Gransnet forums

News & politics

Builders and Destroyers

(50 Posts)
varian Mon 20-May-19 18:16:27

Market Deeping Model Railway Club lost years of work in the raid in Stamford, Lincolnshire, on Saturday. Four youths were arrested on suspicion of burglary and criminal damage and have been released on police bail.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-48332649

On Radio 4 one member of this club said that 25 years worth of painstaking building of the model railway had been destroyed. How dreadful that vandals can do this.

It is so much easier to destroy than it is to build.

For more than forty years we, in the UK, have contributed to the building of the European Union, the greatest force for peace and unity and the world's biggest trading block. Now thoughtless ill-informed people are trying to destroy that.

The sad destruction of this model railway seems to me to be a metaphor for the even greater destruction we are threatened with by the brexit vandals.

maryeliza54 Mon 20-May-19 18:26:34

When I read this story this morning, it just made me feel very very sad.

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 18:27:56

The model railway story is heartbreaking isn’t it.

Mind you can’t quite agree about the EU bringing peace for 40 years.

Have you forgotten Bosnia? Mass murder and rape at the heart of Europe?

The attacking of citizens in Catalonia, mass sexual assaults in Germany and the use of water cannon in France on protesters.

Staggering eye watering youth unemployment in Spain and Greece and Greece nigh on bancrupt.

The EU never having their accounts signed off.

Camps for refugees that would disgrace animals

The rise of the really far right in Hungary.

Maybe a more critical look needed don’t you think? Drop the emotion and your tinted specs and see the facts

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 18:30:05

Can I add I don’t really care if we stay or go both has advantages and disadvantages but this high emotion and drama needs to stop. It’s doing nobody any good and fuelling fires best quenched.

TerriBull Mon 20-May-19 18:39:27

Following on from my cat.....Not to mention umpteen young Eastern European women being trafficked here to work in pop up brothels hmm and young men working in car wash establishments who may be slaves....and of course all those people packed like sardines, 30 in some cases, into bog standard semis sad

But yes very sad about the wanton destruction inflicted on the Model Railway Club.

Any situation could be adapted as a metaphor for all sorts of scenarios if that happens to be your raison d'etre

varian Mon 20-May-19 18:39:32

If you really don't care don't bother to vote.

MaizieD Mon 20-May-19 18:43:53

but this high emotion and drama needs to stop.

Well, it isn't going to stop just because Mycatisahacker says it must.

Perhaps you're in a secure position but there are people whose lives and livelihoods have been turned upside down by this mess. Who never asked to be put in this position. I doubt very much if they'd agree with you.

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 18:47:38

Oh I always vote! I don’t have strong views leave or go and the strong emotions baffles me but I always vote.

Terribull

Yes. Free movement has been marvellous for the middle classes not so for working classes. A race to the bottom.

Corny used to often say this about the EU and globalisation in general until he became leader

Gonegirl Mon 20-May-19 19:02:42

Well, it's not a metaphor for anything for me, except the state of the bloody kids we seem to be raising in this country at the moment!

Blasted sods! I hate the buggers. angry

Gonegirl Mon 20-May-19 19:03:57

And if anyone wants to accuse me of being "angry", in this case I AM!

Grandad1943 Mon 20-May-19 19:15:37

If anyone wishes to witness the sheer stupidity of Britain leaving the European Union, then they only have to look at the situation between Huawei and Google which has been brought about by Donald Trump protectionism of Apple.

Apple are seeing the sales of its iPhone, Ipad and Mac system laptops fall drastically due partly to pressure the Trump administration has placed on the company. Therefore, Donald Trump sees the solution to that in his warped mind as crippling Apples major competitor, Huawei.

In that, Trump has effectively banned Google from trading with Huawei, which will mean that the worlds most popular mobile operating system known as Andriod will now not be made available to Huawei phones and Tablets.

However, the above should make everyone think on Britain leaving the European Union and signing a trade deal with the United States. In that, it could well be that the Trump administration will soon be threatening UK companies with not being allowed to sell their products in the US if they trade with any other company or country Trump does not like.

Of course, Trump hides this blatant protectionism under the label of "National Security", which means no one can ask any revalent questions.

