Gransnet forums

News & politics

France is going to be shut down 22nd June

(86 Posts)
Grany Thu 13-Jun-19 08:49:50

I just been sent this YouTube video

Seems the French are fed up with Macron
What do others think?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=qUtyoV72JwA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR38VfYpHeAIp0fyz5rNI0VFmaqTqwykkdIUaLnI2K1C9m3_LkAZg2_E38g

Callistemon Sun 23-Jun-19 20:51:23

I don't think we have rabies in the UK and France is now rabies-free too

Nice to see that ouest france is still going, Lisagran, it brought back some memories from many years ago. smile

POGS Sun 23-Jun-19 20:45:44

Grandad

"Just another day when the so many times prophesy that the European Union was on the verge of total break up has not come about.

We have been told so often on this forum by rabid brexiteers that problems in any European Union member country were due to the "overbearing" had of Brussels."
--

Am I missing something?

Who is the ' rabid brexiteer ' ?

lemongrove Sun 23-Jun-19 17:18:41

Grandad... think you are posting on the wrong thread, this one is about The yellow vest movement causing shut downs in France.....except that they aren’t.?

jura2 Sun 23-Jun-19 17:14:15

Here in the East, nothing ...

Lisagran Sun 23-Jun-19 15:55:21

www.ouest-france.fr/bretagne/lorient-56100/lorient-une-centaine-de-gilets-jaunes-joignent-le-rond-point-de-lann-sevelin-6411281/amp

Motorway outside Lorient closed yesterday for a few hours due to Gilets jaune protesters. But certainly no national shut down.....

EllanVannin Sun 23-Jun-19 15:34:49

Well it's either going to rain or go dark before morning.

That's my prophesy.

Grandad1943 Sun 23-Jun-19 15:05:39

Just another day when the so many times prophesy that the European Union was on the verge of total break up has not come about.

We have been told so often on this forum by rabid brexiteers that problems in any European Union member country were due to the "overbearing" had of Brussels. However, those problems in such counties as Greece, Spain, France and Italy just to name a few are always resolved with the help of Brussels, and the EU moves on.

Brexteers should think on the above when Britain is alone outside of the EU and trying to resolve the enormous problems that will face all of us in that environment.

M0nica Sun 23-Jun-19 13:22:51

My last post on this subject

France was entirely quiet yesterday, everything running smoothly. We drove to Ouistreham to get the ferry home along motorways, round towns of various sizes and into Caen itself, without seeing any signs of disruption. The port wasfunctioning smoothly, the ferry running to time and all was well on board.

Our Danish Sybil, clearly doesn't have the gifts of prophecy granted to the Greek Sybil. and as for her reliable informant ........................................

M0nica Fri 21-Jun-19 16:03:13

I haven't seen a single GJ since arriving in Normandy on Monday, not round the port, the Caen ringroad, the motorway, or any of the three towns I have visited.

Even the local farmer who usually has government bashing posters at his farm gate has none up at present.

Grany Fri 21-Jun-19 12:25:17

Hi POGS I don't know who she is or who is behind Secret Sources. I was just sent this on Face Book messenger. I thought it might be true so posted on here. Having second thoughts, I said on previously post it is probably Fake News

I don't know
I know there have been months of demonstrations with the with yellow vests so lots of discontent with Macron and the way country is run.

MawBroonsback Fri 21-Jun-19 10:50:31

I gave her, whoever she is, a full 15 seconds, then gave up out of boredom. Why do amateurs think they can emulate news presenters ?
All that was missing was the ‘Allo, ‘allo fake French accent and “Ah weel tell you thees only wance..”

POGS Fri 21-Jun-19 10:36:21

Grany

Who is the woman repoirting this in your link to you tube.?

Who is behind ' SECRET SOURCES '?

I have no idea if France will shutdown on June 22nd and on googling the possibility I am taken to your thread and Gransnet as the first point of mentioning it.

I am not saying it will not happen but I am intrigued by your link and to whom/what I have just viewed .

MawBroonsback Fri 21-Jun-19 10:34:13

So another rumour which has grown legs thanks to YouTube, Mumsnet etc
It amuses me that this edition of The Little Red Hen is described as a “flap book” - see what they did there?

M0nica Fri 21-Jun-19 07:39:43

Normandy: Just bought the local paper for this weekend. No mention of any problems. Just news about how to enjoy yourself this weekend at one of the many events on round the area.

The events list does not mention anything about participating in a day of strikes.

Carillion Thu 20-Jun-19 18:09:07

No news regarding Saturday in Brittany

sodapop Thu 20-Jun-19 17:50:40

Nothing from me either. All very quiet here in Nouvelle Aquitaine.

Fennel Thu 20-Jun-19 16:50:06

Lucky you, petra - I wish I was there!

petra Thu 20-Jun-19 14:16:00

We are in the port at Marseille at the moment. Nobody seems to know anything.

jura2 Thu 20-Jun-19 14:04:39

Been to France twice in last 3 days and asked a few people about Saturday ... nothing.

Will stay in Switzerland and go to our lake instead.

M0nica Thu 20-Jun-19 08:20:55

I have just picked up a reference that the Gilet Jaune are calling for a national stoppage on Saturday (22 June). The day after tomorrow

But even on French news sites there is very little publicity, so I suspect the most we will get is some localised problems.

We leave home at 6.00am on Saturday to catch an 8.30am ferry. Hopefully, if there is any trouble, we will be up and a way before it gets going.

M0nica Wed 19-Jun-19 15:56:26

Currently in France at the moment. Macron has put fuel prices up by 6%, not taxes. There are possible strikes by the trains and Air France but no talk of airports being closed.

The cestlagreve site shows nothing. I still think this is a storm in a teacup, but prepared to accept I could be wrong.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 18-Jun-19 16:22:05

There are more and more tweets appearing on twitter indicating that France will have some serious closures this Saturday. Including airports/train stations, Paris and other cities.

Apparently Macron has/is putting taxes up by 6%.

Fennel Mon 17-Jun-19 11:41:32

Looks as if Auch, the capital town of the Gers dept, will be shut down this weekend:
www.ladepeche.fr/2019/06/16/la-mairie-dauch-ne-veut-pas-des-gens-du-voyage-ils-bloquent-la-ville-avec-plus-de-150-caravanes-et-500-voitures,8260042.php

M0nica Sun 16-Jun-19 17:03:34

The other reason is that for almost every other country in the world, English is the first language people learn after their mother tongue, very few have learnt, French, German, Swedish etc. They head for the country where they already speak the language.

suzied Sun 16-Jun-19 16:35:06

GabriellaG54 people risk their lives to come to the UK for numerous reasons - they have relatives here, they speak English, they support Manchester United, they can work under the radar more easily than in France or Italy where you have to have ID cards, plenty of refugees from poor or war torn countries also head to the USA, Canada, Sweden, Germany , Italy and, yes France - they don't all head to the UK. Im sure you know all this you are just trying to convince yourself that we are somehow specially attractive because of the wonderfully welcoming population.