Gransnet forums

News & politics

Election Complaint Update

(72 Posts)
Nonnie Tue 04-Jun-19 09:59:30

Some of you will remember that I posted about the person working in the polling station trying to influence my vote. I have this morning had a phone call from the Electoral Office who are taking it very seriously. Unfortunately some on here didn't.

GracesGranMK3 Fri 07-Jun-19 10:43:09

(Thu 06-Jun-19 21:32:33) What a HUGE kerfuffle about something or nothing.
Good grief. It's amazing what disturbs some people. Sensitive...or what.

From what I have read of your posts GabriellaG54 you do not seem to believe in the rule of law, which seems strange from what you have told us about your "career".

It seems you only believe in the rule of the outcome, no matter how it is achieved. How is that going to work for your children and your children's children when the country is run by people who do not believe in the hoarding of wealth (seemingly your only aim in life) but have been given, by people of your thinking, the right to ignore and despise those who seek legitimate democracy, fair representation and the rule of law.

Nonnie is in no way being "sensitive". What a contemptible thing to say. It is up to us to support her rights whether or not we agree with her opinion.

Caledonai14 Fri 07-Jun-19 10:43:23

Nonnie even if this was just a one-off slip by the official, the poll organisers need to be alerted so they can include stronger advice in their future briefings for those on duty.

It might boil down to a small briefing-stage accent/hearing/comprehension/cultural problem or be as simple as an off-guarded remark which was instantly regretted, but couldn't be unsaid.

Doing nothing was never an option and you have done us all a favour by making us alert to the dangers and glad of the supportive attitude voiced for your actions, which we would all want to be accorded if we shared something similar.

GracesGranMK3 Fri 07-Jun-19 10:45:54

Caledonial ??

Nonnie Fri 07-Jun-19 10:56:23

Thanks Caledonai14. I am trying to convince myself he was just a grumpy old man with a chip on his shoulder who looked at me, realised I was almost as old as him and assumed I would agree with him. I know it was not his first time in this job and have been assured that they are all briefed and that this was unacceptable. I hope my complaint will ensure he has a very strong warning.

GG3 I agree with all you said, you put it better than I could.

Beckett Fri 07-Jun-19 11:15:49

Whether Nonnie misheard or misunderstood the fact remains that a comment was made. When I have voted the person handing out the voting slips has merely pointed me in the direction of the booths (pretty obvious) and any comment has been about the weather or some other innocuous thing. Any comment regarding the various candidates would be totally out of order.

Nonnie Fri 07-Jun-19 11:51:45

Yes Beckett and I can confirm that DH heard it as well so there was no misunderstanding. Fortunately the council has taken it very seriously. In all the many years I have been voting they have never done anything like this which is why we were so shocked.

B9exchange Fri 07-Jun-19 11:56:48

Since I think the other thread has been removed, I cannot get any impression of what actually happened?

Nonnie Fri 07-Jun-19 12:34:27

B9 we went to vote and the first person took our details and passed us on to the man whose job was to give us the voting paper. He tried to influence who we would vote for and I told him, quite sharply, that I didn't want to hear that. We were both very shocked. A council employee was there to talk to the clerks and we complained to her. She took it seriously and asked if we wanted to make a formal complaint. I said no but changed my mind when I got home and did make the formal complaint which is now being investigated.

Opal Fri 07-Jun-19 13:04:17

GG54 - why is this a "huge kerfuffle about nothing", when you've started another thread complaining about the WW2 veteran's comments to Mrs Trump. If that's not a "huge kerfuffle about nothing", I don't know what is. Double standards.

Witzend Sat 08-Jun-19 20:43:15

I didn't see the OP but have never known such a thing in all my many years of voting in general, local and MEP elections.
I'd certainly have complained, too.

Gabriella, how would you like it if there were no such ban, and it became acceptable for officials to try to influence your vote?
You may be entirely decided when you enter the polling station, but I bet there are quite a few who are still dithering.

Calendargirl Sat 08-Jun-19 22:43:17

If he was the one who handed out the voting paper, I think he would be the Presiding Officer, not the Poll Clerk who usually checks name and address and ticks you off, and as such , he would be in charge and should certainly have known better.
It is a serious mis-judgement and certainly should be reported and looked into.

