Gransnet forums

News & politics

Disgusting

(33 Posts)
Elvive Wed 22-May-19 09:16:28

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/22/un-report-compares-tory-welfare-reforms-to-creation-of-workhouses

Riverwalk Wed 22-May-19 09:36:04

Yes, it's disgusting that so many people live in poverty in this day and age.

David0205 Wed 22-May-19 10:07:35

It curious that a New York based contributor comments on British poverty, the situation in the US is far worse. The benefit system does need changing there are far too many who don’t get fair treatment.

Griselda Wed 22-May-19 10:33:01

Alston is an Australian working for the UN.
I am ashamed at the numbers living poverty in this country. I think mothers of young children in particular are penalised and the government agencies do not do enough to make absent fathers pay. in Victorian workhouses they at least had three meals a day and clean clothes.

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 10:38:54

Government agencies rely on the mother being able (and willing) to identify who the father is.

Griselda Wed 22-May-19 10:42:43

Yes they do Gabriella, but many single parent families (usually mothers) have either been married or in a long term relationship. Far too many fathers don't share financial responsibility.

Gonegirl Wed 22-May-19 10:46:51

There are just too many people packed into one very small country. What's to be done? There are no money trees.

EllanVannin Wed 22-May-19 10:52:27

Which is why it's vital that we remain in the EU Gonegirl so that they're on-hand to prop-up this ailing country !!

Gonegirl Wed 22-May-19 10:57:31

I'm now beginning to think that we should curb numbers of people we let into the country. (That's not being racist - it's purely a realistic financial thing). I guess for that we need to come out. (And I voted remain)

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 11:04:56

The courts have the power to make an order for an AEO (attachment of earnings order) therefore a father who is unwilling to support his children has no choice but to have the amount ordered by the court, deducted at source from his wages/salary and paid to the mother.
Naturally, they can be traced by their NI number if they hiked it.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-May-19 11:09:09

What on Earth has the natural movement of people for either economic, labour, security etc got to do with the ideology of the Tory party?

This policy has been quite deliberate, it has nothing to do with oh so catchy easy to understand (nothing to do with reality) phrase the money tree.

It is to use another catchy phrase bollocks and Nothing to do with economic reality.

What you see is the Tory Party as its brutish nastiness, who has overseen the greatest increase in isolation, job insecurity, poverty, ill health and welfare cuts since the Second World War

If this government gets re-elected we will have truly reached rock bottom in compassion and the type of values we have held so dear for so long.

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 11:12:56

Germany and Greece (amongst others) are on their uppers EllanVallin.
They need us far far more than we need them.

Griselda Wed 22-May-19 11:14:37

Gabriella if you believe that then you have no idea how many men suddenly become self-employed when orders are made. There are many reasons for poverty this is only one of them.
Are you comfortable with the level of poverty in this country ?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-May-19 11:15:09

gg54 ?.

Next question - evidence.

Best of luck

EllanVannin Wed 22-May-19 11:32:20

Neither races look too bad on it,Gabriella54 !

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 11:32:40

Well, I can vouch that that doesn't always apply.
I lived in an area where the MP was a Tory and had been re-elected year on year for in excess of 25 years.
There was no want in our household, no depravation on our doorstep, no illnesses other than childhood measles and no shortage of jobs or decent schooling.
None of my past or present friends from across all social strata, are diminished through poverty or fewer life opportunities.
From a divorced teaching assistant who started with nothing to owning an ex council property which she furnished beautifully and continued her education online, to an Indian care worker and his Hungarian wife, two people who struggled but found a living-in job where the salary enabled them to buy a flat in Brighton. They looked for and found work, travelling many miles over the years in order to buy a place to call home. This was during the Thatcher years and it set those people up for life.

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 11:34:38

Their governments are struggling if reports in the press are to be believed.

Dinahmo Wed 22-May-19 11:37:00

Gonegirl - we have an ageing population and we need immigrants to look after us. The majority of them work and pay taxes which go towards funding our state pensions.

GG54 - we need each other. With global corporations and the internet etc the world is shrinking. We should stand together since there is strength in numbers.

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 11:40:58

Griselda
No. I have no idea.

Does my comfort or discomfort have any impact on job losses or poverty?

If I were to say that no I am not comfortable with the level of poverty in the UK, would that have any benefit to anyone? Would it create jobs, put food in mouths, clothe the unclothed?
What ridiculous questions.

EllanVannin Wed 22-May-19 11:46:41

The UK is no longer a self-sufficient country and never will be with nigh-on 70 million people on this tiny island. You think things are bad now--------wait and see what happens if/when we leave the EU.

Whoever thought that allowing another 10/15 million since the mid 80's into the country to" boost the economy " should be well and truly locked up in an asylum.

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 11:52:26

EllanVannin
I completely agree with your comment@ 11.46.

Gonegirl Wed 22-May-19 12:14:20

Dinahmo yes, that is true.

crystaltipps Wed 22-May-19 12:41:24

If Germany is on its “ uppers” goodness knows what that makes the UK. Down the tubes.

winterwhite Wed 22-May-19 12:43:00

'well and truly locked up in an asylum'! @11.46 What a thing to say. I hope it will be withdrawn.

susanstroud Wed 22-May-19 13:28:04

I volunteer in several groups to help poor. I found that most women have children with no child support. The men do not work and pay taxes. They work under the table. One man I know all too well has 6 illegitimate children and pays no child support. He has no property and is a handyman. He wants no job for then he has to pay child support. Why these women go to bed with them I don't know. They are pitiful.