Gransnet forums

News & politics

Inheritance tax

(193 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Tue 02-Jul-19 11:09:01

What do other GNs think of John McDonnell's plans for Inheritance Tax. Basically, as I understand it, a parent can only gift or leave a total of £125,000 to a child, any monetary gifts given during your lifetime would be counted towards that £125,000.

Callistemon Fri 05-Jul-19 22:56:09

All of Westminster's domestic properties are in Band H (valued at over £320,00) properties and paying £1508. I have just been on Rightmove. After excluding the parking spaces, houseboats, hotel rooms and shared ownership properties the cheapest property I could find, a 1 bedroomed flat, was £485,000, which would put it in Band H. Public sector housing accounted for less than 20% of the housing stock

How many Band H properties in Gateshead? Of 32 pages of property advertised for sale in Gateshead, one and a half pages were in Band H. 7 pages were Band D and under. A third of all properties are in the public sector so likely to be in lower tax bands and will not appear on Rightmove.

It is still not a fair system, though. To have such a discrepancy between the level of council tax for the same bands in the same country is wrong.
I am not sure what the council tax on a Band H property in Gateshead would be, if the charge on a Band D property is more than that on a Band H in, for example, Westminster.

suziewoozie Fri 05-Jul-19 23:32:06

Is it me or is there a misunderstanding on here about how council tax bands operate? Your house is put in the band based on what the house was worth on 1 April 1991 not what it is worth now. That’s one of the issues around council tax - there haven’t been revaluations of house valuations and the number of bands haven’t increased.

Callistemon Sat 06-Jul-19 10:14:51

Our house was re-valued for council tax purposes in 2003 - how come yours has not been re-valued since 1991?

Keeper1 Sat 06-Jul-19 10:22:17

If someone has worked hard all their life to save money why should that be taken away from them. There will be an awful lot of ordinary people caught up in this. It will not be the super wealthy as they have the funds to protect what they have.

suziewoozie Sat 06-Jul-19 10:26:42

Callistemon - when your house was revalued in 2003 had you had some improvementsc done?

Callistemon Sat 06-Jul-19 10:27:41

No, suziewoozie, all houses were revalued.
Perhaps it did not happen in England then?

lemongrove Sat 06-Jul-19 10:32:46

suzie if you sell up and buy another house ( as we did a few years ago) it was revalued as it had been extended.
You can add to your house and not pay more in CT, but when you sell it, they revalue.

suziewoozie Sat 06-Jul-19 10:38:53

Sorry Call, I didn’t think about you not being in England.

Callistemon Sat 06-Jul-19 10:40:11

I assumed it had happened all over the country, I wonder why not?

Never assume anything.

suziewoozie Sat 06-Jul-19 10:42:04

Thanks lemon - yes that’s true - but it’s still valued as what it would have been worth in 1991 if it had had the extension then. It’s crazy isn’t it because if you stay in it, it isn’t revalued. I think council tax reform is like social care - no government of any colour dares go near reforming either when the chips are down.

suziewoozie Sat 06-Jul-19 10:42:24

Call you and me both

Callistemon Sat 06-Jul-19 10:46:23

I meant me - it's what my friend always says!

suziewoozie Sat 06-Jul-19 10:47:17

Well I never knew that about Wales ( just googled ) they also added an extra band I.

gillybob Sat 06-Jul-19 10:58:13

Long story short .... My ( then) new build 2 bedroom terrace was re banded in 2011 ( as were all new builds) we were told that older properties would follow . Then it was cancelled and we were stuck in a band much higher than the value of our house could ever have been in 1991 !

gillybob Sat 06-Jul-19 10:59:13

It was cancelled for all but new builds Calli .

Callistemon Sat 06-Jul-19 11:04:41

Oh! Not very fair, gillybob

suziewoozie Sat 06-Jul-19 11:38:08

Gilly have you the time or inclination to appeal against your valuation? My sister did this and went down a band and it was backdated but I can’t remember for how many years. It was a tidy sum