Gransnet forums

News & politics

Danny Baker should be sacked immediately

(550 Posts)
maryeliza54 Thu 09-May-19 10:07:57

I wondered how long it would be - this BBC employed racist has tweeted a photo( which I won’t post) likening Archie to a chimpanzee. He’s now deleted it and issued a totally inadequate apology ( not that there could be an adequate one). What an absolute shit - I really think he should be sacked immediately

EllanVannin Thu 09-May-19 11:11:20

EVIL MAN !! I've never liked him and many others like him with their " new wave " humour--------which isn't funny and never was/is.
The law should come down heavily on him for his sick message, it would for anyone else, and the country against him too ! This is the result of Republican-minded individuals whose thoughts on our Royals are despicable !!

maryeliza54 Thu 09-May-19 11:16:58

Oy * EV* you cant get more Republican than me and I started the thread - my anti-racism trumps my Republicanism any day.

whywhywhy Thu 09-May-19 11:17:42

Good riddance to him. I have never liked the bloke and I hope he cannot get a job anywhere. Maybe a zoo might take him on, mucking out.

Sparklefizz Thu 09-May-19 11:24:23

Great news that he's been quickly sacked! Glad it didn't drag on.

Luckygirl Thu 09-May-19 11:26:59

Brilliant!!

SirChenjin Thu 09-May-19 11:34:08

Excellent news - it was obscene and he deserves to be charged with whatever they can throw at him (although I await the Daily Fail/Britain First types claiming it was just a joke).

And I'm a Republican minded individual... wink

seacliff Thu 09-May-19 11:41:50

He deserved to be sacked. Pretty stupid of him to show his true feelings, and then a total non apology.

Whatever you think of the Sussex family, it's not nice to read something like that about your new baby.

Baggs Thu 09-May-19 11:42:38

Chimpanzee is not a race. There may be races of chimpanzees for all I know though.

It's just a stupid remark in bad taste. Ignoring it would probably have more effect that expressing outrage.

Is it now "racist" to call a mischievous child a little monkey?

Baggs Thu 09-May-19 11:45:16

PS I've no idea who Danny Baker is. I think mob outrage is getting out of hand.

maryeliza54 Thu 09-May-19 11:46:02

FFS Baggs I actually was playing Baggs Bingo waiting for precisely the post you posted.

Baggs Thu 09-May-19 11:50:25

??

Eglantine21 Thu 09-May-19 11:52:05

Oh baggs, surely you know that comparing black people to monkeys, that is, just an animal, less than human was a way of justifying slavery and even today is used to denigrate and belittle.

So frustrating to be making a valid, if controversial, point is n a meeting and to be undermined by someone making ooo noises or ostentatiously scratching their armpit.

It wasn’t just stupid.

Cold Thu 09-May-19 11:52:50

Baggs - It's just a stupid remark in bad taste. Ignoring it would probably have more effect that expressing outrage. Is it now "racist" to call a mischievous child a little monkey?

Are you really that naive? It is absolutely racist to depict a baby born to a black mother as a monkey!

It is a common form of racist abuse against black people. Have you missed the 100s of articles recently about racists making monkey noises and throwing bananas at black footballers?

Even if you have managed to miss the implications I's am sure that Danny Baker knew exactly what he was doing as a lifelong Millwall supporter - a club known for a racist element among its supporters.

maryeliza54 Thu 09-May-19 11:55:32

Baggs isn’t naive

Cold Thu 09-May-19 11:59:26

No - pretty sad to read excuses for a racist attack on a 3 day old baby on Gransnet½

Baggs Thu 09-May-19 12:04:37

It is a common form of racist abuse against black people.

If it is naive not to have been aware of this, then I am naive.
I'm probably not aware of other "common forms" of racist abuse.

Eglantine21 Thu 09-May-19 12:06:34

Well now you know, do you still think it was just a silly thing to do?

crystaltipps Thu 09-May-19 12:07:53

There is a long history of comparing black people to monkeys. It goes back centuries. Danny B was stupid and crass, if not intentionally racist. He deserves to lose his job whichever explanation is the case.

grumppa Thu 09-May-19 12:09:29

And Baker is now complaining on social media about his treatment by the BBC

Perhaps Baggs would like to console him

grumppa Thu 09-May-19 12:10:51

Apologies to all My phone has developed an allergy to full stops

maryeliza54 Thu 09-May-19 12:13:23

I’ve just heard DB being ‘interviewed’ by James O’Brien on LBC - two white priveleged men stroking each other’s egos and too self absorbed and entitled to understand that even thoughtless stupidity carries consequences and should. Being a public figure carries many benefits and advantages ( and in both these men ridiculous salaries) and that has to be counterbalanced by responsibility for the consequences of their actions. Do you remember that awful case in the USA where two women got sacked for online posts about Michelle Obama being ‘ an ape in heels’? Who knew that was racist eh?

Baggs Thu 09-May-19 12:15:30

I think it was an extremely silly and rather nasty thing to do.

maryeliza54 Thu 09-May-19 12:16:09

Well Baggs why comment at all on this thread when you have that level of ignorance?!

Baggs Thu 09-May-19 12:17:48

Perhaps Baggs would like to console him.

Nope. I wasn't defending him, just trying to point out, without anyone understading, that 'racist' is used for things that it shouldn't be used for in my opinion.

SirChenjin Thu 09-May-19 12:19:19

Consider yourself now well informed Baggs. Now that's it's been explained to you, and knowing that Danny Baker is very well aware of what monkey means in relation to a black person, do you still think it's just mob outrage?

Or are all these coloured people just too sensitive nowadays hmm