Gransnet forums

News & politics

Unaccompanied Child Refugees

(65 Posts)
varian Thu 20-Jun-19 11:45:50

World Refugee Day, international observance observed June 20 each year, is dedicated to raising awareness of the situation of refugees throughout the world.

Labour Peer Lord Alf Dubbs, who was himself a child refugee, proposed The Dubs amendment, passed in May 2016, which required the government to act “as soon as possible” to relocate and support unaccompanied refugee children in Europe. MPs and campaigners hoped the Dubs scheme would resettle around 3,000 children but ministers controversially set a limit of 480, despite councils saying they could find space for far more. However, in November of last year, figures revealed in a parliamentary answer show less than half that number – 220 – have been transferred to the UK.

www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/03/uk-admits-only-20-unaccompanied-child-refugees-in-two-years

These are very vulnerable children and need to be sponsored by local authorities who arrange fostering and other support services, but local authorities are willing to take more children. For instance in March, as a result of a local campaign, Wiltshire Council unanimously committed to welcome up to 100 refugee children over the next 10 years, as part of the national Safe Passage Our Turn campaign to call on central government to fund foster places.

www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/17468750.pledge-to-welcome-100-child-refugees-in-wiltshire/

varian Thu 20-Jun-19 19:04:24

We should not, in a civilised country have teenagers sleeping on the streets, or older people for that matter. That is one issue I would like our new PM to address, but I'm not holding my breath.

Elvive Thu 20-Jun-19 20:00:25

An adult refugee can get a job and earn a living and scrape together some kind of life possibly. An asylum seeker can be in limbo for 5, 6 7 years, existing on a pittance and forbiddenfrom working.

Anniebach Thu 20-Jun-19 20:33:41

Then so could the young on the streets ?

quizqueen Thu 20-Jun-19 20:43:25

Refugees are supposed to claim asylum in the first safe country they come to.

suziewoozie Thu 20-Jun-19 22:08:34

I think it’s asylum seekers that are supposed to seek asylum in the first country they come to

Eloethan Fri 21-Jun-19 00:07:50

It's funny how many people start talking about "putting our own house in order" as soon as the issue of refugees or asylum seekers is raised.

Our home-grown poor come in very handy when making a case for denying help to refugees. But it seems to me that the very same people who use this excuse are often the ones who support politicians and governments who want to cut taxes for the better off, while reducing support for those in need.

Elvive Fri 21-Jun-19 09:35:20

Yes, they claim asylum. Then they sit in a rat infested hell hole ( thanks Serco), which is often miles away from anybody or anything. They have no funds for travel . They are not allowed to work and they are traumatised and broken.

Anniebach Fri 21-Jun-19 10:14:15

Elvive. What do you think should be done with asylum seakers ?

Elvive Fri 21-Jun-19 10:17:44

They are people, lets not forget that. A diverse group of people but for the sake of this conversation we will call them asylum seekers.

I think they should be efficiently supported to gain a foothold in their new home. They should be allowed to contribute ie work. Their skills, talents and resilience should be valued.

EllanVannin Fri 21-Jun-19 11:23:14

I'm hoping that what our council proposes comes into fruition. It's a " Support for children out of care " programme to help with education and training, employment, accommodation, health and well-being, relationships and also taking part in their communities.

It's about 10 years+ too late of course, like everything else but at least it could set a precedent for what happens in the future as right now there's no aftercare/follow-up for those who've spent time in care.

We in Wirral have 800 children in care and 300 of them are aged between 13 and 18.

Elvive Fri 21-Jun-19 22:43:45

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE3kKUEY5WU

EllanVannin Fri 21-Jun-19 22:55:30

A very appropriate song reflecting the turmoil of today. Sad !

Elvive Fri 21-Jun-19 23:10:05

Thank Ellan, it speaks to my soul.

varian Sat 22-Jun-19 10:58:54

Swindon students words of welcome

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YNZYN4n0Wc&t=3s&fbclid=IwAR17xqNdCoMOPlWxueMNR4Gb4MBfI7CaWSIhZBwzPDCRwyrmArNMYaSwe2Q