Gransnet forums

News & politics

Horrified by Alabama Abortion law

(695 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Wed 15-May-19 15:14:50

I am horrified by the new ruling that makes abortion illegal in the state of Alabama with not even exceptions for rape or incest victims .

The only exception is if the mothers life is endangered . Am I right in thinking this new law puts women back 100 years with no ability to make decisions about their own bodies ?

What are your thoughts ?

paddyann Wed 15-May-19 16:46:55

this is a disgrace,while no one I know thinks abortion is a good thing we all realise it is sadly a necessity for many ...if these old white men dont want young women to have abortions will they step up an dpay for their food on the table and a roof over their heads ? Ruining a life isn't just the health of the mother during pregnancy its the lives of both mother and child AFTER its born and often the rest of a family .

Anniebach Wed 15-May-19 16:48:42

Does anyone know the average week in a pregnancy when a child is aborted ?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-May-19 16:50:03

I think less than 12 weeks

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-May-19 16:58:50

Yes just looked it up 79% were at less than 10 weeks.

After that date it is usually because of foetal abnormality.

Sar53 Wed 15-May-19 17:00:42

I believe that women should have a choice, but that abortions should only happen very early in pregnancy. I think that abortion as a method of birth control is very wrong.
I believe that some people in America want this to become the law countrywide. It is a very chilling thought.

janeainsworth Wed 15-May-19 17:08:02

I don’t think this new law is good at all, but there’s nothing to stop a woman from Alabama who wants or needs an abortion just driving into a neighbouring state which has more tolerant laws.
It’s not really like the Northern Ireland situation where you have to get on a boat or plane and be treated outside your own NHS area.

notanan2 Wed 15-May-19 17:09:20

Anyone who believes that late abortions, which usually involve actually giving birth, lactating, dealing with engorged breasts, tears and recovery as with post partum live births, is regularly CHOSEN as a persistant form of contraception, has swallowed the kool aid!

Anniebach Wed 15-May-19 17:11:30

Thank you Whitewave

So difficult isn’t it? I believe life begins at conception but I am not anti abortion, I am against abortion on demand and I do believe the majority of abortions are so.

If a child is concieved through rape or incest this will be determined very early and no one should be forced to carry the child,little hope of the child being loved,

My third pregnancy ended in a still birth, when I was pregnant the fourth time I was advised to abort, I refused , another still birth, I don’t regret my decision, I gave my child the right to life . There were no scans then but if there had been I would still have continued with the pregnancy.

I am not say I was right and others wrong, it is such a personal decision, such emotion.

I did know a couple , when I was a gal, they had one child,
they tried themselves to abort a second pregnancy , the wife died, the husband went to jail. The first child left without both parents .

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-May-19 17:15:48

My friend of 60 years (blimey) became a police officer. I remember one of her first “deaths” was to an abortion. It upset her dreadfully as there was a dead mum and aborted foetus. Masses of blood. It sounded awful

maryeliza54 Wed 15-May-19 17:21:27

Yes Sara what is happening in the States at the moment is that about a dozen states ( including Alabama) have passed or are passing draconian abortion laws. Alabama’s is the most extreme - they know it is unconstitutional and want it to be challenged ( as they know it will be) because when it gets to the Supreme Court Roe v Wade will be overturned as there is now a built in conservative majority of judges. This is beyond dreadful for American women - and especially the poorest. As someone said upthread, abortion can never be banned only safe abortions can be banned. As for the gestation limit, FFA is generally only diagnosed at 20 weeks at the earliest and some women ( and girls) may not know or deny their pregnancy until after 12 weeks,

But not only are American women at threat- the administration is taking funds away from organisations which help in poor countries overseas. Neither do they want to stop at abortion either in the USA or abroad - many of these anti choice politicians want to severely curtail the availability of contraception as well.

