Gransnet forums

News & politics

What on Earth

(48 Posts)
Mycatisahacker Wed 08-May-19 21:12:15

Is happening?

So a Jewish Brexit candidate has a huge swastika painted on his house wall!

Anna Soubery couldn’t go home after the chanting outside Parliament!

Vile vile rape threats to Jess Phillips from a ukip candidate that said ‘it was a joke’

Lammy disgracefully accusing other MPs of being Nazis

Everything is becoming hateful. Can we not disagree anymore without racist xenophobic hate and threats being slung around?

I think Its getting very frightening

BusterTank Fri 10-May-19 11:06:38

Racism has been around for years , you can't blame brexit for everything . People are very quick to use the racist and ethnic card these days . It's funny how the white English are the ones accused of being racist . It's seems any other cultures can call us names and dictate what we do but as soon has we speak up , we are the bad people . How's that fair .

4allweknow Fri 10-May-19 11:32:46

Definitely the media in the way events or non events are reported. Sensationalism is a must. People now want everything instantly and feel they have an entitlement to whatever they want whether they can afford it,
or actually need it. It's 'I must have' mentality. Politicians especially with Brexit have applied the same, it's to be what the party or now individuals within a party wants. No thought on what democracy told them they wanted. It's all about power. Racism is the same, power over those who are different from themselves.

Nanniejc1 Fri 10-May-19 11:35:17

Brexit is being blamed for everything,its ridiculous......
We has a democratic vote & it should have been carried out.Ordinary people are sick of being ignored,lots of people are on the breadline,we have food banks,the NHS is in crisis,we have ex servicemen living on the streets & everything seems to be spiralling out of control.There are nasty people on both sides of the argument but the people voted for Brexit democratically nearly 3years ago & the government has done nothing to implement it.It is quite obvious that Mrs May had no intentions of taking us out of the EU & even if her deal gets passed we will still be tied to the EU ,pay them millions & have to be ruled by them.Is there any wonder that people are furious........May needs to step down & let a Brexiteer take over,she has made our country a laughing stock.Its not just in our country,all over Europe people are unhappy ,look at France......Cant see Macron being their leader for much longer.I am not a racist but really think it’s time our government put our own people first.Im worried about the future for my grandchildren,I live in a relatively quiet part of the country thank goodness but feel sorry for the people who live in the big cities where it’s changing beyond all recognition.

CarlyD7 Fri 10-May-19 11:36:59

The veneer of "civilisation" is always very thin and a lot of racist hatred has been seething underneath it for a very long time. They have been fed by the discontent of whole areas of this country which have been left to rot whilst the smug middle classes (of which I am one - regretfully) have stood back and done nothing or very little to alleviate their poverty and lack of opportunities. Brexit gave the opportunity for politicians - only interested in their own careers - to go back to the talk of "us and them" (just as Hitler did in order to rise to power in the 1930s) and for some of them, and parts of the media, to whip up anger and resentment, and threats of "there'll be riots on the streets" if Brexit doesn't go through. What happened to peace and democracy??? I now seriously hope that we stay in the EU and give a lesson to all the bully boys that it their tactics will not work in the UK. (If they win - God help us in the future).

Mcrc Fri 10-May-19 11:50:56

And the news media does not help. I do not watch the news anymore; don't go on Facebook. i have stopped Twitter and enjoy myself. I am not missing out. I pray and hope that people will be ok; but don't dwell on things I can't really solve.

Baggs Fri 10-May-19 11:54:47

Wise, mcrc. But I have discovered that such detachment itself is blameworthy by some people's reckoning. I don't believe it is. Stay strong.

123coco Fri 10-May-19 12:04:26

Lets just stop this will of people rubbish. We voted in the ‘70’s to be this n and by a huge margin. If the rules had been sensible and had a set majority people would have accepted it more even though it was so different and less honest than the first referendum. And WHICH Brexit did people actually vote for. The posters who are saying the will of the people should be respected should bear in mind we were asked on every simplistic question and I don’t believe for one moment most people knew about customs union. Irish border etc. I want my choice on the first referendum honoured. Not one Prime Minister since and including Margaret Thatcher has thought we would be better off leaving. That should count for something. And why aren’t leavers outraged about at how much money has already been wasted that could have spent on much needed services. In these insecure times we need to be joined to our nearest neighbours, not those across the Atlantic. History will not be kind to the people who took away the opportunities from the young which we have taken for granted.

