Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can a seven year old be a 'social power'?

(63 Posts)
trisher Tue 25-Jun-19 19:01:35

Harper Beckham has come fourth in the Tatler Social Power Index. She apparently "Jets between the LA, London and the Cotswolds.". I don't think any 7 year old should be lauded like this and I certainly wouldn't want it for my GD. It seems to me to be a form of child cruelty to drag a child to social events when they should be digging holes, learning to skip and chasing around.
www.standard.co.uk/insider/royalssociety/tatler-social-power-list-reveals-the-cambridges-are-more-popular-than-the-beckhams-and-sussexes-a4174831.html

Callistemon Wed 26-Jun-19 20:30:33

sarahellenwhitney
I'm not so sure - she will be going to school like other 7 year olds, going on holiday like many other children her age; they may be wealthy but I expect she plays football with her Dad (like many other girls), plays with her brothers - it's all much the same for well-cared for children, rich or poor.
She will notice when she's older, of course.

Callistemon Wed 26-Jun-19 20:32:12

I must say, she looks like a rather nice little girl.
Let's hope she doesn't change.

Glammy57 Wed 26-Jun-19 20:37:42

We have become such a shallow society. I would like to hear about the Beckham children doing some voluntary work - spoilt, rich kids!

Margs Thu 27-Jun-19 11:21:55

But the Beckhams aren't a family - they're a Brand!

Corporate consumerism trying to masquerade as the Waltons.......

merlotgran Thu 27-Jun-19 21:29:58

Lovely shots of Harper with her dad at the England v Norway match tonight.

As I've said upthread, she always looks like a happy little girl.

merlotgran Thu 27-Jun-19 21:30:31

And Margs, I think your comment is cruel.

trisher Thu 27-Jun-19 22:10:15

So they jetted to France for the football. Shouldn't she be at school anyway? I just wonder if she will one day turn into an eco-warrior and castigateher parents for their lifestyle.

merlotgran Thu 27-Jun-19 22:12:42

She might decide on a career in football and encourage other young girls to follow their dream.

On the other hand she might turn into an eco-warrior.

It's her life.

Callistemon Thu 27-Jun-19 23:04:02

I would like to hear about the Beckham children doing some voluntary work - spoilt, rich kids!
She's 7!
Do you want her to go and cook in a soup kitchen?

Callistemon Thu 27-Jun-19 23:06:01

and thousands of people have 'jetted over' to watch the football.
I expect it's worth a £60 fine to see that although if she's at a private school, they probably won't be fined. Relatives living overseas are astonished by the fines imposed here!

Well done to the England team!

paddyann Thu 27-Jun-19 23:07:46

Hi* Merlot* hope you and the family are all doing OK ,early days I know .Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you all.

merlotgran Thu 27-Jun-19 23:10:46

Thank you, paddyann. Up and down but we're mostly doing OK. Kind of you to ask.