Gransnet forums

News & politics

Travellers tales

(41 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Sun 16-Jun-19 01:32:49

I read that a certain family of 'gypsies ' (as reported in MailOnline) has been buying up land for a pittance, reportedly £9k and have built an ugly 10ft high breeze block wall at the entrance after parking numerous caravans and 4×4s on the area which is the size of a tennis court.
After making an unholy mess of the local beauty spot with rubbish, burning fires and urinating and defecating in the gardens of residents, they are now demanding £600k yes...six hundred thousand pounds from residents if they want them to move.
This is the family who were recently kicked out of NZ for similar behaviour.
The same travelling family group are threatening to bring down house prices in another scenario 8 miles away where they have threatened residents who are now crowd-funding to raise the 'demanded' £100k to buy back the 1/4 acre piece of land for which the travellers paid an elderly couple £12k.
They've already driven heavy plant hire through the hedge flattening everything in it's path.
I can't write what I really think of this extortion and the inability of police to arrest them for their behaviour, however, it stinks, which is not to put too fine a point on it.
Another minority 'untouchable' group.
A curse and blight on the face of the earth...IMV.

GabriellaG54 Sun 16-Jun-19 21:11:14

maned manned

Urmstongran Sun 16-Jun-19 21:14:26

It’s frightening to think about people who would bully others in that way.

GabriellaG54 Sun 16-Jun-19 21:16:26

Sorry blush
kne trued to escspe
one tried to escape

Caledonai14 Sun 16-Jun-19 21:38:18

I'd like to support the point made by Luckygirl that you can't blame a whole community or ethnic group for the misdeeds of some.

I fully agree with the points made about the heartbreak and unfairness of any group of people showing up and camping in unauthorised spots, then leaving a mess. It happens here too.

But we also have large groups of travelling people connected with various shows, fairs, festivals and Highland Games over the summer. These people are regulars and depend upon local goodwill and - to my knowledge - behave and camp appropriately. They all pay taxes and wages like anybody else. Many of them have winter bases which are permanent and they tend to leave their temporary sites clean and undamaged (though sometimes an event's insurance will include tidying by the organisers and local people are paid to do this).

There are many different identifiable kinds of travellers, but only two have specific "ethnic origin" protection under Equality legislation, Romany gypsies and Irish travellers, who have traditionally been persecuted and unfairly treated by a wide variety of populations going back many years.

I really do understand how annoying and frightening it can be when seemingly-closed groups of people seem to flout the normal rules of civilised behaviour, but you can't just lump whole loose ethnic groups in for criticism. If we did that for people of any one religious persuasion - or everyone from a particular continent - it would be illegal.

GabriellaG54 Sun 16-Jun-19 21:42:00

Years ago, when visiting friends in Cockerham and walking to a local pub one New Years Eve, we saw two roly poly caravans and two piebald horses tethered in a clearing. There was a huge brazier fire and three people sitting around it.
I called to ask if we could talk to them and they agreed. It was dark, they offered us beer and spoke with a heavy dialect. We were shown the caravans which were decorated like some narrow boats with wonderful painting, ornate carving and velvet and lace curtains. There was also a huge car and modern caravan which we hadn't seen from the road.
The one lady kept touching one of the men and telling me 'this is my man' and sitting on his knee. They looked in their late 40s, weathered and dressed like true Romany gypsies as depicted in old books.
We left but the land being rather boggy, the two men gave us piggybacks back to the road.
A night I'll never forget. We got home at 6am.

GabriellaG54 Sun 16-Jun-19 21:45:28

Caledonail4
I think I made that point clear. I, as I'm sure we all do, know the difference.

MiniMoon Sun 16-Jun-19 22:06:15

There was a permanent Travellers camp near where we had our first house. For the most part they were ordinary, decent people. Their children went to the local school when they weren't off travelling with their parents. My son counted one of the little boys as his friend. His mother couldn't read it write but she was the nicest of women. It is only a minority of the Traveller community that cause trouble and leave mess.

Jane10 Mon 17-Jun-19 07:52:02

I don't understand why those that carry out the clearly criminal acts can't be dealt with as any of us would be? Surely this is the political correctness that led to the inertia around all those girls being abused in Rotherham and other towns. There are rogue elements in every minority. They can't be excused just because others of their minority behave in a civilised way. Fine. There are nice enough travellers but there are clearly very very unpleasant ones.

Luckygirl Tue 18-Jun-19 14:47:34

I don't understand why those that carry out the clearly criminal acts can't be dealt with as any of us would be?

They are dealt with - visit any prion and there you will find many Travellers. There is strong evidence that Travellers are more likely than gorjas to get custodial sentences for wrong-doing - presumably because the authorities are concerned that they might not have a settled address from which to attend probation or whatever.

Jane10 Tue 18-Jun-19 19:13:18

But what about the extortion mentioned in the OP?

FarNorth Tue 18-Jun-19 20:40:36

Setting a high price for property you want to sell is not a crime.

Luckygirl Tue 18-Jun-19 22:17:25

If someone has committed a crime they should be arrested and brought to justice. That is clear.

Eloethan Tue 18-Jun-19 23:27:53

Gabriella You say "another minority "untouchable" group". What other minority groups do you claim are "untouchable"? Do you hae a list, or perhaps you're not prepared to divulge it?

You also refer to "a curse and blight on the face of the earth" . That sort of language is very reminiscent of the language used to whip up hatred of various groups of people throughout history and to justify their ill treatment, incarceration or worse.

I thought extortion, threatening behaviour and fly tipping were crimes and, as such, should be dealt with by the relevant authorities. Of course the "political correctness gone mad" pronouncement is often made in cases of this nature but it seems to me that many people are far from "politically correct" and feel quite free to call all travellers "pikeys" "gypos", etc, etc.

If there is strong pictorial and other evidence of people commiting extortion, threatening violence and commiting environmental crimes, etc, etc, then the legal authorities should have no problem in justifying a prosecution and countering a claim of discrimination.

Jane10 Wed 19-Jun-19 06:21:42

But apparently they do!

GabriellaG54 Wed 19-Jun-19 07:48:14

Very succinct Jane10 grin