Gransnet forums

News & politics

Fox Hunting

(130 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 04-Jul-19 12:07:13

Jeremy Hunt has announced today that he will hold a free vote on repealing foxhunting. Does anybody approve of this?

Anniebach Thu 04-Jul-19 12:12:42

No, no, no, x 1 million

Dinahmo Thu 04-Jul-19 12:30:42

Anniebach Agree completely

GrannyGravy13 Thu 04-Jul-19 12:31:44

Have had horses for the last 21 years, there are several hunts in the surrounding area, who now "hunt using man made scent" which I am not totally sure about as foxes can "inadvertently" get chased?

The whole of our yard is totally against fox hunting, and I could note vote for any government which intended to rescind the ban.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 04-Jul-19 12:32:27

Oops sorry meant "I could not vote for"

Septimia Thu 04-Jul-19 12:58:19

I read an article many years ago about the different ways of 'controlling' foxes. Most were as cruel as hunting, if not more so.
But times have changed. There are plenty of ways for farmers to protect their animals thanks to modern technology. There are also plenty of rabbits that need 'controlling' that the foxes can eat.
Foxhunting is outdated and cruel and should definitely not be reinstated.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 04-Jul-19 13:05:03

Landowners need to be held more accountable for what they are inflicting on our wildlife.

Golden Eagles as well as other raptors are victims of their ire as well as foxes.

ninathenana Thu 04-Jul-19 13:06:22

I'm 100% against fox hunting.

Septimia Thu 04-Jul-19 13:08:53

There was a lot of fuss here about red kites and comments about them taking lambs. Sheer ignorance. One of the people involved in re-introducing the kites told me that they mainly eat carrion and only weigh as much as a bag of sugar. Bit difficult for one of them to fly off with even a new-born lamb!

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jul-19 13:10:21

I can't remember whose quote it is (Oscar Wilde?)
"The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable".

EllanVannin Thu 04-Jul-19 13:10:34

Can't stand the bunch of hooray Henry's who go hunting, they're a horrible lot and typical of those who enjoy blood-sports.

GrandadShaggy Thu 04-Jul-19 13:11:29

Fox hunting never stood a chance after Basil Brush got popular.

100% against it.

EllanVannin Thu 04-Jul-19 13:12:44

I don't like pheasant-shooting either. Can't people live without pheasant ??

eazybee Thu 04-Jul-19 13:18:56

Can't stand the bunch of hooray Henry's who go hunting, they're a horrible lot and typical of those who enjoy blood-sports.

What an ignorant, prejudiced remark.

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jul-19 13:20:36

Sport is a competition between evenly matched opponents.
Fox hunting will never be a sport as far as I'm concerned.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 04-Jul-19 13:23:51

EllanVannin

Difference is what makes the human race!!

Prejudiced comments are hurtful.

EllanVannin Thu 04-Jul-19 13:34:56

Well they are so. Why, do you support foxhunting ? You have to be a certain type to kill animals in such a way don't you ? Then they all boast about their success while quaffing their champagne.

merlotgran Thu 04-Jul-19 13:36:39

Have you actually been on a fox hunt, Ellan Vannin?

EllanVannin Thu 04-Jul-19 13:43:28

I wouldn't go near one merlotgran. Though I did see a bunch of them when I was in Berkshire once.

SirChenjin Thu 04-Jul-19 14:00:29

Of course he would say that - he’s appealing to a certain type of voter in the leadership contest. It wouldn’t get through Parliament though, not in a million years.

Jabberwok Thu 04-Jul-19 14:04:30

You can certainly live without pheasant, but then you can live without Lamb, Pork, (particularly intensively farmed, ??) Beef , Veal (yuck), in fact all animals reared to be slaughtered. At least the pheasants fly freely and are not subjected to the (slaughter) house! Now there's a by word for cruelty!!
As for Fox hunting? I'm totally on the fence about it as there are two or more points of view. One thing is for sure, it is NOT only Hooray Henry's that support Fox hunting! If it were it would not survive owing to lack of numbers!! Many many ordinary folk follow it , many ordinary people ride with it, the numbers prove that!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 04-Jul-19 14:10:47

EllanVannin

I have been attending “horse events” for the last 20 + years.

My husband and sons shoot (clays)

I assume that you have been to a “shooting” party or a post hunt dinner to witness what you have posted?

In actuality what you describe sounds like a scene from a Z list movie.

I am anti hunting.

Dee1012 Thu 04-Jul-19 14:18:55

I absolutely abhor fox hunting...the desire to chase and then kill an animal is to me, indicative of something seriously wrong in a person.
It's not fun, it's not a sport it's cruel.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 04-Jul-19 14:19:10

Jabberwok Hunting and shooting provide employment for a lot of people in rural areas.

Gunsmiths, grounds men, feed stores, kennel maids/boys, farriers and saddlery. People complain about falling employment in rural areas at the same time they want to change the country way of life.

nonnasusie Thu 04-Jul-19 15:06:02

Our friends had all their hens killed by a fox. It wasn't a pretty sight and only one was taken away. They were in a compound with a 6ft. fence! Trouble is people feed them and they become urban foxes and are then released in the countryside. They are multiplying and it's the fault of humans! They are not the cuddly creatures they appear but are killing machines!!