Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ageing disgracefully

(122 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Thu 06-Jun-19 15:58:51

Reading about one or two of the vets at the memorial gatherings I was disappointed and yes, disgusted to read that one nudged HM the Queen and made inappropriate remarks to Melanie Trump.
Now I know they are oldies but for heaven's sake, does that mean such behaviour can be overlooked or thought of as acceptable? I think not.
It's just grubby behaviour not chuckleworthy or nudge-nudge wink-wink.
My dad would never have crossed the line thinking his age would make it ok.
It isn't.

maddyone Fri 07-Jun-19 10:25:48

My Dad, a veteran, but not of D-Day, would never have engaged in such behaviour, but I think I’m with the majority opinion here, in that from such an old man, it wasn’t the crime of the century. Older people do say inappropriate things sometimes, they were brought up in a different era than we were. If Melania smiled, then it’s unlikely she was offended. After all, Donald Trump is her husband! And I think the queen has heard and seen it all by this stage and is unlikely to have been offended.

tickingbird Fri 07-Jun-19 10:34:43

I was far more concerned with honouring these men and their fallen comrades. PC doesn’t come into it. I’m sure the Queen thinks the same. Everybody getting offended and virtue signalling these days. Yes my late mum would say ‘coloured’ when referencing a dark skinned person. Only someone desperately looking to be offended would take umbrage.

Margs Fri 07-Jun-19 10:39:15

Melania Trump must have had to bite her tongue about so many, many things her oafish husband has said and done that she probably didn't notice......

Jo1960 Fri 07-Jun-19 11:08:48

Totally agree, there was an unpleasant ex soldier who acted in a similar way and if challenged would come out with the I fought in the war for you trope. It really annoyed me, when I told him to get off and he didn't. I then told the pub landlord who reluctantly barred the man for a month. I had lots of verbal abuse because I'd grassed him up. He did stop pawing me but not others sadangry

tigger Fri 07-Jun-19 11:11:04

Get a life

grannyactivist Fri 07-Jun-19 11:18:45

If the gentleman in question had talked about grabbing Melania's pussy I might have agreed with you GabriellaG54.

grannyactivist Fri 07-Jun-19 11:20:10

Actually there's no might about it, I most certainly would have agreed that was inappropriate.

blondenana Fri 07-Jun-19 11:21:57

I find that some old men get very lecherous when they get to a certain age
Watched a first dates episode last week, and an old man of around 80 met his date and all he talked about was how he could still "do it" the poor woman was obviously embarrassed and he said at the end do you just want companionship or more, she said just companionship, and he said more or less no good to me then, made me feel sick

Pudding123 Fri 07-Jun-19 11:32:30

I know we are all entitled to our opinion but Really Gabriella G 54 I find i disagree with 90 percent of your posts

Saggi Fri 07-Jun-19 11:34:51

Nudged Brenda did he...couldn’t give a flying fart....after his sacrifices and the no doubt crap he has had to put up with as he’s aged....had a right to be a smidge naughty ... sod respect ...Brenda will no doubt see the funny side , why can’t you.

luluaugust Fri 07-Jun-19 11:44:36

Sorry they pre-date political correctness and reflect the time when they were young. If growing up in the 1960's looks like history imagine growing up in the 1930s. I am not saying it is right but it is understandable and it was probably the most honest thing the President and his wife have had said to them in a long time.

Nandalot Fri 07-Jun-19 12:06:19

It’s not on a par with some of Trump’s comments about his daughter... ‘voluptuous’ , ‘if I wasn’t her father I'd probably be dating her’.

DanniRae Fri 07-Jun-19 12:10:12

Who is 'Brenda' Saggi?

Milly Fri 07-Jun-19 12:31:47

What a lot of fuss about nothing. It was s compliment to Malania and she took it well. As some one else said it was good to see her smile

Mcrc Fri 07-Jun-19 12:41:25

Don't be so judgmental. They earned it if you ask me.

vintanner Fri 07-Jun-19 12:42:05

GabriellaG54, I hope YOU never behave inappropriately in the eyes of others and not be forgiven or even worse be written about on the internet!

Mcrc Fri 07-Jun-19 12:42:43

Oh, and please stop all the anti Trump comments. Enough

Opal Fri 07-Jun-19 12:56:06

You've obviously had a major sense of humour by-pass operation. Lighten up.

Tillybelle Fri 07-Jun-19 14:14:41

I did not know about this. However, I would simply overlook it as some kind of dementia. It is possible to have a loss of control or lose the ability to curb inappropriate behaviour in the case of some types of frontal lobe brain disorders. Frontal lobe dementia is like this. People can function well but are unable to stop themselves from saying socially inappropriate things.

Tillybelle Fri 07-Jun-19 14:41:56

Jo1960 Poor you! nobody should have to put up with that. On the "I fought the war for you..." comment, I will say some deep thoughts today. Yesterday I held back as I did not want to spoil our genuine gratitude and awe at what our parents' generation did.
There were several very pompous men in our village who used to parade on any occasion and had worked their way into the committee of the local British Legion. My Grandfather, who was in the Cavalry and had lost a lung in the trenches in the First WW, refused to be any part of the pomp and circumstance of Remembrance Sunday or any other occasion when the medals all came out. He was awarded the DSO, and often the British Legion begged him to attend their ceremonies. He began to go, as he said, to pray for the "Poor butchered boys who had no choice about what happened to them, whatever side they were on.."
He had seen so much that he did not like the glorification of war.
Then in the Second WW, he said the people he heard doing the boasting usually had had a "good war" in a safe posting somewhere while the brave people who went through hell, especially at the hands of the Japanese Army at the time, did not boast about what happened. Most of them, like him, did not talk about the horrors they had seen. They simply wanted to make sure it never happened again.
I watched the Funeral of Sir Winston Churchill with my Grandfather. The things he told me gave me long pause for thought. When the invasion went to France on D Day, the first wave of our men were almost in the majority expected to die, he told me. He said that the air support could not possibly knock out the guns the enemy had across the front. It was carnage, he said, and Churchill knew it would be.

NotSpaghetti Fri 07-Jun-19 14:42:08

I was less bothered about his comment about being 20 years younger than Trump's response!!!
shock

Tillybelle Fri 07-Jun-19 14:47:38

Mcrc. I agree! He's certainly not my favourite man but it has almost become a ridiculous kind of competition to point out the most terrible thing about him! I'm so fed-up with it!

minxie Fri 07-Jun-19 15:00:36

Why is it that if someone older says something or does something so called inappropriate they may have dementia.

Framilode Fri 07-Jun-19 15:27:40

I think he was just being a bit cheeky to Melania. She looked as if she were enjoying it and I think Trump didn't mind a bit. From the pictures I saw I think they thought it sweet and funny.

nanasam Fri 07-Jun-19 15:40:16

I agree, minxie, DM, when she turned 90 said "It's great getting old, you can say what you like and people accept it". She did say some pretty awful things, too.