Gransnet forums

News & politics

Leaked e-mails and Farage as replacement?

(170 Posts)
trisher Mon 08-Jul-19 10:22:21

The leaked e-mails from the British Ambassador criticising Trump have hit the headlines. There is some speculation that this is a put-up job and the aim is to get Nigel as the next Ambassador. Personally I can't think of anything more disastrous, or many people less suitable. No doubt him and Trump would be best mates but should that be the position of a British Ambassador? And can you think of anyone worse than Farage?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 08-Jul-19 15:16:34

Oakshott is totally friendly with Farage

Urmstongran Mon 08-Jul-19 15:23:34

Mind you Simon Jenkins has a piece today in the Graun:

“The UK ambassador was a fool to put his unvarnished opinions in writing and think they would be kept secret”

suziewoozie Mon 08-Jul-19 15:24:12

Eazybee - that’s a really interesting point you’ve raised re Oakeshott ( and it applies to other journalists). I wonder if we too easily buy into this ‘protecting their sources’ when sometimes ( not always of course) it just encourages this type of behaviour.

Urmstongran Mon 08-Jul-19 15:25:49

This made me laugh:

‘First find your leaker. If it is someone low down they will go to jail, if it is someone high up they will be told not to be a naughty boy and if it is a Government minister he or she will be promoted.’
?

Jane10 Mon 08-Jul-19 16:14:57

I think Elegran has hit the nail on the head. Who else but Putin would enjoy stirring up such trouble?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 08-Jul-19 16:21:19

Someone who might gain from it?

Dinahmo Mon 08-Jul-19 16:42:34

There is an interesting article on politics.co.uk today about the leaks and Oakeshott's connections to Arron Banks, Farage and Leave UK.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 08-Jul-19 16:54:31

Yes she’s always implicated with that crew. That’s why if the BBC haven’t got Farage droning on they have Oakshott.

Elegran Mon 08-Jul-19 17:01:11

Putin stands to gain.
This article is more than two years old, but it rings true. Article in "Politico"

( "POLITICO, a global nonpartisan politics and policy news organization, launched in Europe in April 2015. POLITICO Europe is a joint-venture between POLITICO LLC, based in the USA and Axel Springer, the leading publisher in Europe." from their "About us" page)

maddyone Mon 08-Jul-19 17:07:49

Don’t people have to have some sort of training before they become an ambassador? I quite like Farage but I don’t think he’s suitable for this post.

Davidhs Mon 08-Jul-19 17:29:04

Farage, I think not. However the email should have been written in much more diplomatic terms, the foreign office has a certain opinion of Trump and a graphic opinion from the ambassador was not needed, he should be replaced.

As for who leaked the email, that could be anyone, a hacker or even the CIA. Why use an email rather than an encrypted message

Jane10 Mon 08-Jul-19 18:18:17

Ambassadors are expected to provide explicit details of their opinions. It's their job.
He's a long established diplomat. The only people who should be sacked are the leakers and/or hackers.

Urmstongran Mon 08-Jul-19 19:18:09

As Her Britannic Majesty's Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to the United States (to give the UK’s ambassador to America its full title), Sir Kim Darroch is meant to get on with the President.

He has boasted proudly of having met him as many as eight times, telling the Financial Times he had "always found him to be absolutely charming".

The President did not return the warmth today, telling journalists that "we are not big fans of that man”, which is understandable given that he now knows the ambassador privately thinks he “radiates insecurity”.

I imagine it will be a bit awkward going forward ....

MaizieD Mon 08-Jul-19 19:41:19

He has boasted proudly of having met him as many as eight times,

Where has he 'boasted proudly'? Telling the FT that he has always found DT to be 'charming' is not exactly proud boasting. Or did he say "I'm proud to have met him eight times and found him charming"? I think we should be told..

Jane10 Mon 08-Jul-19 19:47:26

What the ambassador tells a national newspaper and what he puts in an intelligence email will be two completely different things!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 08-Jul-19 20:02:13

Blimey it seems to be all coming together just as predicted. Trump - friend of Farage and Johnson has just said he will not deal with the British ambassador

Cue - bring on Farage on 23 rd July.

MaizieD Mon 08-Jul-19 20:05:17

Isn't that an insult to Britain?

Anyway, even if he is recalled he doesn't have to be replaced by Farage,; who is not even a member of the Diplomatic service. It would be highly irregular, surely?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 08-Jul-19 20:07:17

I don’t know maize I repeating the theory put out there by people like John Soper

maddyone Mon 08-Jul-19 22:57:28

There is no way Nigel Farage could be replace the British Ambassador, he’s not suitable, he’s not trained, and anyway he already has a job.
I think the British Ambassador must be recalled, Britain has no credibility as long as he is in post. It’s a difficult enough time politically and he can no longer can carry any authority. He now needs a different diplomatic post, and we need a new British Ambassador in America.
I hope that the leak culprit can be identified. It’s probable that a crime has been committed.

maddyone Mon 08-Jul-19 22:58:34

.....no way Nigel Farage could replace.......

lemongrove Mon 08-Jul-19 23:00:14

For once MaizieD I agree with you , and in fact it would be more than highly irregular, it won’t happen at all.
It will be somebody who is a member of the Diplomatic Service!
Perhaps nobody should put any faith in what theories John Soper is musing on.

lemongrove Mon 08-Jul-19 23:01:17

X posts maddy ? you got there before me.

Callistemon Mon 08-Jul-19 23:20:58

“The UK ambassador was a fool to put his unvarnished opinions in writing and think they would be kept secret”
That was my first thought Urmstongran

Farage surely could not become British Ambassador to anywhere. Surely as a politician who has strong connections to two political parties and a political agenda he is totally unsuitable.
A career diplomat is a civil servant and should remain impartial - unfortunately Kim Darroch erred in putting these views in an email, however true they may be.

Callistemon Mon 08-Jul-19 23:22:43

Ambassadors are expected to provide explicit details of their opinions. It's their job.
Have unsafe emails taken over from diplomatic bags?

MaizieD Mon 08-Jul-19 23:56:22

According to the Guardian they weren't emails, they were telegrams. Whatever they were, though, someone has broken the iron rule of confidentiality. The ambassador is not to blame for using a customary practice. The UK gets more and more like a corrupt banana republic every day. This is not behaviour we would expect of our public servants.