Gransnet forums

News & politics

Frogmore ... some ‘cottage’!

(281 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 25-Jun-19 09:45:08

Apparently it was 5 dwellings now knocked into one luxurious dwelling for Harry and Meghan at a cost of almost £3 million - and its not quite finished yet!

I think public funding of the royal family should have a cap on it after the third heir to the throne, being Prince William.

We have a monarch, plus two spares. After that point, an allowance should be paid per official function performed, with a clothing and travel allowance permitted.

The balance of their funds should be privately funded by themselves in whatever way they choose- trust fund, hand outs from other family members or, gasp, actually work for it! Enough is enough of this royal gravy train.

What do others feel?

annep1 Sat 29-Jun-19 22:18:37

One can only hope!

annep1 Sat 29-Jun-19 22:19:20

Oh dear I meant to be off lol!

Alexa Sun 30-Jun-19 18:48:08

The Windsors have lots of opportunities to demonstrate frugality and be a good example to their subjects. I wish they , at least the younger ones, would take the moral lead in this and show they do so.

The cost of the paraphernalia of state occasions must be paid for , as the Windsors are well worth the cost to the public purse. But what a shame if they come to be perceived as just another lot of silly aristocrats with inflated tastes.

Jabberwok Sun 30-Jun-19 19:06:32

While people love the monarchy and they draw the crowds (and they still do even in Scotland) the monarchy will continue! When they cease to be interesting to everyday folk, then they'll cease to be relevant. Our RF is loved,both here and abroad by millions of people. Republicans,eat your hearts out, I think you've got a long wait ahead of you before the end of this institution however much you rail against it!!

Anniebach Sun 30-Jun-19 19:35:26

True Jabber

And charities want them as patrons , it brings in more money. The Prince of Wales Trust has the support of many wealthy celebrities, and so many young people have been helped to find work.

The crowds turned out in Scotland last week for the Queen.