Gransnet forums

News & politics

A fishy speech.

(32 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Mon 29-Apr-19 04:04:53

After listening to Ms Sturgeon's speech on pushing Scottish independence and a new currency, is that the wish of most voters in Scotland or simply the SNP agenda?

Lucylastic Mon 29-Apr-19 22:17:27

Support for independence comes from a far broader range of voters then just SNP members, and since the advent of Brexit I hear more and more people voicing disquiet with the notion of Scotland being taken out of Europe against the wishes of the majority here. So Brexit might in fact increase the desire for self determination.
Regarding independence, we know and accept there will be difficulties to overcome in dissolving the union with the rest of the UK, but they pale in comparison with the bourach of Westminster's attempts to exit the EU.

Mycatisahacker Tue 30-Apr-19 09:02:12

SueDomin

Everyone I know whose been to Scotland says it’s beautiful so I will go one day grin

Jane10 Tue 30-Apr-19 14:38:04

'Difficulties' ?!! They'd make the Brexit debacle look like a spot of bother!

Floradora9 Tue 30-Apr-19 15:30:32

no no no I do not want either of these things, it is difficult enough taking Scottish bank notes to England at the moment .

Lucylastic Tue 30-Apr-19 17:15:46

Yes, dissolving the union will necessitate an intense period of negotiation between Holyrood and Westminster.
Slovakia and the Czech Republic achieved something very similar in 1993 (the Velvet Divorce) with both countries now thriving as independent nations.
However, nobody is saying that the process of gaining independence will be easy.
But it will be worth it.

SueDonim Tue 30-Apr-19 19:02:09

Mcem, I never claimed to be speaking for you or your family. confused