Gransnet forums

News & politics

Europe and D Day

(32 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 06-Jun-19 19:32:33

Marie Scott, a DDay veteran and a recipient of the Legion D'Honneur was interviewed on Channel 4 News this evening. In addition to questions about her war time exploits she was also asked about her thoughts on the UK leaving Europe. She was a little reluctant to answer at first but she said the UK and the other countries had fought to save Europe and it was strange that they'd fought so hard to protect something that we are now leaving. She said that European culture was part of her and the she loved Europe and the UK.

I think that the majority of Remainers would agree with her and I wonder what the Leavers think

GracesGranMK3 Sat 08-Jun-19 10:08:18

A lot of people in other European countries don’t like what the EU has become. (Sat 08-Jun-19 08:24:42)

They don't want to leave though lemongrove they want to remain and change things in the EU.

Marie Scott is neither right or wrong in her thinking - it is her thinking, not yours! She is old enough and was involved enough to understand why the EU came about and has every right not to be slapped down by some young whippersnapper when, in answer to a question, she reluctantly offers her opinion. Why do you assume yours is superior I wonder?

Jabberwok Sat 08-Jun-19 10:32:06

Other countries are not in a financial position to leave the EU, so whether they wish to or not is neither here nor there! The EU has, very cleverly tied them down with debt that must be paid (borrowed) creating more debt and, like a fly in a spiders web, there is no escape. If we can't extract ourselves from the EU, then no one can! Other countries
are well aware of this! Nothing like a discontented population for causing war, not preventing it! Think USSR!!! Rule making? Telling other countries what they can or can't do, holding a financial pistol to their heads - Greece, Italy? who next?! Smacks of Empire to me, and I want no part of it!
Like others on here, I would be extremely concerned at the breakup of NATO, imo, a far more important institution for peace than the EU.

POGS Sat 08-Jun-19 12:09:41

GG MK3

"Why do you assume yours is superior I wonder?"
--

It has nothing to do with superiority of thinking it is voicing a different opinion.

I am sure there would not be a single GN poster who does not respect Marie Scott nor Any D Day veteran.

GracesGranMK3 Sat 08-Jun-19 18:34:42

It has nothing to do with superiority of thinking it is voicing a different opinion. Sat 08-Jun-19 12:09:41

lemongrove said that MS was "quite wrong in her thinking" and asked if others agreed. Did she expect the poor woman to jump on to GN and defend her views? That is not "voicing a difference of opinion" POGS

Dinahmo Sun 09-Jun-19 01:08:05

I was shocked but not surprised to read some of the comments about MS.
Lemongrove - she wasn't put on the spot by the interviewer and in fact there is an earlier interview with Jon Snow on you tube in which she voices similar opinions.
GG54 - perhaps you could explain what was 'evasive' about her reply?
POGS - I think we all know what happened in WW2 and also the history of the EU although I do find your logic a little odd on occasion.

POGS Sun 09-Jun-19 09:20:20

Dinamo

POGS - I think we all know what happened in WW2 and also the history of the EU although I do find your logic a little odd on occasion
---

OK