And don’t think we’re safe either - there are a number of evangelical Christian organisations who send people over here to lobby and protest outside of our abortion clinics. Make no mistake misogyny is closely allied with right wing politics and controlling women’s bodies is their sin because that puts us firmly back in our boxes.

maryeliza54 Wed 15-May-19 17:27:35

If you are against abortion on demand, you are against abortion. As for a pregnancy resulting from rape bring determined early - you know that how? The 12 year old raped by her father or family friend may not even realise she is pregnant nor anyone else for that matter for many weeks

I don’t actually care what any other woman does re her choices about a pregnancy, all I do know is that no one has the right to make a woman continue a pregnancy that she does not want.

Ilovecheese Wed 15-May-19 17:31:54

Absolutely agree with you maryliza. Women should be free to choose what happens to their own bodies. Just because one woman didn't choose to have an abortion does not give her the right to tell another woman she should not have one. This is about controlling women, and other women are colluding in this.

notanan2 Wed 15-May-19 17:31:57

If you are against abortion on demand, you are against abortion.

Yup

"Oh abortions for virtuous madonna victim women are okay, I'm just against abortions for the wrong sort of women....."

That mentality makes me want to swear.

Basically they want women who dare to have sex by choice punished along with their child (because being an unwanted child is so fun) for the rest of their lives...

notanan2 Wed 15-May-19 17:34:48

The US had also witheld support for rape victims in war zones overseas where that support includes family planning options. And pressurises international organisations to do the same!

sodapop Wed 15-May-19 17:36:18

Yes I agree maryeliza I was appalled too when the vote was heavily weighted by white men.
They are hoping other states will follow suit so if that were to happen it would be very difficult for a woman to access this treatment.
A retrograde step in my opinion.

SueDonim Wed 15-May-19 17:39:38

I agree with what Notanan2 says. Women have been obtaining abortions for millennia, all that will happen now is that it will be driven underground and women will die.

Perhaps those proposing this measure would also agree to demands that all men have vasectomies. After all, one might say that men are 100% responsible for all pregnancies, women don't become pregnant by themselves.

www.newsweek.com/abortion-law-evan-rachel-wood-1422190

GrannyGravy13 Wed 15-May-19 17:40:20

A woman should have control over her body, absolutely.

I would rather they are legally allowed to have a safe abortion than bring an unloved child into the world.

I respect other people’s view that life begins at conception, I hope they can also respect mine.

notanan2 Wed 15-May-19 17:41:26

"Just travelling to another state" aint so easy when you're bleeding and passing products of pregnancy.

How does an abused woman justify a trip out of state? How does a poor woman or young woman work it?. US states are VAST its not like nipping to the next county in the UK.

maryeliza54 Wed 15-May-19 17:42:36

Just keep reminding yourself that this is all about controlling women by controlling their bodies. And it is generally ( although I know not completely) white right wing men who want this ( with handmaiden support) . Trump has given all this the green light and then ask yourself which British politician is bff with Trump?

SueDonim Wed 15-May-19 17:43:24

Also consider who will be impacted most by these draconian laws. Will it be well-to-do middle class women with connections? Nope, it won't. They'll still be able to get what they want by paying their way.

It'll be the poor, the disadvantaged, those with no influence and who are already at the bottom of the heap who will bear the brunt of this. angry

maryeliza54 Wed 15-May-19 17:45:22

But it’s not even about travelling to another state ( as if that were easy) it’s about overturning Roe v Wade so that abortion will not be available anywhere. And then they’ll come for us ( which they are doing already anyway).

maryeliza54 Wed 15-May-19 17:47:43

If you look at the States which are most anti abortion you’ll find they have some of the highest infant mortality rates - that’s how much these hypocrites value the lives of babies - they won’t provide decent ante and post natal care for starters

notanan2 Wed 15-May-19 17:48:31

Yes well we have paved the way with how so many in the UK "forget" the women of NI when they think we are so progressive here..

notanan2 Wed 15-May-19 17:54:28

Its depressing that the tag line of "even if she is raped" has to be added before people care about the errosion of womens rights.

notanan2 Wed 15-May-19 17:55:46

True Sue. Rich anti abortion men seem to have no probs finding other rich anti abortion men to perform "descrete" abortions on their mistresses and daughters....