Gransnet forums

News & politics

Election Complaint Update

(72 Posts)
Nonnie Tue 04-Jun-19 09:59:30

Some of you will remember that I posted about the person working in the polling station trying to influence my vote. I have this morning had a phone call from the Electoral Office who are taking it very seriously. Unfortunately some on here didn't.

varian Sun 23-Jun-19 18:50:09

If "the righties are winning " why are they so afraid of putting it to the vote????

Callistemon Sun 23-Jun-19 18:31:29

I'm not a good enough cyclist to knit while I'm riding my bike, unfortunately - maybe I'll find a quiet place and see if it's possible.
CyclingKnitter please don't!
I don't think even Chris Frome should try that.

Firecracker123 Sun 23-Jun-19 18:29:40

Seems some can't take a joke and have no sense of humour lol. The undemocratic posters are the Remainers who won't accept the referendum result.

varian Sun 23-Jun-19 18:12:17

You do have to ask who are the undemocratic posters?

Dinahmo Sun 23-Jun-19 15:53:42

Nonnie The usual crew are out in force again. Don't understand why they can't accept what you said and leave it at that, All the nitpicking that's gone on. I can only think that they have nothing better to do and what sad lives they must leave. My excuse - it's too hot for me right now and the room where my computer lives is the coolest in the house

EllanVannin Sun 23-Jun-19 08:25:13

Blimey !!

Firecracker123 Sun 23-Jun-19 08:15:54

It's the lefties versus the righties on here and in real life ? and the righties are winning ?

crystaltipps Sun 23-Jun-19 06:39:59

It’s the same clique leaping to criticise.

GabriellaG54 Sun 23-Jun-19 01:33:33

Firecracker123
It's the same clique leaping to defend.
Nothing changes.
A storm in a thimble (and a miniscule thimble at that)
Some people need to loosen their corsets as tight stays restrict blood to the brain depriving the corset wearer of acuity and reason. grin

CyclingKnitter Sat 22-Jun-19 09:42:19

Nonnie, just read your post. You made me laugh. I'm not a good enough cyclist to knit while I'm riding my bike, unfortunately - maybe I'll find a quiet place and see if it's possible. I also tend to slow down on the knitting when the weather is warmer (sticky hands) and cycle more. I like the idea of knitting cycles too.

But at the moment I have unfinished: a sweater for my very tall and broad shouldered SiL to finish, a cardigan for my new (and first) granddaughter and a hoodie for my daughter: I really should focus on these rather than enjoying bike rides in the sun.

Nonnie Wed 12-Jun-19 11:04:30

Thanks all and thanks for the PMs too.

CyclingKnitter do you do it on your bike? My mind is boggling grin I am picturing you doing the Dragon ride holding on with your knees while knitting something warm to wear afterwards! Or maybe you knit cycles? Do give me a pattern

FarNorth Wed 12-Jun-19 10:55:19

I've not read all the thread so haven't seen the nasty comments. I can't see any reason to make them, tho.
Nonnie has reported something that concerned her and I hope it will be investigated.
Perhaps it was an 'offhand remark' and the person will get a talking to.
Perhaps they were making their remark to every voter and should be prevented from holding that post again.

CyclingKnitter Wed 12-Jun-19 10:01:05

Nonnie, you were right to lodge a complaint. And shame on those who are posting personal insults. It takes courage to stand up for what is right.

maddyone Wed 12-Jun-19 09:52:52

Nonnie, you did the right thing. Whether or not others would choose to report is entirely their own business, but if they chose not to report, the problem could well continue into future elections.

Gracesgran, with the greatest of respect I beg to differ from you about the description ‘far right’ people on Gransnet. I think far right means people who support following Tommy Robinson, and anarchy, not the every day older people who are on Gransnet. And that applies to people on the left too, I feel sure that our left leaning gransnetters would not support Stalinist ideas, or Chinese style communism. Of course we disagree, we’re all individuals who have different life experiences and we were brought up in different ways, but with respect I really don’t think any of us are far right or far left.

Nonnie Tue 11-Jun-19 17:56:03

Thank you rafich I am happy with what I did. I told him to his face that I didn't want to hear it and I made an official complaint. I reiterate that I think it was my civil duty. This is such a simple thing that I do find it hard to understand what is going on in the minds of those who are "really nasty and sarcastic"

rafichagran Tue 11-Jun-19 17:33:30

You have done nothing wrong. I would have handled it differently but that is me.
People on this thread are now starting to be really nasty and sarcastic. OP you done what you thought to be right, so let's respect that.

Nonnie Tue 11-Jun-19 13:20:55

Fire I made up my mind a few years ago to challenge people who are unfairly unpleasant to/about me.

You said "supposed offhand remark ]" who 'supposed* it? Why do you say I am "so much upset"? If I had "just brushed it off" I would not have been doing my civic duty. Who has "made such a song and dance about it"? Not me, I have just stated facts.

I simply cannot understand anyone who would think like you, it is completely beyond me. What exactly do you think I have done wrong and why? Do you do your civic duty?

GracesGranMK3 Tue 11-Jun-19 12:52:41

This "supposed offhand remark" breaks the laws around voting Firecracker123. Why don't you take that seriously? It is your democracy too.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 11-Jun-19 12:50:03

It's a wonder you don't crowdfund and get a personal prosecution again him seeing you think it was so serious. (123 Tue 11-Jun-19 11:33:57)

Why not just do what Nonnie has done Firecracker, report it and let things take their course as they will have a process in place to deal with this.

What are you really so angry about really?

GracesGranMK3 Tue 11-Jun-19 12:42:27

Still think you are ridiculous calling me far right. (123 Tue 11-Jun-19 11:27:56)

Where did I say that Firecracker

Firecracker123 Tue 11-Jun-19 12:03:53

No I'm sorry for you if a supposed offhand remark has caused you so much upset you must have led a very sheltered life, anyone I know would have just brushed it off and not made such a song and dance about it. Says a lot about you in my opinion but hey ho we are all different and come from all walks of life.

Nonnie Tue 11-Jun-19 11:39:32

Fire that comment says so much about you and the way your mind works than anything about me. I am so sorry for you.

Firecracker123 Tue 11-Jun-19 11:33:57

It's a wonder you don't crowd fund and get a personal prosecution again him seeing you think it was so serious.

Nonnie Tue 11-Jun-19 11:29:12

Maizie I can't remember where I originally posted it, sorry.

I deliberately didn't say which party he was supporting because that was entirely irrelevant, what he did was wrong. Anyone who thinks otherwise is also wrong. What he did was against the rules. Yes, someone else did hear it so why anyone would think otherwise is quite beyond me unless they have their own agenda.

If it is considered a fuss about nothing then those who consider it such have no regard for the rules. If I saw someone committing a crime I would try to stop it or, if I felt I couldn't, I would report it. This is no different.

Firecracker123 Tue 11-Jun-19 11:27:56

Still think you are ridiculous calling me far right. Report if you want would be very petty in my opinion but feel free.