Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can a seven year old be a 'social power'?

(63 Posts)
trisher Tue 25-Jun-19 19:01:35

Harper Beckham has come fourth in the Tatler Social Power Index. She apparently "Jets between the LA, London and the Cotswolds.". I don't think any 7 year old should be lauded like this and I certainly wouldn't want it for my GD. It seems to me to be a form of child cruelty to drag a child to social events when they should be digging holes, learning to skip and chasing around.
www.standard.co.uk/insider/royalssociety/tatler-social-power-list-reveals-the-cambridges-are-more-popular-than-the-beckhams-and-sussexes-a4174831.html

Urmstongran Wed 26-Jun-19 08:44:38

Another daft promotion for Brand Beckham.

Did anyone else read yesterday the fact that Brooklyn has been paid a huge sum of money to promote the fancy BMW he’s been asked to drive? He made a hash of the wording silly 20y old boy. Rich people are just given expensive toys. Such is celebrity life I suppose.

What’s that saying ‘money goes to money’?

Lxrl Wed 26-Jun-19 09:53:37

Saw a post the other day about "babies with bling", where celebrities have bought their infant children $40K+ watches and bracelets! Very silly, to me. To each their own I suppose but I for one am very glad I spent my childhood in dungarees and trees, not diamonds and private jets!

Blinko Wed 26-Jun-19 10:06:35

Without the ever present media to tout these stories, these celebs would be nowhere. The people who rad this drivel (Tatler, Hello, OK, et al) must be short on interest in their own lives.

Blinko Wed 26-Jun-19 10:06:48

Rad - read..

maxdecatt Wed 26-Jun-19 10:15:13

David Bechham has less brains than a tadpole. The power in that "family" is Victoria. She fancies herself as a fashion icon and treats her children as commodities to be used as props. What she says goes. I see he has a couple more tatoos. That alone should tell you that he is narcissistic and brainless. Imagine him at 70, a wrinkled old canvas. All the tats will be blurred, unreadable unless you stretch him out. I guess his 70 year old body could become a game. "Guess what we see if we stretch this arm or this leg?"

Gonegirl Wed 26-Jun-19 10:18:09

To be fair, I think the Beckham children are being brought very well in everyday life.

I don't believe that David Beckham is brainless. Not at all. And I think Victoria is a good mother.

Gonegirl Wed 26-Jun-19 10:20:00

The girl didn't ask to be included in the ridiculous Tatler list.

sodapop Wed 26-Jun-19 10:20:26

Think you may be the minority opinion there Gonegirl

Gonegirl Wed 26-Jun-19 10:26:38

Yep. Sure I am. What's new?

goldengirl Wed 26-Jun-19 10:35:24

Those 2 little girls on the Hugh and Anita plastics programme who are trying to get McDonalds to stop making plastic toys are REALLY doing something WORTHWHILE. In my view they knock spots off the Beckham brood.

merlotgran Wed 26-Jun-19 10:35:37

They live in a different world but appear to be a close and loving family. I suppose if you're awash with money you don't think twice about allowing your kids to jet around the world and appear in glossy magazines.

Will the older ones develop a social conscience seeing as a lot of their income is derived from fashion and other consumables?

Hmmm! hmm

BladeAnnie Wed 26-Jun-19 10:35:45

Is this a case of the world gone mad?? Ridiculous to say the very least - let children be children.

Aepgirl Wed 26-Jun-19 11:02:43

This child should be a ‘child’ not a fashion statement. Perhaps she could get her mother to smile occasionally!

Tillybelle Wed 26-Jun-19 12:05:18

What is "Social Power" and who is "Harper Beckham"?

MaggieMay69 Wed 26-Jun-19 12:23:06

I will never forget my DD telling me about a girl at the school she was working at about two years ago, she had started self harm, it was minor luckily and they nipped it in the bud, but the reason she gave was because she would never ever be a famous child, no-one would like her on Instagram like the Kardashians, and her life would be perfect if she had celeb parents who would get her 'likes'. and she wasn't alone.
So many youngsters don't want jobs, they want to be influencers on instagram, getting thousands for sweet fanny adams. Its sad.

Paperbackwriter Wed 26-Jun-19 12:30:57

So the parents have 3 homes. Is this a problem for anyone here? Really? Can we stop criticising others for how they live? My daughters were at school with the Jagger children. On paper they would also have looked as if they were 'jetting' between several homes but in reality they simply went to school like everyone else. In the holidays they went elsewhere, like other people do (only to their own homes, not rentals or hotels!)

Sheilasue Wed 26-Jun-19 13:22:34

I don’t think any of that family leads a normal life.
The oldest boy doesn’t work has done a photography course but was homesick. I can understand in some ways the parents are concerned for their safety, but they need to have
Something to do in their lives. They are extremely wealthy but so is sting and his wife and there children have always had to build their own lives.

Callistemon Wed 26-Jun-19 13:41:13

Sting is completely the opposite, mean old man.

Callistemon Wed 26-Jun-19 13:43:07

I intend to ask 7 year old DGD (herself a 'human dynamo') what she thinks of Harper Beckham.
If she asks 'who' I will be very relieved.

merlotgran Wed 26-Jun-19 13:43:16

Harper Beckham always looks happy. She is clearly adored by her older brothers and photos of her riding her pony show how much she is enjoying life.

I would imagine all her jetting about takes place in the school holidays just like any other kids with mega rich parents.

This social power index is daft but I should think Harper's influence does wonders for the kids' fashion industry.

Callistemon Wed 26-Jun-19 13:44:32

Yes, she is probably completely unaware that she is a 'social power'!

Mapleleaf Wed 26-Jun-19 14:49:29

Tatlers list? Just stupid - there are far more important things going on in the world to write about than to waste print a on producing such a useless list. Just who’s ego is being massaged?

Mapleleaf Wed 26-Jun-19 14:58:00

Oops, “whose” not “who’s”!

sarahellenwhitney Wed 26-Jun-19 19:53:00

Callistemon
Quote '.leads a relatively normal day' ?
I do not believe Harper will ever know' normal'.
This will also apply to many other children who have million/billionaire parents.

Day6 Wed 26-Jun-19 20:08:08

Cant abide people who use their children in this way ,Posh and Becks have been doing his since their first was born

I agree paddyann I dislike the Beckhams who use photos of their children and their activities to keep themselves in the news. Their children are famous for doing what exactly?

I always see Posh Spice as a social climber of the very worse sort. They seem desperate not to lose the limelight. They also seem to have a need for people to see the Beckham family as some sort of royal family with elevated status.. They may have money but they lack class and I imagine their fast growing children, who now trade on their names, are despised in many professional circles.