Gransnet forums

News & politics

Unaccompanied Child Refugees

(64 Posts)
varian Thu 20-Jun-19 11:45:50

World Refugee Day, international observance observed June 20 each year, is dedicated to raising awareness of the situation of refugees throughout the world.

Labour Peer Lord Alf Dubbs, who was himself a child refugee, proposed The Dubs amendment, passed in May 2016, which required the government to act “as soon as possible” to relocate and support unaccompanied refugee children in Europe. MPs and campaigners hoped the Dubs scheme would resettle around 3,000 children but ministers controversially set a limit of 480, despite councils saying they could find space for far more. However, in November of last year, figures revealed in a parliamentary answer show less than half that number – 220 – have been transferred to the UK.

www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/03/uk-admits-only-20-unaccompanied-child-refugees-in-two-years

These are very vulnerable children and need to be sponsored by local authorities who arrange fostering and other support services, but local authorities are willing to take more children. For instance in March, as a result of a local campaign, Wiltshire Council unanimously committed to welcome up to 100 refugee children over the next 10 years, as part of the national Safe Passage Our Turn campaign to call on central government to fund foster places.

www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/17468750.pledge-to-welcome-100-child-refugees-in-wiltshire/

EllanVannin Thu 20-Jun-19 11:59:34

100 ? Big deal ! Chester is resettling 20,000 by 2020. Young adults and children.

suziewoozie Thu 20-Jun-19 12:29:27

EllenVannin that just cannot in a million years be true

Loislovesstewie Thu 20-Jun-19 12:41:18

Well I hope that they really are children! Without proper documentation it's quite possible that many will actually be adults. I am speaking from experience by the way.

suziewoozie Thu 20-Jun-19 12:44:31

Perhaps some facts would be helpful before discussing further - 20,000 - come on. Young adults and children?

Elvive Thu 20-Jun-19 12:50:16

Do you have direct experience Lois? That sounds interesting.

suziewoozie Thu 20-Jun-19 12:55:23

EllenVannin your figures just cannot be true really

Loislovesstewie Thu 20-Jun-19 13:06:45

I think it is important to note that in many countries dates of birth are just not noted as assiduously as in the UK. So a young person may truthfully not know if s/he is 17, 18 or 19. Remember that it is important to be under 18 to be a child. So, how do we tell? We aren't allowed to carry out dental checks for example so it's quite possible that person is actually over 18. I am not allowed to give you examples ( I'm sure you understand why), but I have had serious doubts that the person in question is actually who they say they are. For example , if they speak a language that is common over several countries how do you know that they come from a country that is at war and not from a neighbouring country that has no issues? It is easy under those circumstances for a person to make a false claim. I won't say more but sometimes a bit of cynicism is a good thing.

pinkquartz Thu 20-Jun-19 13:08:13

The downside is when families in poor countries send their kids off to Europe with people smugglers and they may not be safe at all.
The families do it believing they are giving their children a better start in life.

I saw a documentary, forget which one, about a year ago about this. That is why there are so many unaccompanied children.

suziewoozie Thu 20-Jun-19 13:10:43

Chester is not resettling 20000 of any age

EllanVannin Thu 20-Jun-19 13:10:59

Suziewoozie, yes. The idea being that a quota of 20,000 would be received from 2014 to 2020. Which is till more than 100 a go.

suziewoozie Thu 20-Jun-19 13:14:05

No EllenVannin it’s just not true. You said Chester were resettling 20,000 by 2020 - it just is not true.

EllanVannin Thu 20-Jun-19 13:15:11

The right hand doesn't know what the left hand does so far as those who are South of Watford go. This is exactly what I was trying to explain about the North and South divide.

Nobody has a clue except us in the NW/NE and North in general. Southerners need to remove their rose-coloured specs ! Including the useless politicians in Westminster too.

WadesNan Thu 20-Jun-19 13:16:59

20,000 between 2014 and 2020 equates to approx. 64 per week!

EllanVannin Thu 20-Jun-19 13:17:18

Liverpool has probably taken in more refugees than any other area in the country------but no extra funding to back them up. Why do you think we're known as the poor relations of this country ? It's criminal !

varian Thu 20-Jun-19 13:21:48

Could you please give us a link or reference to substantiate your claim EllanVannin?

GillT57 Thu 20-Jun-19 13:23:06

Ellenvannin just found this Councillors have agreed that up to 20 refugee families will be resettled in the borough over a five-year period, as part of a wider commitment for the Cheshire sub-region as a whole The 20,000 figure is for the UK as a whole I believe.

suziewoozie Thu 20-Jun-19 13:24:01

In 2015 the Government pledged to take in 20, 000 refugees from 2015-2020. We have taken in 16,000 so far and the Home Secretary has pledged 5,000 more next year. This is for the whole country not Chester. I’m not saying they are distributed equally or fairly across the country but there is no way Chester has pledged to 20, 000

Summerlove Thu 20-Jun-19 13:27:16

@lois, how do you confuse a10 yr old from an adult?!

JenniferEccles Thu 20-Jun-19 13:27:32

I think we need to get the wording right here.

These are not migrants children ( or otherwise as others have pointed out), but illegal immigrants, sent by scheming parents in the hope that European countries (and specifically us of course) will take them in.

Then of course once the 'children' are in, the parents would feel that they would have a good chance of getting in here too.

And so it goes on with our country getting more and more overcrowded year after year.

suziewoozie Thu 20-Jun-19 13:30:47

Thanks GillT57. In my area we only take families as well.

Loislovesstewie Thu 20-Jun-19 13:33:55

If you read my post, I have said that often we are talking about people who claim to be 16 or 17 , which makes them children for the purposes of being unaccompanied minors. They may well be over 18 , both for the reasons I have given and also because some may be untruthful. I think you have ,however, raised the point that when we think about unaccompanied children most of us think that we are talking about very young children who should not be abandoned. A lot of the time the children are really teens/young adults.

EllanVannin Thu 20-Jun-19 13:35:08

GillT57 Sajid Javid had pledged another 10,000 entries into the UK if he'd been voted as PM-----which means to me that his promise will remain whoever gets in, so the figures still don't ring true.

Yes, I beg your pardon on the 20,000 in Chester as it is the UK as a whole. Neverthless, they have a migration programme which allows Syrian displacements to settle in the area. Does such a programme exist anywhere else ?

Summerlove Thu 20-Jun-19 13:37:57

I’m sorry Lois, From the time I open the page until the time I got around to writing my comment your second comment hadn’t popped up. So I do understand your point better. However, do you feel that people are deliberately lying about their age or do they genuinely not know?

EllanVannin Thu 20-Jun-19 13:38:28

It doesn't alter the fact that we in Wirral and Merseyside have taken the most refugees !