Gransnet forums

News & politics

WHO DO YOU FANCY FOR OUR NEXT PM, AND WHY?

(441 Posts)
Lyndiloo Thu 13-Jun-19 02:14:31

Well, there's 10 left in the race to be our next Prime Minister and voting starts tomorrow.

Who would you LIKE to be the next leader of the Tory party?

And who would you BET on?

Firecracker123 Thu 13-Jun-19 09:03:01

Perhaps Lyndiloo feels like shouting does it matter. I post on my phone and can't use bold type.

Grany Thu 13-Jun-19 09:06:26

None of them, the nasty party

Rory did not back Labour's no deal Brexit, as government wins by 11 points

MaizieD Thu 13-Jun-19 09:06:30

No-one knows the actuality of events post Brexit. It's supposition, not fact.

It's that stupid 'no-one's got a crystal ball' mantra again, isn't it?

If you don't know what's going to happen in the future why the hell did you vote Leave to swap the known for the unknown angry?

(tempted to rewrite that in capitals grin )

MaizieD Thu 13-Jun-19 09:10:12

I can use bold on my phone, firecracker ; it's just cheapo old android. I'm sure you could do it if you tried...

Anyway, contempt for forum manners is not a good look...

GillT57 Thu 13-Jun-19 09:23:21

Johnson is morally bankrupt and I am sickened that people are so desperate for Brexit that they are prepared to foist this awful man on the rest of us

goldengirl Thu 13-Jun-19 09:30:49

If the Tories continue to exist then I suggest Andrea Leadsom. Her recent interview was cool, calm and collected with no hype.

jura2 Thu 13-Jun-19 09:38:57

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

grumppa Thu 13-Jun-19 09:42:24

The last straw was my MP backing Boris. Hunt is the least ghastly of a dreadful bunch, in spite of the mess he made of the NHS. Or Javid.

Gonegirl Thu 13-Jun-19 09:44:32

I want Boris. Because I want to watch the fun.

As for the "shouting" - you are all such herd followers! grin

Callistemon Thu 13-Jun-19 09:55:31

Were you shouting there jura? grin
Or yodelling?

Sajid Javid?
On the grounds that no-one is perfect but the rest are worse.

Davidhs Thu 13-Jun-19 10:08:42

GG13
Be sure the EU can’t and won’t change, they are not going to betray the other 27 members and cause chaos, half the countries would say we want a special deal too.

Those who believe that are clutching at straws the EU wants a customs union deal but if we don’t agree they will stand whatever pain is inflicted.

Myself, I just want it to end

GrannyGravy13 Thu 13-Jun-19 10:12:06

I agree with your last sentence Davidhs

Whitewavemark2 Thu 13-Jun-19 10:12:07

No way Javid will get it, have you seen the way the Tories treated him over the state banquet?

MaizieD Thu 13-Jun-19 10:12:56

Well, unless we revoke A50, David, it's going to go on for years and years and years... Crashing out would just be the start of it...

Elvive Thu 13-Jun-19 10:15:29

Who on earth could have predicted that the Tory party would basically dissolve and we would be at each others throats , all because of that arrogant little twerp Cameron?

Where is he now?

Disclaimer.........I am not a Corbynite.

Callistemon Thu 13-Jun-19 10:31:47

I have just seen that, re Javid and the lack of invitation to the state banquet. "Home Secretaries are not normally invited"
Really?

But both Goves attended and Mordaunt along with other members of the Cabinet - surely a Home Secretary is further up 'the pecking order' than either of those ministers (and journalist wife?)

Anniebach Thu 13-Jun-19 10:35:44

Who was the journalist’s wife ?

GillT57 Thu 13-Jun-19 10:36:26

Oh that's interesting about Javid not being invited to the State Banquet. Credit to him for not making a fuss. What a bloody shower

Luckygirl Thu 13-Jun-19 10:45:28

No one of them - or indeed any other Tory MPs as far as I can see - has anything useful to say about the seriously poor, the homeless, and so many other groups in our society whose quality of life is zilch. I believe that they simply do not have the wit to imagine the way some people are forced to lead their lives; and nor do they care.

The Tories would lose a GE and they know it, but hanging onto power is their priority.

Wouldn't it be fun to see Boris lose? - I apologise for this very unkind question - but it would be fun, wouldn't it? grin

MaizieD Thu 13-Jun-19 10:49:59

It would be fun, indeed, Luckygirl grin

Davidhs Thu 13-Jun-19 10:50:45

MaisieD
You are assuming the EU will allow A50 to be revoked without strings, they are not going to allow UK to restart the whole issue in 6 months time, they want an end to it as well and the ball is in our court. However revoking does not seem to be on the table at the moment.

That aside, yes crashing out will be years of uncertainty.

MaizieD Thu 13-Jun-19 10:51:54

Not 'journalist's wife', Annie. 'Journalist wife'; Sarah Vine, aka Mrs Gove.

MaizieD Thu 13-Jun-19 10:54:23

The EU has no authority to attach strings to revocation, David. We are able to unilaterally revoke and retain exactly the same terms we enjoyed (and still enjoy) before the referendum. That's what all the legal bods say.

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jun-19 11:02:38

Now that No Deal is back on the table a bullish approach to the EU should now be the order of the day. That said, the vote last night is only one moment of sanity in Parliamentary proceedings that have recently bordered on farce.

Let's hope that last night's vote was not a flash in the pan and that our Parliament will now vote to secure the Brexit that was voted for 3 years ago.

Davidhs Thu 13-Jun-19 11:04:02

Others have suggested revoking and then declaring a second Article 50, the EU could just say the previous deal stands and refuse to negotiate at all.
If we are going to use disruptive delaying tactics they will do the same.