Remaining as part of the worlds largest trading block would mean that Trump would find it much more difficult to intimidate the governments of all twenty-eight countries, and any company threatened by the Trump administration would have all those EU countries it could still securely trade in.

However, on our own as a single nation, or isolated as a single company, all should think on that.

Jabberwok Mon 20-May-19 19:16:30

I don't quite see how you can blame this sickening vandalism on Brexit? Vandals have existed since time began, not in the last three years!!!!!

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 19:18:29

MaizyD

Of course I can’t stop the emotion mores the pity as I think it’s frightening

I too have friends who have been impacted by free movement. Plumbers builders who cannot compete with the undercutting from EU workers. Still as long as business can pay them bottom dollar and the upper and middle classes can get cheap nannies and cleaners and pool boys great. hmm

Gonegirl

It’s sickening isn’t it. But your grandson is obviously a great kid and so is mine and all my kids mates are too. It’s a tiny minority as ever.

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 19:20:43

Ah but jabberwock

Common sense has completely gone out the window hasn’t it.,

Drama larmas and throwing milk shakes are now considered ok.

Gonegirl Mon 20-May-19 19:23:16

Is it though mycat? I really hope you're right, but I do wonder. sad

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 19:26:27

It really is flowers

Kapitan Mon 20-May-19 19:42:31

How ridiculous to compare the sickening act of vandalism in Market Deeping and the vote to leave the EU. Probably the sort of person who has a good snigger from seeing someone throw a milkshake on Nigel Farage? I am looking forward to voting for The Brexit Party on Thursday!

Anniebach Mon 20-May-19 19:47:43

A vandalised model railway and Brexit !

M0nica Mon 20-May-19 19:52:34

I think those stupid kids should have to appear at a news conference to explain why they did what they did and about the pleasure they got from it and their opinions on the feelings of those devastated and what they are going to do in reparation.

Gonegirl Mon 20-May-19 19:54:26

Good idea Monica.

varian Mon 20-May-19 19:59:38

Sadly some people, perhaps because of their own innate feelings of inadequacy, want to destroy what others have built.

They vent their rage in this way because they think they've been hard done-by and are impotent to do anything positive and constructive.

It's not fair! Vote brexit! No deal! Bring it on! (we don't know anything but we don't care). Go Nigel!. If we don't get our way you'll be sorry.

EllanVannin Mon 20-May-19 20:01:22

I agree very much with you Gonegirl. They're a bunch of ferals created by a government who put a stop to discipline in schools and in the home. Kids were told to report their parents if the kids had been given a thick ear------then the SS would be knocking to whisk away the children while the parents end up in court for disciplining their brats. Parents are scared of scolding their children in case it's seen as abuse !
Talking " daft/soft " to them is no good, it's not working as kids don't do as they're told. I guess lots of parents have given up caring and are only too glad to see the back of them even if it's out vandalising people's property !

Even the police aren't allowed to " hurt " criminals as they too have had their powers removed and are swiftly reported if they cross the line. They must be fed up too, especially with the " little darlings " whose delight it is to cause mayhem and destruction.

And Jabberwok, yes, vandalism has always been here but the police used to use their powers with the dross of society and get them by the scruff of the neck when caught, not the tap on the hand meted out today and told to be a good boy don't do it again. Police are badly let down by the justice system so it's little wonder that crimes such as this are not dealt with as they should be.

Law and order is non-existent.

Gonegirl Mon 20-May-19 20:04:43

Oh for goodness sake! I just know that if my DH, with his model aeroplanes, is anything to go by, these old boys will be much more devastated by the loss of the work they have put into their hobby, than anything bloomin' Brexit can through at them.

Gonegirl Mon 20-May-19 20:05:06

That was to varian

Sussexborn Mon 20-May-19 20:09:26

We are normally tucked up at home in the evenings but came back from seeing Michael Ball between 10 - 11 pm last Tuesday night and we passed quite a few groups of youngsters roaming the streets. There are quite a few youth clubs and sports clubs in this area but not all young people want organised groups and presumably don’t have curfews or restrictions. Probably old fashioned but children need boundaries and are a bit lost without them.