GabriellaG54 Mon 10-Jun-19 12:01:44

Witzend
? as if I could ever be persuaded by anyone else to take any particular course of action, much less a vote.
If you're still dithering seconds before casting your vote then it's not a meaningful vote...IMV, naturally.
Nonnie can't even recall what exactly was said and neither can her OH/DH so it can't have made any impression.
'Tried to influence...' lol.

Nonnie Mon 10-Jun-19 12:11:19

Can any one remember the exact words in such a conversation? I very much doubt it unless you are Mary Poppins (practically perfect). Of course we all know there is one who thinks she is! No, we were shocked and we remember some of the words but not every last one. That of course could be because we are completely dim and not perfect but, as most of you seem to understand, we are just a normal couple who were in shock at what happened.

I often think that when a person needs to be objectionable on these threads they are either very frustrated with their own lives or very bitter. Or it could be that they have a complex and feel the need to keep telling us how much better they are than us. Thankfully most of us are nice and normal.

GillT57 Mon 10-Jun-19 12:13:44

Deliberately missing the point there GG54. Nonnie did not suggest that the action influenced her voting decision, her complaint was that it 'could have' influenced a decision, and it was unprofessional and contrary to all electoral procedures. Why do you have a problem with Nonnie making an official complaint?

GabriellaG54 Mon 10-Jun-19 21:58:24

Nonnie mentioned a 'conversation' with the man who gave her the voting paper. I doubt anyone stands there long enough to have a conversation.
To decline to make a complaint then, after mulling it over at home, deciding it was so atrocious and shocking (even though neither party can remember the wording) that a formal complaint must be lodged, is, IMV, daft.
Nonnie did what she considered to be 'right and proper' but that doesn't stop me having my views.
Could have, might have, should have are not factual happenings.
Anyone who is influenced by a couple of words seconds before putting their cross, doesn't deserve a vote.
Funny that no-one else at the table heard...unless it was a careless whisper.
I'm neither frustrated, have a complex nor bitter (about what?)
They are my views and this forum allows for opposing views.
It does not follow that an opposing view means that the writer is any of the above and to suggest that is so, must mean that all posters are guilty of being frustrated/bitter etc in some posts here and elsewhere.
Finis.

MaizieD Mon 10-Jun-19 23:18:50

Nonnie

Did you post about this incident on more than one thread?

I've tried to find your original posts about it and I can only find three on the 'Unofficial EU Referendum' thread. In none of which did you describe the incident in detail, nor did you say that you'd forgotten exactly what the official said. Nor did you say when you'd complained.

Is GG54 making all of this up?

Firecracker123 Tue 11-Jun-19 06:43:01

Much to do about nothing in my opinion, if he had tried to persuade voters to vote for the Lib Dems he would probably be praised on here.

Callistemon Tue 11-Jun-19 09:56:41

It's strictly against the rules, Firecracker

Officers are not allowed to influence the vote in any way.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 11-Jun-19 10:00:45

I have yet to see a time where the far-right members back the rule of law on here. It is very, very worrying.

Firecracker123 Tue 11-Jun-19 10:29:29

Far right ? how ridiculous you are.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 11-Jun-19 10:51:06

So, we are a democracy. What do you consider to be furthest to the right of the politics voiced on here Firecracker123? I put it at those in or supporting the Tory group of MPs who offer neo-liberal economics and a leaving the EU without a deal if that is the only way they can foist it on the country. So how would you, who so far have only offered a post personally insulting me, while not commenting on my views, define the far-right in our politics?

Oh, and if you get back in the gutter again with the personal insults I will report you. I always do.

Firecracker123 Tue 11-Jun-19 11:27:56

Still think you are ridiculous calling me far right. Report if you want would be very petty in my opinion but feel free.

Nonnie Tue 11-Jun-19 11:29:12

Maizie I can't remember where I originally posted it, sorry.

I deliberately didn't say which party he was supporting because that was entirely irrelevant, what he did was wrong. Anyone who thinks otherwise is also wrong. What he did was against the rules. Yes, someone else did hear it so why anyone would think otherwise is quite beyond me unless they have their own agenda.

If it is considered a fuss about nothing then those who consider it such have no regard for the rules. If I saw someone committing a crime I would try to stop it or, if I felt I couldn't, I would report it. This is no different.

Firecracker123 Tue 11-Jun-19 11:33:57

It's a wonder you don't crowd fund and get a personal prosecution again him seeing you think it was so serious.

Nonnie Tue 11-Jun-19 11:39:32

Fire that comment says so much about you and the way your mind works than anything about me. I am so sorry for you.