Gransnet forums

News & politics

Remainer opinion of leavers

(105 Posts)
maddyone Sun 19-May-19 10:42:00

Last Tuesday Matt Kelly, the editor of New European, tweeted in response to a photograph of an audience listening to Nigel Farage, and I quote,

'...an actual Nigel Farage audience. Marvel at the diversity, behold the spread of demographics. And bring a mop to clear up all the leaked piss afterwards.'

Have we reached a new low in insults to leavers, or is this simply the truth?

David0205 Sun 19-May-19 12:48:09

Whitewave. I think dislike or distrust of foreigners is pretty close to Brexit sentiment along with nationalism which has been made plain by some, calling remainers traitors. Nobody seems to be concerned about greater or lesser prosperity as long as were out of the EU

Nonnie Sun 19-May-19 12:50:48

But David we will have to replace one lot of foreigners with a different lot! Many of them will have brown faces and we all know there were people who voted to leave to keep out the brown faces. I actually know one!

maryeliza54 Sun 19-May-19 12:54:00

The point I was making Nonnieis that certain topics are more likely to attract misogynistic responses - I don’t find that with my non-trans tweets. I think the trans lobby are a particularly toxic bunch. Yuk

Nonnie Sun 19-May-19 12:55:51

So glad I don't go on those then!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-May-19 12:58:13

I agree Nationalism is probably the strongest concept that leavers would identify with. The spin offs from this concept are often dislike of foreigners, but by no means always. Leavers will also say that taking back control is essential, although I’m not clear that they understand exactly from what, as the U.K. has been probably the strongest and most influential voice in the trading union. A union that was largely constructed and enthusiastically promoted as a single market by a Tory prime minister - Thatcher. The U.K. economy has grown and benefited since the 80s.

David0205 Sun 19-May-19 13:02:30

It’s not about color, that’s not the Brexit issue it’s decisions being made by foreigners in Brussels not Britons in Westminster. It’s the “Take back control” idealogy pure and simple but now we find it’s far from simple

MaizieD Sun 19-May-19 13:04:18

POGS

If you're going to make assertions about things that have been posted on Gnet perhaps you should give us some examples. Unevidenced assertions are part of the reason the UK is in this toxic mess.

maddyone Sun 19-May-19 13:15:20

Yes, Nonnie, I think it probably happens to women in the public eye more than private individuals.

Maryeliza, don't you have 'followers' on Twitter? If that's the case, I would block them, or unfollow them, or whatever you do on Twitter to get rid of them, that is if they were personally threatening or being offensive in a vile way towards me.

Jabberwok Sun 19-May-19 13:36:10

I don't belong to Twitter and from what I understand, I can't think why anyone would want to! Same goes for Facebook! Why on earth lay yourself wide open for vile comments? Gransnet is bad enough without going further afield for vitriol and prejudice.

maryeliza54 Sun 19-May-19 13:47:26

People who aren’t following you can send you a tweet.

Luckygirl Sun 19-May-19 13:51:18

As I have said before; not all people who voted to leave are mindless racists. If you are a worker in our ex-fishing industry then a leave vote is wholly understandable. What is lacking in this "debate" nationally is respect for the views of others, rational argument, and objective information disseminated to all voters.

It has been a fiasco from start to finish - what finish I hear you ask.

maddyone Sun 19-May-19 17:05:43

I understand Maryeliza, on Facebook you need to request friendship, and I keep my security settings pretty tight. From what you say anyone can send you a tweet, which could possibly open up a whole of Pandora’s box tricks, and make rudeness acceptable. It would appear to clear the way for people to be unpleasant and insulting with no consequences, so maybe it brings out the worst in some people.

And so we come full circle to Matt Kelly’s unpleasant and ageist tweet.

Jabberwok Sun 19-May-19 17:11:50

People on here have over the months given their reasons for voting leave again and again, but have always been shouted down and their feelings treated with ridicule to the point that they now no longer bother. The additional use of inappropriate language doesn't help serious conversation, so by and large, remainers have ended up preaching to the converted!

Mycatisahacker Sun 19-May-19 17:51:47

I think it’s always very silly to keep yourself in an echo chamber.

See I can see benefits of leaving and of staying. I have friends and adult kids who have voted remain and leave.

I don’t see it as the main issue in Britain it’s only been made so by the incompetent nonsense of Westminster.

Business will adapt to a no deal that’s what business do! They change and adapt. It’s this paralysis that’s dreadful.

I see knife crime/NHS/education housing for more important

Mycatisahacker Sun 19-May-19 17:53:38

Maryeliza

I don’t do Twitter my kids do and I agree with you the radical trans lobby are particular mysogynistic and unpleasant.

Jabberwok Sun 19-May-19 17:56:38

You've said it Mycatsahacker (love your name!) also climate change! A lot more important and alarming than Brexit!

Jabberwok Sun 19-May-19 17:58:23

Sorry, I've misspelt your name, leaving out the i. It's a good name though!!

MaizieD Sun 19-May-19 18:01:34

but have always been shouted down and their feelings treated with ridicule

The additional use of inappropriate language doesn't help serious conversation,

It's a question of perception though, isn't it, Jabberwock? Leavers see things completely differently from Remainers. Leavers give their reasons for their vote, Remainers give a counter argument or point out that something is not true and get accused of 'shouting down'.

As for 'inappropriate language;, despite what POGS asserts, but declines to give evidence of, I haven't noticed the use of the sort of 'robust' language that characterises, say, a mumsnet discussion.

Or is serious conversation meant to be agreement over everything?

As I said, our perspectives are completely different.

Mycatisahacker Sun 19-May-19 18:33:29

jabberwok

grin no worries it could be ‘mycatsapsycho* to be fair! She just launched herself on our very timid Yorkie!

She really is vile but there you go grin

Mycatisahacker Sun 19-May-19 18:37:07

Maizie

You are right it’s a question of perception!

You see leavers as shouting down remainers because that’s your perception as a remainer.

Of course the reality is both sides shout down ridicule patronise bully and dislike each other in equal measure.

As I say echo chambers

lemongrove Sun 19-May-19 19:12:22

Mycat ??????

The quote given in the OP was disgusting, crass and fearful ! People always ridicule things that they fear.

crystaltipps Sun 19-May-19 19:21:26

Of course people fear nationalism, populism, fascism.

lemongrove Sun 19-May-19 19:27:51

Do you agree with what he said I wonder Crystal as you made a very ageist post the other day.
It’s bad enough that creeps like him write this sort of stuff, without any older women ( who happen to have also voted remain) agreeing with it just because it’s a barb aimed at leavers.Think about it.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-May-19 19:57:08

crystal yes it would be foolish not to worry about that.

Protest by all means, but always use your vote intelligently. Never let in the evil that is fascism.

Dinahmo Sun 19-May-19 20:16:57

I've just watched part of James O'Brien's broadcast from 14 May which has been uploaded onto You tube today. He's talking about WTO trade agreements and the number of existing agreements that we have, not only with the EU but with many other countries separate from the EU but through the EU. There are comments from several business men and politicians about the adverse effects and one or two about the positive aspects (Wetherspoon being an example) It is extremely depressing because the facts and figures are out there, freely available, but the Leavers just believe in NF and his cohorts who spout nothing but rhetoric.

I don't think that the UK will be healed in my lifetime. So, to the person who complained about Remainers ending their posts with "I am in despair" ~I have to say that I truly am.