be because they were once part of the Austrian Empire?

It's also very noticeable that an awful lot of Europeans speak English. Could be a sign of English dominance, perhaps? hmm

MaizieD Sat 27-Apr-19 17:25:44

maxdecatt Sat 27-Apr-19 15:13:10

What a shameful post.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Apr-19 17:29:44

maizie ?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Apr-19 17:32:03

That was in reaction to German dominance. I had to titter at the time of the post.

JohnD Sat 27-Apr-19 19:27:30

Revoke Article 50 would mean goodbye to democracy in this country. With self centred hypocrits running the country, it could happen, as they are guaranteed their pensions which many of them do not need or have never worked for.

varian Sat 27-Apr-19 19:35:05

We said goodbye to democracy when the fraudulent referendum which was corrupted by foreign interference, lies and cheating, was treated as an instruction when it was legally only advice. The advice of a minority. Almost 50 million UK citizens never voted for any kind of brexit. We all now know it would irrevocably harm our country. Of course it should be stopped.

GabriellaG54 Sat 27-Apr-19 19:56:49

I do wish that certain people would stop trotting out the same old 0 'almost 50m people didn't vote to leave'
That is because the majority of that number didn't get off their backsides to vote. They obviously had better more important things to do or thought it would be a given that remain would win. Now they moan.
It cannot be supposed that had they been forced to vote that the result would have been any different.
If they missed the boat due to laziness...too bad. We're not turning back.

GabriellaG54 Sat 27-Apr-19 19:57:44

Some people need to change the record. It's boring.

GabriellaG54 Sat 27-Apr-19 19:58:43

icanhandthemback Sat 27-Apr-19 20:03:50

What are Remainers going to do if another referendum said Leave? Would they accept the vote or want another referendum? If a large part of the electorate don’t vote, does that mean that nothing would ever change because there was never enough of the voting population to affect it?

petra Sat 27-Apr-19 20:22:59

MaizieD
From what Bulgarian friends tell me they would rather have had the chance to work in the uk but that wasn't possible.

MaizieD Sat 27-Apr-19 21:11:15

Why wasn't it possible, petra?

Did they work in other EU member states?

amt101 Sat 27-Apr-19 21:52:57

I’m voting Brexit and hoping there are enough candidates for Brexit to stand in the GE. I’ve read German history and since Germany united in the 1800s they have wanted and planned for a federal Europe.
No one thinks about recent British history. In the 90s we let Germany off their reparations to help them but continued to pay money back to the USA. We also had 50 years of the cost of keeping troops in Western Germany. No wonder we were broke. Everyone talks about the efficiency of Germany and don’t look at the British side.

Grandad1943 Sat 27-Apr-19 22:31:19

GabriellaG54 Quote [We're not turning back.] End Quote.

I believe GabriellaG54 that Britain has already "turned back" on the plan to leave the European Union. I seem to recall that March the 29th was the long-promised date by Theresa May that the UK would finally depart the EU. That, of course, did not happen due to the incompetence of this Tory government.

So, now it could now just possibly happen on May the 22nd, or the 30th of June, or the end of October, with a clause to have Britains membership of the EU extended beyond that.

Perhaps there will be a second referendum or more likely a General Election with the result meaning that Britain does leave at all?

The above means that Britain has already turned back, and may well turn back even further, or just remain in the European Union exactly as we are now.

What a situation, and its all due to the total incompetence of this Tory government and no other body whatsoever.

GabriellaG54 Sun 28-Apr-19 01:44:24

Grandad1943
Be assured, we WILL leave.

Ankara2005 Sun 28-Apr-19 05:43:50

Give it a rest please.

Ankara2005 Sun 28-Apr-19 05:49:42

That remark was intended for "Varian".