Gransnet forums

News & politics

I think the Remain parties have got it wrong

(57 Posts)
Nonnie Tue 14-May-19 13:23:56

What is the point of challenging NF and his supporters? They won't listen they are already fixed and it doesn't matter what they are told they have closed their minds.

I think that a better approach would be to tell people what they already have and make them grateful for that.a Tell them all the things they are going to lose if we leave. Tell All this bickering helps no one. There must be some people who are prepared to listen to common sense instead of all the Farage barrage.

Firecracker123 Fri 17-May-19 14:31:56

Nonnie no leave voter I know have changed their minds for remain all are more determined than ever that we need to leave now.

EllanVannin Fri 17-May-19 14:45:46

Where are all the logical reasons given by those who voted leave ? I've never seen a straight/ honest answer from anyone as to why they voted that way.

quizqueen Fri 17-May-19 15:29:45

What benefits are there to be a member state of the EU?

No borders- that's a danger, not a benefit. Every country should know who is coming into their country and why.
Your own elected representatives (whom you can get rid of every 5 years if they perform badly) not being able to make decisions which affect their own countries- that is wrong on all levels.
Having to pay increasingly high fees in order to trade 'freely'- that is a joke, isn't it!
Only being able to work and study in the EU if you are a member- I assume there are no Americans, S Africans or any other non EU nationalities living there at all.
...and one of the most ridiculous comments, I have read on here.... 'All airlines will have to have their HQs in the EU in order to fly /land. Excuse me while I just write to Quantas, El Al etc. and inform them of that rule.

There is no EU funding for anything, it is just money recycled from the EU member states who pay in the most, with some creamed off to pay the salaries and expenses of all involved.

What 'trading area' needs a flag, an anthem, an army, Parliaments in two different places and 5 unelected and unaccountable Commissioners/Presidents. Just cut out the middle man, I say.

Nonnie Fri 17-May-19 15:52:05

Fire is that because they haven't listened or because they won't admit they made a mistake? I know what your answer will be but I must tell you that I was sure TM was going to make a good PM and am now very happy to admit I was wrong which is why I have continued to ask Leavers to convince me I'm wrong now. I can't understand why, if they have good reasons, they won't tell me. GG has kindly given me her answer which seems to be based upon very personal reasons rather than the good of the country.

Ellan see above

Nonnie Fri 17-May-19 16:05:03

quiz I disagree, no borders means freer trade, although we didn't join the Shengen so we still have them. No change then for UK.

Have you not noticed we are electing our own representatives next week?

But we don't pay high fees to trade in the EU so that is not correct.

You are also wrong about not being able to study in the EU unless you are a member, the fees are different in accordance with the country in which you wish to study. EU nationals have to pay the same as UK nationals in England but nothing in Scotland. Pretty much the same as the EHIC, treated the same as the locals wherever you are.

I think you have misunderstood the airline issue. I have seen a suggestion that it would be better for UK airlines to be run from EU countries as they would then not be subject to the same tariffs but that is only if we leave, not if we stay. I have read nothing about other airlines so if I misunderstand please send me a link.

The funding is more complex, we all pay in according roughly to our GDP and it is then paid out according to need. One example is Poland, which has had quite a lot of help which has meant it has improved its economy and no longer needs so much help. When the next round happens they will pay in more. Because their economy has improved they are a bigger market for the rest of us. Wales has been a net winner and has received more than it has paid in.

The 'unelected' are appointed by those we vote in.

Yes, the EU is not perfect but it is better to be part of a large buying group than the equivalent of a corner shop v Tesco.

varian Fri 17-May-19 18:16:10

Good information on the benefits of our EU membership can never be gleaned from reading The Express, The Sun, The Daily Mail, Farage's utterings, the UKIP manifesto or any other poisonous propaganda. Try discovering the truth.

www.strongerin.co.uk/get_the_facts