Gransnet forums

News & politics

Remainer opinion of leavers

(105 Posts)
maddyone Sun 19-May-19 10:42:00

Last Tuesday Matt Kelly, the editor of New European, tweeted in response to a photograph of an audience listening to Nigel Farage, and I quote,

'...an actual Nigel Farage audience. Marvel at the diversity, behold the spread of demographics. And bring a mop to clear up all the leaked piss afterwards.'

Have we reached a new low in insults to leavers, or is this simply the truth?

abbey Sun 02-Jun-19 17:41:24

This need for echo-chamber re-inforcement of the leavers' shaky position suggests a lack of coherent, logical reasons to keep believing in unicorns.

Actually its not a need for echo chambers, it was just to get away from the insults - like your unicorn comment there.

I read enough to know what is being said elsewhere. I just like to keep my blood pressure in check so I avoid remainers now. In fact I avoid the whole topic generally.

I know what I think. You can censor my spoken or written words but you cannot censor my thoughts. The more you shut down my speech, the more I will think.

Think on that and ask yourself if actually your approach might be wrong? I listen to remainers quite a lot. I say nothing. But I still have my own thoughts.

abbey Sun 02-Jun-19 17:54:13

Varian, I will offer you a couple of places. Comments are not always allowed. Mostly they are sites which provide articles and other reading . Much of it is Brexit/Leave related ….. although be aware that the sites also deal a lot more with another rather hot issue ( I have an interest in the other issue as I am an academic whose main area is associated with that area).

Both sites are essentially manned by Christian believers ( I am sorry if that offends). Something not often reported is that it is now considered that the leave vote was essentially swung not by the 16% of youngsters with children ( as per another article cited here) but by Christian laity ( mainly Anglican) aged between 40 and 54.
This demograph particularly are voters ( not talkers), democrats and believe in some clear principles - you may not share their principles but respect them.

So, the sites - Anglican Mainstream and Archbishop Cranmer.

If you like pod casts and similar you might also try Anglican Unscripted. Brexit sometimes comes up as a side issue there.

People are generally respectful in these places and do aim to hold a discussion. Please, if you are just spoiling for a fight, don't go there.

varian Sun 02-Jun-19 19:14:23

Any connexion between religion and politics can be dangerous and should be questioned. Ask anyone in Northern Ireland.

abbey Sun 02-Jun-19 19:33:31

Any connexion between religion and politics can be dangerous and should be questioned. Ask anyone in Northern Ireland.

Bigotry not, obviously.