Gransnet forums

News & politics

High Court Backto60 review

(33 Posts)
Caledonai14 Wed 05-Jun-19 08:29:25

Don't know if this is in elsewhere but I'm glad to see the High Court review of the way the government implemented and speeded up denial of State pensions to women born in the 1950s.

I've always supported having the same retirement age as men, but when I was in my 20s and 30s, all the talk was of making it 63 for both, but that didn't happen.

People slightly older than me had their pension age raised fairly slowly, but former chancellor George Osborne accelerated the rises on top of the insult that many of us didn't get any notification or were given the wrong age for receiving the State Pension.

Getting an accurate forecast is not as easy as they bill it and I have been told the wrong age twice within the past 2 years. I've also got a dispute between HMRC and the DSS about which of them should keep my last year's national insurance contribution and the result is they have it but nobody knows where it is.

Mainly, I'd like to know what the government has been doing with this saving of £40,000/£50,000 per head so far because they are being very quiet about it while many of us are struggling to keep things going while the goalposts are shifted.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48520176

GabriellaG54 Thu 06-Jun-19 12:45:15

Cherrytree59
Hmm...not quite.
I made no claim at 60 but, when I did, I was sent a letter saying that I would get a home visit.
Apparently, every so often, the DWP computers randomly pick NI numbers which are scrutinised to see if those people are getting the correct monies.
I was not given the opportunity to defer or take my pension therefore they owed me not only the pension but the interest accrued at 8%, tax free.
A very nice windfall appeared in my bank a fortnight later as I chose to take a larger lump sum and smaller pension as I had ex's pension and my own pp.
There are sometimes odd benefits to being older but I feel 66 is, for many people, still fairly youngish.
At 74 I am quite capable of working and am listed as a volunteer at my local hospital which will kick in next month.
I hope all those campaigning against the pension changes, are heard and compensated.

Loislovesstewie Thu 06-Jun-19 13:33:15

I'm astonished that the government only found out recently that we are all living longer! I assume that as they are able to access census records, births , deaths records etc then they might have known sooner!

Caledonai14 Thu 06-Jun-19 15:23:54

It was the acceleration that did for me and my friends and, no, 9 years was not enough time to make adequate provision when we were all still reeling from the effects of the 2008 downturn.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/26/biggest-austerity-cut-women-50s-bearing-brunt

Caledonai14 Thu 06-Jun-19 15:24:53

I wonder what they are doing with the £30 billion?

gillybob Thu 06-Jun-19 16:03:16

I assumed I would be able to retire and get my state pension at 60. Having lost almost everything we owned in the 2008 financial crash, my DH and I were counting on it. To be told that I would have to work another 7 years and 4 months to get my state pension ( 51+ years of working ) is a devastating blow for my DH and I .

Caledonai14 Thu 06-Jun-19 16:04:29

Gabriella I found this a most interesting read.

www.bylinetimes.com/2019/06/03/billion-pound-judicial-review-of-government-pensions-robbery

Caledonai14 Thu 06-Jun-19 16:10:40

Gillybob I recognise that situation from so many people and that's why I firmly believe that we in that age group should be getting the utmost care, consideration and help from the tax authorities and the NI people.

Certainly, we should not have to struggle getting accurate information.

Time for the government to listen and act and shame on them for this matter having to come to a costly judicial review, but well done to all the organisations keeping the issue to the fore.