Gransnet forums

News & politics

Politicians on TV

(38 Posts)
Dinahmo Sat 22-Jun-19 14:39:45

Should we ban politicians from tv programmes apart from the news and politics? I'm asking because I think HIGNIFY is to blame for Boris Johnson's popularity. His appearances were always entertaining and, as a result, many people admired him and some still do, despite everything we have learned about his misdemeanors.

specki4eyes Mon 24-Jun-19 21:51:36

The only hope now is that when all these sad, deluded people see what a charlatan Bojo the Clown is as he destroys the UK, the Conservative Party, democracy, and a political system which, even though imperfect, we could generally trust.....he will disappear from political life and will never surface again. Some hopes!
I know a journalist who had the misfortune to work on the same newsdesk back in BoJos junior reporter days. He was deemed a joke then and in the words of the Maybot, "nothing has changed".

LullyDully Tue 25-Jun-19 08:22:26

(Am I the only one who had to Google hignify?)

Ginny42 Tue 25-Jun-19 08:33:23

eazybee what is wrong with your eyes? You looked at David Milliband and saw a snake? Bizarre!

Anniebach Tue 25-Jun-19 08:43:52

David Milliband would have been Party leader and possibly PM, he was ahead in the leadership contest until the union vote gave Ed Milliband the leadership.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 25-Jun-19 08:48:15

When it comes to politicians on TV, what annoys me is that these TV 'debates' are supposed to be taking place at all. What is the point, when the electorate for the Tory leadership is so small. Let them condemn themselves out of their own mouths on news programmes or interview programmes such as Andrew Marr's one, but spare us the staged 'debates'! Thank goodness for the Off button.

(Sorry if that has been said before on one of the Politics threads; normally I avoid them.)

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 10:56:26

I see no point in the televised debates either When - it's not as if the majority of us have a vote on this.

POGS Tue 25-Jun-19 11:12:55

The question in the OP wasn't asking about the likes of the Andrew Made show which is obviously news/political .

The question was:-

" Should we ban politicians from tv programmes apart from the news and politics? "

Wheniwasyourage Tue 25-Jun-19 14:18:36

Yes, you're right POGS, sorry, it's just that I am getting so fed up with the whole thing and can do nothing about it.

Keeping Boris Johnson off TV of any kind is a tempting thought, but it seems a bit OTT to keep them all off everything. They should be able to speak about things other than their own party politics on programmes like HIGNFY, at least if they are the well-rounded human beings that we should want our leaders to be. Hum...

Bridgeit Tue 25-Jun-19 14:40:43

Sadly it is often the case that people are drawn towards a loud, confident opinionated person , it is initially perceived as being strong , powerful & capable. Too late it is discovered that it’s all hot air & bulls- - t without any substance.
Rory Stewart didn’t stand a chance even though he has all the qualities & experience to do a good negotiating job.
It is a very unfortunate & negative trait in humans.

eazybee Tue 25-Jun-19 17:34:40

Ginny42: 'he reminded me of a snake'.

POGS Tue 25-Jun-19 20:28:06

Wheniwasyourage

No need to say sorry I wasn't making a personal comment to you or any poster , more making point of what the question in the OP was.

Mind you the OP possibly was only interested in singling out BJ being 'banned' from being allowed from being on t.v programmes and not as I mentioned Corbyn on Celebrity Goggle Box and the Last Leg or Vince Cable on Strictly.

Dinahmo Tue 25-Jun-19 22:13:35

I did have BJ in mind when I asked the question because I've heard so many people say how wonderful he is. Mind you, that was some months ago, before the current debacle. Nevertheless I do think that those appearances on HIGNIFY resulted in a lot of people liking him then and many of those still support him.