Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sir Andy Murray!

(64 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 16-May-19 18:29:02

I bet David Beckham is grinding his teeth!!

Anniebach Thu 16-May-19 18:32:22

So well deserved . Now a statue at Wimbledon please

paddyann Thu 16-May-19 18:33:23

I'm very disappointed that Andy accepted this although I did hear it was because his wife wanted him to.Anyone who thinks an EMPIRE award is OK in the 21st century is a deluded fool.The EMPIRE is long gone and maybe some need to accept that ...its not coming back with Brexit!!

Anniebach Thu 16-May-19 18:42:58

I doubt anyone given the knighthood gives a though to ‘Empire’

Cherrytree59 Thu 16-May-19 18:46:37

Paddy I'm sure Andy is more than capable of making his own mind up.

Just as Sir William (Billy) Connolly did.smile

Urmstongran Thu 16-May-19 18:47:05

I must admit I thought he’d have worn a kilt.

I thought Murray was a supporter of Sturgeon's SNP? I did wonder at him accepting honours from the English monarchy... but pressure from his Mrs would explain it paddyann.

Anniebach Thu 16-May-19 18:59:42

It isn’t an English monarchy

Nico97 Thu 16-May-19 19:00:17

And let's not forget the pressure his Mummy will have brought to bear. All the glory seeking has finally paid off for the pair of them.

Urmstongran Thu 16-May-19 19:19:01

Sorry Annie you’re quite right. Stupid of me.

I apologise.

Cherrytree59 Thu 16-May-19 19:35:11

Glory seeking??
Wow talk about sour grapes

Andy Murray and his family lived through the trauma of Dunblane.

Andy Won several prestigious Tennis tournaments including Wimbledon.
His brother has also done well as doubles player.

Imho he deserves his glory 🏆

Anniebach Thu 16-May-19 19:38:58

Pressure his mother brought to bear ? Supporting your child who is gifted is pressuring them ?

Urmstongran Thu 16-May-19 19:47:53

I think I’m just surprised he accepted the honour given his politics? I’m sure he deserved it.

David Bowie turned a knighthood down, as did Danny Boyle and John Cleese.

Apparently the record for refusing the most state honours was the artist L. S Lowry.

Grandma70s Thu 16-May-19 19:49:08

I noticed that when he was announced at Buckingham Palace they called him Sir Andrew Murray. Sounds so much better than Andy.

Labaik Thu 16-May-19 19:59:00

There was an article about the Murrays in the Times the other week. The concept we all had of Judy Murray as being a pushy mother [I hold up my hands and admit I thought so at the time] is quite unfounded. I'm afraid David Beckham has totally gone down in my estimation after being caught over motoring offences sad. I'm pleased for the Murrays.

Caledonai14 Fri 17-May-19 09:27:30

Don't forget two Olympic Gold Medals and a silver. smile

Gonegirl Fri 17-May-19 09:51:05

Is "glory seeking" what they're calling winning tennis matches now?

Floradora9 Fri 17-May-19 09:56:14

Well deserved and he is not like Beckam who is a tax dodger . I did not realise that when Andy's parents split he spent weekdays with his dad . That must have been hard on his mum . He then went off to America at a very young age. His parents sacrificed such a lot to support both sons

Anniebach Fri 17-May-19 10:01:42

Glory seeking ? All youngsters who take up sport are glory seekers ?

annodomini Fri 17-May-19 10:10:34

Andy did not go to America. His training was in Spain where he also studied at an international school.

maxdecatt Fri 17-May-19 10:12:22

When Murray wins he screams and crows with delight, when he loses he whines about his imaginary physical problems. Can you ever forget the twerp "flexing" his non-existent muscles... or the blubbing, snot streaming tantrum when he lost....to Federer at Wimbledon?

EllanVannin Fri 17-May-19 10:12:44

Beckham should get an award for his body art , yuk yuk.

Pleased about Andy Murray though I thought he'd already been knighted ---Wishful thinking probably.

Anniebach Fri 17-May-19 10:13:55

He was awarded the knighthood two years

Momof3 Fri 17-May-19 10:25:58

Apart from having been affected by Dunblane Judy Murray has also done a huge amount for grass roots tennis abs is hugely respected in her own right.

JenniferEccles Fri 17-May-19 10:38:58

Of course it's well deserved.

For goodness sake Andy was no. 1 in the world before his hip started giving him problems. This was a massive achievement especially for a Scottish lad growing up in an area with no provision for top league tennis.

His mother made enormous sacrifices when it became apparent that her two sons were so talented.

I really can't understand the nasty sneering comments from some on here.

For heaven's sake let's celebrate Andy and Jamie's achievements without any stupid 'empire' comments.

Grandmabeach Fri 17-May-19 10:41:56

I agree with Cherrytree59 about sour grapes and what do politics have to do with it? Why can we not be pleased that someone who survived the Dunblane massacre has gone on to achieve something that no other British man has achieved for 41 years and been rewarded for it. This has come as a result of sheer hardwork and sacrifice by both Andy and his family. He is also inspiring many younger children to take up tennis.