Gransnet forums

News & politics

WHO DO YOU FANCY FOR OUR NEXT PM, AND WHY?

(441 Posts)
Lyndiloo Thu 13-Jun-19 02:14:31

Well, there's 10 left in the race to be our next Prime Minister and voting starts tomorrow.

Who would you LIKE to be the next leader of the Tory party?

And who would you BET on?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 02-Jul-19 13:26:05

The more I see of those two the worse it gets. They are both presently in cloud cuckoo land over spending plans.
If it was labour putting forward these plans there would be screams of shock from the rooftops.

Lazigirl Tue 02-Jul-19 13:08:55

If Scotland gains independence I will apply for a Scottish passport. I agree that Boris would be the best choice, because he won't last long.

jura2 Tue 02-Jul-19 10:51:50

And as Bojo said 'there is only one Parliament in the UK, Westminster' - I just don't know how anyone could blame the Scots for wanting independence, come what may (not May)

jura2 Tue 02-Jul-19 10:50:41

Oh my, I certainly don't 'fancy' either, for sure. Perhaps Boris is the better bet, in as much he will hoist himself on his own petard and gaffes very quickly- and will force a GE and something major to happen ... dangerous times indeed.

I feel just like Nicola Sturgeon, who, when asked yesterday, replied 'it's like asking me if I prefer to be run over by a bus or ba a train' sad despair.

GabriellaG54 Sat 15-Jun-19 18:53:03

Of course paddyann I bow to your inside knowledge as to what will happen after Brexit.
A hot line to NS's spies perhaps? Console yourself with the thought that your most fervent wish, to leave the UK, might be heard and acted upon but it's always wise to be careful what you wish for.

jura2 Sat 15-Jun-19 18:34:57

'GO BORIS'

oh I wish he would, very very far away ...just disappear sad

paddyann Sat 15-Jun-19 13:51:26

you really are a comedian* GG54* not unlike the tory hopefuls .I'm sure the Comedy Club would appreciate your (hidden) talent .Once tariffs start to hit we'll see how leavers feel about the bills they're paying and they will without any doubt be much higher bills than currently .As you know ..or maybe not we dont pay tarrifs to the EU .Adding 20 odd % to food and everything else will make bank accounts and purses scream for mercy ..of coursenot yours .We all understand that you will be just fine .

GabriellaG54 Sat 15-Jun-19 13:45:34

10-1 none of the people on here who say they will move abroad, change their political allegiance or stop donations to their current party, will follow through with their assertions. You can bet on it. All bluster, like the politicians they dislike.
When things settle after Brexit they will realise that leavers were doing this country a favour.

Callistemon Sat 15-Jun-19 12:59:59

Yes, but where to, Orchidlover?

Orchidlover Sat 15-Jun-19 12:59:30

GO BORIS

Callistemon Sat 15-Jun-19 12:59:24

I think kwest meant the MPs though, crystal!

Labaik Sat 15-Jun-19 12:58:35

But then, strangely, a lot of people can see Trump and Johnson for what they are, but not Farage.

crystaltipps Sat 15-Jun-19 12:54:46

The popularity of Boris amongst those who also love Nigel shows that a % of the population are attracted to the superficial. Twas ever thus.

Callistemon Sat 15-Jun-19 12:46:12

Actually - it was Luckygirl who posted it on ^ Thu 13-Jun-19 14:42:52^, not me, apologies Luckygirl! but I said in a later post that I agreed with her and that I thought Max Hastings speaks a lot of sense.
He knows Boris very well.

Callistemon Sat 15-Jun-19 12:42:57

I can't understand the MPs fascination with Boris.
Me neither!

Thank you for posting that, Granny23, I mentioned the Max Hastings piece on this or another thread, but didn't post it all.

kwest Sat 15-Jun-19 12:38:56

Granny 23. Max Hastings said the point I was trying to put across, but far more eloquently.
Well done for finding his quote.

kwest Sat 15-Jun-19 12:35:01

I can't understand the MPs fascination with Boris.
He was unable to keep his marriage vows knowing this would upset his wife and family.
Why would we trust a word he says when he makes promises to people he doesn't even know?
Rory sounds the best of a truly dodgy bunch.

MaizieD Sat 15-Jun-19 12:18:19

pretending to support the Social Democratic Party, which was fashionable at the time, and switching to the Conservatives when he got the job.'

All those Leavers who think that he is going to get us out of the EU, easy peasy, should reflect on this.

Skilled in debate - which actually entails, at times, persuading your audience to support a proposition that you don't actually agree with, and ready to use deception to get the job he wants... hmm

Labaik Sat 15-Jun-19 12:15:34

www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/06/24/the-empty-promise-of-boris-johnson

Labaik Sat 15-Jun-19 11:34:07

'It was the same at Oxford, where Johnson joined the Bullingdon Club, the university’s most exclusive all-male dining club, and sought the presidency of the Oxford Union, its debating society. Johnson was brilliant on his feet. Anything could be played for laughs. Johnson became the union president by pretending to support the Social Democratic Party, which was fashionable at the time, and switching to the Conservatives when he got the job.'...part of another interesting article about Johnson explaining how his mind works...

EllanVannin Sat 15-Jun-19 09:44:35

Anyone with hoards of money will leave the country-----if they've got any sense.
If I were a big businessman would I invest in this country ? No !

Nico97 Sat 15-Jun-19 08:32:45

Ah but, all the ones who say they will leave the country - will they actually leave ? No, they will not, just like all the celebs who threatened to leave the US when Donald Trump was in the running.

Firecracker123 Sat 15-Jun-19 08:19:34

Max Hastings also Yasmin Alibhai Brown say they are leaving the country if Boris is PM, best start packing then, goodbye ?.

EllanVannin Sat 15-Jun-19 08:18:06

Lord help us if he thinks he can run the country ! Watch this space.

EllanVannin Sat 15-Jun-19 08:12:22

Like all other politicians, BJ will never give a direct answer and when there's something he's unsure of he " covers it up " with his inane bumbled non-amusing quips.

Can't anyone see through this ? He side-tracks a lot. We can all play at that. It doesn't take a Philadelphia lawyer to see that he's fooling the public to get where he wants to be.