Gransnet forums

News & politics

I despise Yaxley Lennon

(185 Posts)
Lessismore Sat 06-Jul-19 15:26:13

and all he stands for. I seriously cannot believe there are genuine people on this forum who appear to think otherwise.

maddyone Mon 15-Jul-19 10:58:45

‘*I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.*
Voltaire said this I believe.

Free speech is very precious. We can disagree with what a person says, but we should value their right to say it.

Tommy Robinson is now in prison, not for spouting his vile views, but because he was in contempt of court.

Johno Mon 15-Jul-19 11:02:11

maddyone.... there has never, ever been an occurrence whereby a person has been sentenced to a term of imprisonment for civil contempt of court. Not ever in the history of UK. If that does not tell yo TR has been stitched up I dont know what will.

Johno Mon 15-Jul-19 11:05:19

Giitt 57.... I do not want, neither do I seek approval from anyone. But I do note your tolerance and nice attitude. Have I hit a nerve? It is a proven fact when people attack you personally they have lost the argument. I never attack a person on the internet - except in a response.

Johno Mon 15-Jul-19 11:12:10

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

EllanVannin Mon 15-Jul-19 11:18:30

TR's imprisonment is political----the same as Jeremy Bamber's 33 years stitch-up by the Essex police ! Sickening.

Johno Mon 15-Jul-19 11:19:24

Just have a look at all of you who dish out personal insults. Please take time to look?? Are you real people of a senior age with experience of life?? You would never know from your vile personal insults towards me just because I have a different viewpoint. Disgusting, shocking - but not a surprise. God help Britain if those of you on here dishing put personal insults are anything to go by. Oh, the penny has dropped.. you totally accept 100% anything the BBC says. Got it. When I see Fig trees I am never surprised they produce Figs. Some of you are still tied up in Platos "Cave" from Platos Forms.

EllanVannin Mon 15-Jul-19 11:22:32

Johno, are you an ex/retired cop ?

Johno Mon 15-Jul-19 11:24:55

I dont want anyone banned NOT AT ALL. I totally value freedom of expression. I am never offended but will argue/debate a point. The fact a person on here, sounding holier than thou, wants to totally ban anyone, who THEY subjectively, disapprove, is a marker on British society today and why it is going down the pan fast. THis person even begs Gransnet to do something - ban people!!! It is beyong comprehension.

Johno Mon 15-Jul-19 11:34:25

EllanVannin .. I do not just like Paul Robeson I literally tell my children and grandchildren all about him because I value integrity above all else and Robeson was one outstanding man. He spoke of 20 languages fluently, for a start. The Welsh people revere him and have never forgotten him for standing with them (hard working Miners) no matter what the threat to himself. I learned of Robeson just 15 years ago, because he is blanked out of mainstream US as they rated him a communist. He was a boxer - actor, Shakesperian - singer - Top US footballer - political activist - writer - and above all as brave a man any one could name. When asked "why do you like Russia Mr Robeson"? He replied; No person in Russia ever called me NIGGER". He spoke fluent Russian. I done revere people because of the numbers game. If 2 billion people loved Churchill - it would not make any difference to me, I dont like churchill. I also do not object to others liking whomever they choose - you will not see a snide personal insult from me.

GillT57 Mon 15-Jul-19 11:49:27

Johno as usual, you chose to misinterpret most posts. I never said or implied any criticism of your previous employment, with many family members in the Police force I would never do so. What I said was that as someone with the background you claim, you must know understand why TR was jailed. Your comments about Paul Robeson, admirable person though he was, have nothing to do with this discussion. I do however agree with you about Churchill, he was no hero to anyone with miners in their family as I was. Your comment
^So your behaving like a moronic pillock, bigot I will respect as being exactly how you are in the real world^
is so deeply offensive, it says much about your contemptuous attitude to the members of this forum. You should be ashamed of yourself, but I don't suppose you are

EllanVannin Mon 15-Jul-19 11:50:47

Don't worry Johno, I was lambasted on a crime forum for supporting a " murderer " !

Eric Allison from the Guardian supports the same man as he spent time in the next cell to him and garnered much information and an interview with the said prisoner.

My mum didn't like Churchill saying he was a warmonger.

Anyway, I'd say you were quite entitled to have your say though you will encounter a lot of bitterness and hatred among opponents it's par for the course when it's been indoctrinated into many that racism ( whatever that maybe ) and homophobia is zoomed in at. I've been accused of both but couldn't give a toss as I refuse to conform or be brainwashed in any way.
I take people as they are whatever colour/creed/religion/ or gender and if they're civil with me that's fine but don't ram your personal hangups down my throat.

Lessismore Mon 15-Jul-19 12:20:18

No person in Russia ever called me NIGGER

How fascinating , something like the famous quotation assigned to Mohammed Ali.

"Man, I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong. No Viet Cong ever called me nigger."

Firecracker123 Mon 15-Jul-19 12:24:03

You're said the N word lol the GN post police will be on it like a ton of bricks ?

Firecracker123 Mon 15-Jul-19 12:25:34

TYPO You've not you're lol the grammar police will pick that up ?

Lessismore Mon 15-Jul-19 12:27:45

I was quoting Johno who was apparently quoting Paul Robeson.

It is not a word I would use.

maddyone Mon 15-Jul-19 12:33:27

I apologise if I’m wrong, but I genuinely thought TR had been jailed for contempt of court. Can anyone help me out? Why was he jailed?

Johno Mon 15-Jul-19 12:37:06

It is NOT illegal or wrong to quote a word which is from the historical factual record. I would never use that word loosely to make a point.

Johno Mon 15-Jul-19 12:42:44

maddyone - he was jailed for civil contempt of court. The first person ever in British history. Single judge, no jury. Contempt is a prima facia offence and does not require a trial. The Attorney General - the highest lawyer in the land - ruled that the judge acted too expediently. Of course, that's what you do when you want a maverick in prison. Unless of course, it is a politician pedophile.

maddyone Mon 15-Jul-19 12:44:33

No, looked it up from Mr Google. TR was jailed for contempt of court!

Johno Mon 15-Jul-19 12:48:02

EllanVannin.... I totally agree. I function in the same modus. I let the sheep follow each other. I aint worried, heaven forfend, I am very confident and proud my poor working class Irish parents raised me to be a free thinker. Ps: I was a Manager of LIfe Sentence prisoners with the MOJ and have sat on hundreds of parole boards for LIfers. I have met Myra Hindley... just throw that in, although she was obviously evil. ..PPS: any disbelievers GILLT57 .. please append your slimy insults at the bottom of the forum. Thankyou.

GillT57 Mon 15-Jul-19 13:07:56

Back off Johno. You are rude, offensive and although we have debates on here, sometimes heated, calling me a moron and a pillock is unacceptable. Thank you

Bridgeit Mon 15-Jul-19 13:22:59

GN HQ, can you please answer Anja’s Concerns

EllanVannin Mon 15-Jul-19 13:24:06

Have you ever met/spoken with Eric Allison of the Guardian newspaper, Johno ?

I hope you weren't part of the useless CCRC !

MaizieD Mon 15-Jul-19 13:28:48

Jeez! And I got warned by Gnet for calling someone's statement 'stupid'

Incidentally, I was acquainted with a number of prison officers a few years ago. Not nice people, Hard right hard b*stards most of them...

(Apologies if anyone reading this has a delightful, kind, emphatic and caring relative who's a prison officer)

maddyone Mon 15-Jul-19 13:32:27

Gill is right, it is both rude and offensive to call her, or anyone else, a moron and/or a pillock. It is okay to disagree, it is not okay to be rude.