Chino Fri 10-May-19 12:05:48

Agree Nanniejc1 - the country seems to be in a state of chaos but obviously the Mps don't care as they are having an 11 day holiday soon!!!

Nanniejc1 Fri 10-May-19 13:10:12

The privileged few have had their way for far too long,it’s time the ordinary ‘man on the street’ was listened to.......we voted to leave .....the ballot paper def said ‘leave or remain’ not some rubbish deal concocted by May & the EU.Unfortunately most of the ladies on this site are staunch remainers who think they know better than the rest of us ‘ignorant plebs’.We all have a right to our own opinion & I for one can’t wait for Brexit which hopefully we will eventually get

breeze Fri 10-May-19 13:20:21

Well there ya go Mycatisahacker the very soul of your post has been turned into an angry rant. Not what you wanted to achieve at all I imagine.

There are just so many angry people.

JohnD Fri 10-May-19 13:36:17

If I recall correctly it began when some remain followers branded those who voted Leave as ignorant and stupid. I cannot understand how racism enters the Brexit argument even though leaving would reduce the amount of immigrants entering the country.

Nanniejc1 Fri 10-May-19 13:44:07

Breeze I’m not angry ,just really disappointed that everything is in such a mess & still nobody listens to us.The country is very split & I can’t see how anything is going to change......we are always going to have the ‘have’s & have not’s’ .I think it’s very sad ....we can’t believe or trust many of our politicians & life is very difficult for some who are on a fixed income.

Nonnie Fri 10-May-19 13:51:31

If people did really vote on leave or remain, just that, with no knowledge of what it would mean for the country and future generations I think that was very wrong and very shortsighted and of course would seem to indicate that they were not very intelligent.

Either people took note of all that was said and promised or they didn't. Perhaps they just listened to the hype? I don't know but to suggest they just wanted to leave or remain without any thought is very worrying.

Nanniejc1 Fri 10-May-19 14:08:27

Oh well I must be one of the ignorant people because I voted to leave ....along with all my family & friends in fact I live in a county where most people voted to leave so we must all be ignorant,racist bigots along with all the others who want to leave.Surely a great country like ours should be allowed to make our own trade deals & govern ourselves?

varian Fri 10-May-19 14:14:58

Does any country actually trade on WTO rules alone? the answer is NO.

All 164 countries in WTO have trade treaties with other countries. Our treaties are with the EU and with countries which have treaties with the EU.

I wonder how many of the angry red-faced supporters of a "no-deal" brexit understand that?. My guess would be very few.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/brexit-explained/wto-rules-world-trade-organisation-brexit-no-deal-explained-a8742746.html

varian Fri 10-May-19 14:24:48

I have never heard anyone suggest that all leave voters are "ignorant racist bigots". Never. What is increasingly clear is that many leave voters were deceived into believing the liars of the leave campaign.

There is a saying "it is far easier to fool people than to get them to admit they have been fooled"

If any kind of brexit is allowed to go ahead, let alone a disastrous "no-deal" brexit, the only people in the UK who could possibly benefit are the tax dodging multi-millionaire disaster capitalists who are behind the leave campaign. They have already removed their money from the UK (as advised by John Redwood) and are ready to swoop down like vultures and buy up the assets of all the UK businesses which go bust, becoming tax-dodging billionaires and laughing all the way to the bank about the success of their deception.

The ordinary leave voters, their families and friends, should be careful what they wish for. If they persist in supporting this brexit nonsense, they may live to regret it. Think again before it is too late.

cassandra264 Fri 10-May-19 23:01:02

We used to run a b& b where for many years we welcomed visitors from all over Europe. Some became friends. We were horrified to hear from one such Polish family about their personal experience after the referendum. They had been British citizens for over 10 years; lived in private rented accommodation;worked hard and never claimed any benefits. However, the result had clearly given carte blanche to local racists in their area who after the result felt free to threaten all those they considered 'foreigners'and frighten their children.Our friends told us 'We live in an area where 70% voted Leave. We now feel that 2 out of 3 people hate us.This never happened before.' This sounded to us like Nazi Germany. No, not everyone who voted Leave would behave like this. But yes - it's scary.
This family have now returned to Poland.sad

janipat Fri 10-May-19 23:31:20

Mycatisahacker it is very worrying at how polarised people seem to have become.

