Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sir Andy Murray!

(65 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 16-May-19 18:29:02

I bet David Beckham is grinding his teeth!!

GWYNNIE999 Sun 19-May-19 19:24:32

Go Murrays Scottish and proud of it x

Grannyrebel27 Sun 19-May-19 18:12:04

Arise Sir Andy - so well deserved. Hope he can get back to full health soon.

lynneg Sat 18-May-19 18:06:03

I agree with others who have posted regarding the sour grapes and nastiness on here. I’ve been on this site a long time and I am now amazed and disgusted with some of the comments. Some of you people are just awful.

That’s me finished with GN. I no longer wish to be a part of this.

Telly Sat 18-May-19 15:22:58

I am amazed that he accepted it! Apparently he has said that he is not a tax exile?

seadragon Sat 18-May-19 12:47:48

I'm with Aneeba and Mahawthorne on the nasty comments and have shared my shock before. I shall persevere a wee while longer, though, as I am fascinated that the vitriol seems to occur only in response to certain topics so plan to see if there is some kind of common ground.... Was it xenophobia today, I wonder?

Anniebach Sat 18-May-19 11:37:42

Andy Murray has been world no 1 player

Anneeba Sat 18-May-19 11:22:07

Regardless of attitudes towards medals, gongs, titles etc, where does this rabid vitriol come from? Is it envy, sour grapes at one's own mundanity, a general 'let's chop the tall poppy down' attitude to life? Or simply a feeling that being anonymous online means it's ok to be vicious about others? It is quite vile to read and not what I expected from GN where, one hoped, a few extra years might have resulted in a kinder attitude to others and a little more wisdom. Of course many posters do seem lovely... but definitely disappointed by the hurtfulness of some posters. Personally, good luck to the Murrays. Great to have watched a Brit winning at Wimbledon amongst all the other places.

Mahawthorne Sat 18-May-19 10:52:54

I agree with Jennifer Eccles.

I became a grandmother for the first time in March. I didn't have any grandparents, all had passed before my siblings and I were born.

I was very pleased when I happened upon this site expecting advice, tips and support. I read a few threads that left me wondering about the too often sharp tones. I read a thread with unpleasant comment after comment about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. I commented how it made me feel and decided not to use the site.

Thought I'd give it another go today but the word 'sneering' sums up too much of what I read, even when someone is just asking advice. Not every comment of course but too many. Maybe that is the reality of social media. Speaking to and about people, usually people you don't know, in a way you would not ordinarily do so. For me it is not attractive, useful or constructive, and I don't think it is going to assist me in being the best grandmother I want to be. This comment is not intended to be be sneering at all, it's an observation from my perspective. I don't do social media as I find the tone too often sharp, and bordering on bullying at times and leaves me confused as to the necessity of that. I think I had assumed that it would be different with women of my age group.

Being the best grandmother I can be - I think I'll use my time differently and make it up as I go along.

Please don't feel the need to respond. I won't be back to read the comments.

I wish you all and your families the very best.

GabriellaG54 Sat 18-May-19 09:53:56

Prospect?

Anniebach Sat 18-May-19 09:17:11

Sean Connery accepted a knighthood

Telly Sat 18-May-19 09:15:22

I am amazed that he has accepted, his political views are well known.

grumppa Fri 17-May-19 23:50:08

I can understand criticism of our weird and antiquated honours system, but so much mean-spirited criticism of the individual recipients seems just plain nasty.

JohnD Fri 17-May-19 23:28:17

Let's get things in prospect. The majority of times Andy Murray won he did it on his own and so deserve recognition, but Beckham was only part of a team and without the others he would have been unheard of.

Candelle Fri 17-May-19 22:33:10

The only way to be as successful as Andy Murray is to have a modicum of talent and work extremely hard (costing your parents a fortune in equipment, coaches, tournament fees, hotel and travel expenses in the process), giving up practically all free time and holidays.

Sir Andrew Murray's success does not just happen. He has spent decades practising, being totally committed and focused. You can only imagine the dedication and time necessary to reach his level (I write with some knowledge as a member of my family is a junior player).

Give the man a break!

maryeliza54 Fri 17-May-19 20:46:01

LH lives in Monaco as a tax exile and last I read of him he was avoiding paying VAT on his latest private jet by buying it through the Isle of Man. FFS - he does not represent the UK despite wrapping himself in the flag. All he does anyway is drive a car fast ???

Aepgirl Fri 17-May-19 20:07:26

I don't understand why overpaid sportsmen get these gongs. There are plenty of ordinary, hard-working folk who never get recognised.

purplepatch Fri 17-May-19 18:55:07

Before we go on about just getting it for playing tennis, it's worth remembering he was also awarded it for his charity work.

Without listing everything it includes his ATP Arthur Ashe Humanitarian Award in recognition of his charity work, such as Rally Against Cancer and Bally against Cancer, his work for UNICEF, United for Wildlife and Malaria No More, a charity match he organised raising £305,000 for two children's charities and other things such as donating £50 for every ace he hit in a year for people caught up in the refugee crisis.

That is by no means an exhaustive list.

I think he deserves it. He is an exemplar of dedication to his sport, he works for young people in sport, he sticks up for women players (and women generally) and from what we read he is extremely popular in the locker room and, naturally, among women players. He broke the mold in appointing a female coach and faced down the criticism and derision. None of this of course means he merits a knighthood for that but he is an all round good guy.

gillybob Fri 17-May-19 18:38:37

However, don't start me on the so called sportspeople who play Premier football. Different kettle of fish altogether

Why lincolnimp ? because footy isn’t a “champagne” sport ? confused

Grannysmith Fri 17-May-19 18:19:12

What about a gong for Lewis Hamilton. Four times world champion & not a knighthood in sight. If Sir Bradley Wiggins, Sir Chris Hoy have been knighted what about this brilliant racing driver.

lincolnimp Fri 17-May-19 16:09:15

Judy Murray is a very pleasant person who has worked hard to give her son's a decent start in life, and to make the most of their natural abilities.
The fact that she has been thrown into the limelight purely because she has done this is incidental.
Neither did Andy seek fame (unlike many showbiz 'stars'), and he is passionate about his sport.
Why shouldn't he show disappointment when he knows he hasn't give of his best.
Believe it or not, to a true sportsperson, they do care when they lose---because they know they could have done better. They replay in their mind every shot they messed up, and when they win then euphoria takes over.
He has also physically suffered, as well as enduring years of hard slog, away from home and family, travelling many miles at home and abroad,around small tournaments, before he was even heard of.

However, don't start me on the so called sportspeople who play Premier football. Different kettle of fish altogether

GabriellaG54 Fri 17-May-19 15:34:25

My OH is addressed as 'Sir' when he shops or being served in restaurants or bars.
You don't need to have a sharp instrument laid on your shoulder to be addressed thus.

maryeliza54 Fri 17-May-19 15:07:53

He’s very very supportive of women in sport and has called out sexism in sport, describing himself as a feminist. I believe all honours and titles are ludicrous but given we have the system, then it’s good to see someone like this being honoured.

rascalsgran Fri 17-May-19 15:04:28

I can't believe the amount of nastiness and sour grapes posted about this young man. It seems so typical of this country's media which builds someone up simply to shoot them down again in a barrage of bad manners. Well done Sir Andy.

aggie Fri 17-May-19 12:36:36

Hitting a ball and giving good example to kids and getting them out to play and exercise does save lives

soop Fri 17-May-19 12:28:33

Well done, Sir Andy! grin