Gransnet forums

News & politics

Lib Dems Leadership

(229 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 01-Jul-19 10:22:34

Please not Jo Swindon , she seems to be constantly in a state
of hysteria and she shouts

paddyann Tue 23-Jul-19 12:03:17

BUT while we're on the subject what IS the "good reason"that English MP's get to vote on SCOTTISH matters that dont affect them?85% of MP's are English so the Scottish MP's of all shades have no hope in hell of being heard

varian Tue 23-Jul-19 12:44:40

All UK MPs get to vote on everything that affects the whole country.

One of the things that I do agree with the SNP on is, the need for proportional representation. The Scottish parliament is more democratically elected than the HOC.

Because of our undemocratic FPTP electoral system the SNP is over-represented in the HOC and the Liberal Democrats, who get far more votes, are disgracefully under-represented.

paddyann Tue 23-Jul-19 14:01:43

no your wrong Scottish MP's DONT get a vote on anything that's English or welsh even when the result will have an effect on Scotland .I would go check your source of facts .

GracesGranMK3 Tue 23-Jul-19 14:27:04

Scottish MPs are barred from voting on Bills which only affect England or Wales or elements of Bills that do so. Perhaps you could give a link if this is incorrect.

We need and English parliament rather than one that sees itself as both English and UK which patently treats the countries unequally.

POGS Tue 23-Jul-19 15:29:06

Paddyann

You really hate the initiation of EVEL/English Votes for English Laws don't you.

English/Welsh/Northern Ireland MP's do not have a vote on any ' devolved ' matters in Scotland. You never complain about that.

Perhaps to stop the 4 nations having separate votes ''devolution ' should be scrapped altogether or alternatively England should be given it's own ' devolved ' government to create parity with Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland.

Parity is not what you believe in though is it?

You want an Independent Scotland and nothing else will do.

That is a perfectly acceptable position to have.

In the mean time to expect / believe Scotland should vote in all matters concerning only Scotland but Scottish MP's should have a right to vote over matters concerning England only is nothing short of showing distain that the English deserve the same rights as the Scottish.

Jabberwok Tue 23-Jul-19 15:55:42

Independence? Bring it on! No more whining from Scotland and NI rejoined with the South!! Happy Happy days!!

POGS Tue 23-Jul-19 16:09:59

Jabberwok

Don't generalise many are not on the same page.

Jabberwok Wed 24-Jul-19 14:52:24

Probably not, that's their choice! If the majority of Scots want independence then so be it! Same with Wales and N1!
Why would we need to shed tears over it?!

varian Wed 24-Jul-19 18:16:07

What a brilliant exchange betwee Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson and outgoing PM Theresa May.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-49096984/pmqs-may-and-swinson-on-female-party-political-leaders

GracesGranMK3 Wed 24-Jul-19 18:58:14

It was very human from two very clever women Varian. Whether clever in the right way I think one has shown 'no' and the other is unknown but it was good to watch.

jura2 Thu 25-Jul-19 10:50:10

Jo is not going off on her jolies - oh no. She is moving fast, seeking alliance with LP to go for No Confidence - bravo, that's the way to do it Jo smile

GrannyGravy13 Thu 25-Jul-19 10:57:14

Jo Swinson along with Caroline Lucas have gone on record saying........... If there is a second referendum and the vote was for leave that neither them or their parties would support/recognise it.

So much for the "Democratic" part of Liberal Democrats!!!!!!

GracesGranMK3 Thu 25-Jul-19 11:02:10

Why is that anti-democratic GrannyGravy? Do you see us now in a country where no party or MP may disagree with the great leader?

MaizieD Thu 25-Jul-19 11:11:05

Democracy includes the right to oppose, GG13. Some people have been opposing the result of the 1975 referendum ever since 1975. Were they 'undemocratic'?

jura2 Thu 25-Jul-19 11:13:52

It is 'funny' really, that so many people talk about the need for 'compromise' - but totally dismiss it when it is attempted.

The UK has been for a very long time, a two main Parties confrontational system of politics- this is not the case in many other countries- like the one where I live currently, which requires all parties nominated to be part of the Government, and where compromise and cooperation is the Modus Operandi by definition.

POGS Thu 25-Jul-19 11:42:20

GG MK3

Re Lib Dems position of ' never' accepting a ' Leave ' vote, no matter how many times it is democratically put to the people.

We have had 3 years of the Lib Dems wanting a 2nd Referendum. They, like others, never accepted the Referendum result from the moment it was announced.

They wanted a second Referendum stating it should be put back to the people now they know the detail and not rely on the lies told them.

Yet, if there were a 2nd Referendum/Peoples Vote call it what you will why is is it not ' undemocratic ' to ignore the result the first time and the second/third/fourth goodness knows how many times until the result goes your way and guess what, it will then be a democratic vote that ' must' be accepted.

jura2 Thu 25-Jul-19 14:34:22

Annie 'too excitable and too loud.'

oh my - have you been watching Boris's first day in the Commons - gesturing madly, shouting, screaming, red in the face- abuse and personal attacks- to hide his lack of answers.
Did you find him not 'too excitable and too loud.' ???

jura2 Thu 25-Jul-19 14:38:59

Pogs, again, and again - we are not asking for a second Referendum - but for a First Referendum on the current 'Deal' or lack of, with the current information we now have to hand- which we never had at the time of the First one.

And this especially in a No Deal situation- as No Deal was never ever in any way, shape, or form - part of the campaign. People voted with the promise of a 'Great Deal' - the best and easiest ever. So forcing us into a corner and No Deal, would be, 100% undemocratic and a (another) massive lie and breach of Democracy.

jura2 Thu 25-Jul-19 14:39:39

Show me one piece, just one piece- of evidence of campaigning on No Deal during the campaign.

Anniebach Thu 25-Jul-19 14:40:23

jura, no I didn’t watch this morning. My comment of
‘Too excitable and too loud’ was reference to the thread topic.

jura2 Thu 25-Jul-19 14:56:26

oh no it wasn't

your words 'Please not Jo Swindon , she seems to be constantly in a state of hysteria and she shouts'

Anniebach Thu 25-Jul-19 15:07:40

Thread title Libs Dem Leadership

My post

‘Please not Jo Swindon, she seems to be constantly in a state
of hysteria and shouts’

Not a reference to thread topic ?

Barmeyoldbat Thu 25-Jul-19 15:07:57

Far to hot to think and write BUT I do know that in the next general election I shall be voting Lib Dem and I am happy to Jo as leader.

growstuff Thu 25-Jul-19 15:11:02

The majority of people in Northern Ireland don't want to become part of a united Ireland. I'm puzzled that anybody who presumably lived through the "troubles" doesn't know that. The GFA was a stroke of political genius, which Brexit threatens to destroy.

Iam64 Thu 25-Jul-19 15:20:54

growstuff, I think the last public vote on whether Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland should become a united country was in the early 1970'. The republican paramilitaries responded by planting car bombs. Until the GFA paramilitary groups from the republican and unionist sides waged war against each other and the British government. They were to all intents and purposes criminal gangs, who meted out serious violence to anyone who got in their way.

The vote in the early 70's confirmed that a republic wasn't what the majority wanted. The paramilitaries are rumbling again, we can only hope that Brexit doesn't destroy the (relative)peace.