From other threads it became apparent that if you dared disagree about the method of delivery of a message you weren't bothered about the message, were totally wrong, to be ridiculed etc

Why people can't just disagree without either the sarcastic put downs or superior jibes is beyond me. People's motives are condemned and insulted without any consideration that behind every user name is a real person with real feelings.

It's very sad that too many of us think we can type anything we like, then just return to real life, without considering the impact our keyboard warrior posts have on others.

Dinahmo Fri 10-May-19 23:55:27

Nanniejcl - most of us understand that people have been very badly treated and that the NHS is in crisis, etc etc. But this is not the fault of the EU, it is the fault of the last 10 years of austerity created by the Tory government. They told us that cuts to services were necessary in order to reduce the National Debt. However, this country has had a debt since the time of William 111 when he engaged a syndicate of city traders and merchants to offer for sale an issue of government debt. This syndicate eventually became the Bank of England. The debt was used to finance the wars of John Churchill who became the first Duke of Marlborough. The debt reached a peak at the time of the Napoleonic Wars and was then reduced. It reached another peak at the time of WW1 and again WW11.

Government stocks, or gilts are a way of lending money to the government. So, whilst for the country they were a debt, for an individual they were a good investment because at one time the rates of interest were very high. Some of you may come across War Stocks or Bonds amongst your family papers.

Before the 2010 election the Tories were continually talking about the level of debt which was £960 billion. This increased to £1.5 trillion by 2015. One reason for this is the government borrowing money to fund, among other things, tax cuts. The ratio of debt to GDP was 119% in 2010, By 2017, after 7 years of austerity, it had reduced to 92.7% and is currently around 86%. During the period from 2010 to date the ratio for many other countries was higher, including that of the USA currently 108%, France 96% and Japan 236%.

At the time of the 2010 election I remember thinking that this was the first time in which a political party had raised the subject of the national debt to a prominent issue. Many political commentators were also querying this since our ratio was lower than many other countries (and I'm not talking 3rd world here).

I think that it was Mrs T who first talked about running the country as being the same as running a household financially and that one shouldn't get into debt. The fact is that many of us have mortgages so that on one side of the housekeeping book is the cost of the house (asset) and on the other is the loan (creditor). Over a period of time the loan is paid off and the asset remains.

After the 2010 election the Tory benches were occupied by several wealthy Eton/Oxbridge educated men with absolutely no idea how the majority of the population lived. These men have played fast and loose with our lives and are trying to do the same now. For the Goves and Johnsons of this world it is a game. They're like spoilt children who when things don't go their way, throw all their toys out of the pram or knock the board game over in a fit of pique. For them, it is like throwing a pack of cards in the air and watching how they land. Whatever the consequences of Brexit, they don't give a damn because they are not going to suffer financially.

I'm very sorry to say that we have the government that we deserve and the EU is not to blame for our current ills.

Dinahmo Sat 11-May-19 00:04:49

Cassandra264 - my BIL had Parkinsons and my SIL had carers to help her with him. One was a Polish man who came one day a week to take my BIL out or to sit with him at home whilst she had some time to herself. The carer was kind and helpful. When my SIL told him that she had voted Leave he was horrified and she couldn't understand why. Her children were also shocked at her vote. I'm afraid that she is an Express reader and believes everything that paper prints.

Nonnie Sat 11-May-19 10:29:08

Nanniejc1 I hope your post is not directed at me. If it is I suggest you read my post again. Not that I am suggesting you are not capable of understanding it of course.

varian Sat 11-May-19 13:16:04

The mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has 24-hour police protection after repeated threats on social media.

Khan, who was MP for Tooting before defeating Zac Goldsmith to succeed Boris Johnson as mayor, said levels of abuse had risen since the 2016 EU referendum.

In a three-month period last year, City Hall referred 17 cases to the police and 237 threats were made on social media, the Times reported.

Khan said the abuse had gone from “name-calling, trolling and threats to terrorism”.

He said: “I will not be cowed or bullied by these people, but you can’t escape the fact that those close to me are worried. It can’t be right that one of the consequences of me being the mayor of London and a Muslim in public life is that I have police protection.

“The referendum campaign allowed things to come to the surface and normalised things that should not be normalised.”

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/11/sadiq-khan-has-24-hour-police-protection-after-repeated-threats