Gransnet forums

News & politics

Frogmore ... some ‘cottage’!

(281 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 25-Jun-19 09:45:08

Apparently it was 5 dwellings now knocked into one luxurious dwelling for Harry and Meghan at a cost of almost £3 million - and its not quite finished yet!

I think public funding of the royal family should have a cap on it after the third heir to the throne, being Prince William.

We have a monarch, plus two spares. After that point, an allowance should be paid per official function performed, with a clothing and travel allowance permitted.

The balance of their funds should be privately funded by themselves in whatever way they choose- trust fund, hand outs from other family members or, gasp, actually work for it! Enough is enough of this royal gravy train.

What do others feel?

Shoequeen53 Tue 25-Jun-19 10:49:55

That 69p a year would go precisely nowhere. I can think of ways far bigger sums are wasted for zero return.

stella1949 Tue 25-Jun-19 10:50:20

GrannyGravy13 Wallis and Edward's graves are in the Frogmore burial ground which surrounds the Royal Mausoleum. They are not in the garden of the cottage where Harry and Meghan live.

Anniebach Tue 25-Jun-19 10:52:18

Sarah Ferguson did not live in Crown property, she and Andrew had a new house built, gift from the queen, when it was sold she had her share of the sale. Same with Anne and
Andrew, one home given as a gift from the queen and offices in St James Palace or Buck House.

Andrew and Sarah Ferguson now have a house in Windsor.

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 10:52:23

Does the world care about the Danish Royal Family, Urmstongran?, apart from the Danes and Australians?
Do they have a Commonwealth which more and more countries wish to join?
Do they preside over world-wide forest consevation projects (Harry and The Queen's Commonwealth Canopy)

Are they the most recognised people in the world?
What do they do?

There really is no comparison.

Anja Tue 25-Jun-19 10:53:40

Thank you Callistemon

We have a very hard working Queen, still going strong in her 90s. Charles and Camilla are a good brand, as are William and Harry.

I doubt SirChenjin Harry can be classed as a ‘minor’ royal and it would seem from your name that you have ambitions in that department yourself ??

SirChenjin Tue 25-Jun-19 10:53:41

Really? I can think of plenty of places it could go.

The latest figures show they cost £1.24 now. £67 million pa, up £20 million from last year. I can think of a few places £67 million could be spend on.

SirChenjin Tue 25-Jun-19 10:54:54

Yes Anja - my Gransnet username shows exactly that hmm

Urmstongran Tue 25-Jun-19 10:56:10

Sorry. My friend lives there and I was just showing how they’ve chosen to pare down taxpayers expenditure to fund their (more modern) RF!

Anja Tue 25-Jun-19 10:56:40

And what ‘Sir’ would you replace them with that would cost less?

gillybob Tue 25-Jun-19 10:58:48

Listening to the BBC news in the car on my way back to work, it is reported that this refurbishment has cost “us”(the tax payers ) over £2.5 million . To say I am disgusted is a huge understatement and they should hang their heads in shame the bloody lot of them . Claiming to do charity work and then taking from some of the poorest in society. What else could £2.5 million have done ? They’re a bunch of greedy, self centred, pumped up celebrity hypocrites and that’s the calm version of what I really think of them .

Anja Tue 25-Jun-19 10:59:10

Trump costs

SirChenjin Tue 25-Jun-19 10:59:31

Well 'An', a pared down version perhaps?

Anja Tue 25-Jun-19 10:59:56

So what would you replace them with gillybob?!

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 11:01:41

Anne works hard too - in fact, it is the demand for their patronage, their input to charities, etc, that gives many of these the publicity they need and highlights the work these charities do.

I saw Anne at Christmas, she had three engagements that day, all some distance apart.

Anja Tue 25-Jun-19 11:02:00

Name them!

Anja Tue 25-Jun-19 11:02:35

That to Si ?

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 11:03:37

I can't establish a 'secure connection' to Trump.
That is very worrying!

gillybob Tue 25-Jun-19 11:05:31

Ideally nothing at all Anja but at the very worst a paired down rf . The monarch , his /her spouse . That’s it .

EllanVannin Tue 25-Jun-19 11:05:49

I wish every UK citizen would give me 69p every year.

gillybob Tue 25-Jun-19 11:06:42

What’s the point of giving time to a charity and then taking £millions from the ordinary person in the street? Twisted logic .

SirChenjin Tue 25-Jun-19 11:08:04

Was that aimed at me Anya? If so, there's a thing called Google which provide you with alternative models if you're interested - I suggest you use it.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 25-Jun-19 11:09:03

Stella1949 if I am wrong I apologise my information came from Paul Burrell.

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 11:09:58

[sigh]
The money for the refurbishment has come out of the money already allocated for all refurbishments of properties owned by the Crown Estate, not by Meghan and Harry themselves.
This money is not over and above that amount.

Although not a fervent Royalist, I can appreciate the input most (not all) of the RF has and think their costs are relatively low for the office of a Head of State and all the demands for patronage that ensue.

gillybob Tue 25-Jun-19 11:11:12

Not sure where this .69p per person comes from either? I think it’s at least double that .

www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1144814/queen-elizabeth-ii-news-meghan-markle-kate-middleton-taxpayer-cost-royal-family-latest/amp

Anja Tue 25-Jun-19 11:11:28

But it’s you that’s up in arms not me, I’m not looking for new models.

Don’t you just love people who ‘suggest’ you do things