Gransnet forums

News & politics

The answer is clear

(94 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-May-19 06:11:37

35% Brexit

40% remain parties

However Farage spins it he DID NOT win the vote and people have indicated that a no deal is not what the country desires. They have no wish to see the U.K. to be ruined by this ideology being spouted by the hard right.

We are a people of moderation.

Nonnie Mon 27-May-19 12:50:20

Urmston you are hardly one to talk about boring!

You simply cannot cope with being called out and having to admit you don't have an answer. Of course I would stop repeating the same question if I got an answer but I am not a quitter! The 'deafening silence' is very revealing no reply because no reason sad

At least I am not two-faced. The one who PM'd me, they know who they are.

Incidentally I have had some lovely PMs of support

Mycatisahacker Mon 27-May-19 12:51:25

Yawn

Nonnie Mon 27-May-19 12:53:32

Feel better now? hmm hmm

Mycatisahacker Mon 27-May-19 13:06:31

I really don’t understand you.

I am more than happy to state I PMd you! I apologised to you as I thought I had joked too far with you but you appear to feel that anyone who disagrees with you is personally getting at you.

Its a debate. We disagree.

MaizieD Mon 27-May-19 19:14:13

I can offer you the Lord Ashcroft poll of 10,000 voters (that's a good sized sample)

lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/05/my-euro-election-post-vote-poll-most-tory-switchers-say-they-will-stay-with-their-new-party/#more-15953

Using the data from his poll it looks as though 46% of voters were Leavers and 53% were Remain. You can work the figures out for yourself if you follow the link.

It's my own opinion that the 50%+ electors who didn't bother to vote have won the day. Over 50% of the electorate seem to be completely uninterested in whether we go or stay. Make whatever you like of that.

Urmstongran Mon 27-May-19 19:58:55

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Mycatisahacker Mon 27-May-19 20:35:39

urmonstgran

grin

GabriellaG54 Mon 27-May-19 21:04:16

I second that
gringringrin

GracesGranMK3 Mon 27-May-19 21:08:34

Every statistics tells a little more. It does seem, as polls have been telling us, that Wales is now majority leave. That's three out of the four countries.

Nearly six million voters backed no deal parties but over nine million backed parties explicitly opposed to no deal and that was with just 37% who felt it worth bothering to vote. It is not as straight forward as some make it and, as far as I can see, the BBC is just trying to show that complexity. Of course, if you only want simple, you may not be happy with that.

varian Mon 27-May-19 23:31:10

At least 50 % more voters backed parties opposed to no deal. There is no way that a no deal brexit should ever be permitted to happen. The moderate Tory MPs must be prepared to act, even if it means voting against their own party.

sharon103 Tue 28-May-19 00:48:17

I didn't get to vote. Not because I wasn't interested, my elderly brother got taken into hospital by ambulance early in the evening and so I didn't get to the polling station at night as intended because of all that was going on. Now, my vote would have gone to Nigel Farage Brexit party. So what I'm saying is, how can anyone make assumptions on the EU election results. Maybe some people couldn't be bothered and some couldn't vote for some reason and how can we guess who they would have voted for had they cast their vote.
I've always liked Nigel Farage ever since I saw him on Question Time well before this Brexit lark. To me, he is a straight talker, tells it like it is. I have always noticed that when he's been on the panel on that programme that he always gets picked on, and I mean always. He will get my vote if there should be a General Election. Respect my opinion please as I respect yours.

varian Tue 28-May-19 07:15:16

Brexit is not a lark - far from it. It is about destroying our relationship with the other 27 countries of the EU who work together for the good of all.

Although the word brexit has only been around in the last three years, the idea of Britain exiting the EU has been there from the start and it has been plugged relentlessly by the Daily Express, the Daily Mail, the Sun,, the Telegraph, Nigel Farage and the BBC, who invited him to appear on Question Time 29 times in the years before the referendum. Only one other MEP ( Tory Daniel Hannan) was ever included in ALL these years. Was that not very strange?

Urmstongran Tue 28-May-19 07:54:49

Perhaps it’s time for QT to change its format?

For example, it may be worth considering restructuring the programme into a 40 minute “long interview” followed by 20 minutes of audience questions.

Such questions could be based on the answers given. This would provide a deeper form of questioning while providing a useful insight into a single politician’s arguments.

It would also require an informed audience that listens to the answers as well as the questions being put forward, rather than simply waiting for a ‘gotcha’ moment. It would also reduce the issue of panel members speaking over each other!

GillT57 Tue 28-May-19 09:19:30

Sharon103. Just on small point; Farage needs to get elected as an MP before he can stand in a GE. So far, he has failed seven times.

Dinahmo Tue 28-May-19 13:33:00

GillT57 - I think he'll have a hard time finding any constituency where he could win a GE.

maryeliza54 Tue 28-May-19 14:44:59

Dream on Urm dream on.

maryeliza54 Tue 28-May-19 14:45:42

Peterborough will be interesting perhaps

GillT57 Wed 29-May-19 13:16:50

dinahmo interestingly enough he failed in Thanet, a very strong pro Brexit constituency when he was supremo of UKIP.