Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris v Hunt debate

(138 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 09-Jul-19 21:07:56

What did you think?

I thought it held together well.
And that Boris just edged it. But that could be because he’s popular.

Or that hearing yet again that Hunt is an entrepreneur is cringe worthy!

Iam64 Wed 17-Jul-19 20:41:30

I put Sky news on half an hour ago and found myself watching a question and answer session between Boris Johnson and a London audience.
It's no secret the I never have and never will vote Conservative. I see Boris Johnson as manipulative narcissistic chap, can be very charming and very entertaining which is how he's coming over right now. The audience is on its feet, cheering as he leaves the stage.

He'll be our next PM - oh dear!

Anniebach Wed 17-Jul-19 20:43:09

Same for me Iam

Iam64 Wed 17-Jul-19 21:03:54

I've drifted, I'm now watching Jeremy Hunt in the same format. He can't beat Boris Johnson I fear.

Iam64 Wed 17-Jul-19 21:04:58

Edit button - imagine that, me seeing Jeremy Hunt as least worst. that's what we've reached! He was a disaster in Health yet here I am, thinking he's not as bad as Boris Johnson.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 17-Jul-19 21:11:23

I’m hoping that the HoC will sort Johnson out. He isn’t popular with his own party, only the rather odd membership.

Iam64 Wed 17-Jul-19 21:45:18

Whitewave, he isn't popular with me either but even I can see he has the ability to make people laugh and is genius at playing an audience. Still, the HoC isn't an audience is it so let's hope your'e right and the HoC will sort him out.

Anniebach Wed 17-Jul-19 21:56:10

Thinking of PMQ, Corbyn v Johnson ? nightmare

Anniebach Wed 17-Jul-19 21:59:51

Thinking of it, Corbyn isn’t liked by his back benchers but can stir up a crowd, just like Johnson

Urmstongran Wed 17-Jul-19 22:43:17

Apparently at the final hustings tonight it seemed quite embarrassing as Boris was first up & when he’d finished, many of the audience we’re leaving before bothering g to listen to Hunt.

Popular opinion is that Boris has won this contest by a country mile.

Labaik Wed 17-Jul-19 22:47:56

Is that the event when he was waving a kipper around...

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jul-19 07:55:30

I can’t believe that there is a single person who honestly believes that Johnson is fit to lead the country.

What is our politics coming to, when we can even contemplate him as Prime Minister.

But the 23rd is coming and he will be Prime Minister, and I shall know for sure that the country has completely gone down the tube.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jul-19 08:02:04

Maybe just maybe, he won’t be able to obtain the confidence of the house?

BlueBelle Thu 18-Jul-19 08:37:12

Hunt Johnson Corbin all need totally binning send them to a desert island with farage and trump for company The whole bloody lot are a disgrace and ruining our once proud country

travelsafar Thu 18-Jul-19 08:40:25

Maybe we should just keep Theresa May????

Anniebach Thu 18-Jul-19 08:48:09

Agree BlueBelle

Labaik Thu 18-Jul-19 10:26:55

First I start to think that Thatcher wasn't too bad and now I'm thinking that I wish May was still PM....sad Talk about scraping the barrel...

GracesGranMK3 Thu 18-Jul-19 10:38:49

I have just been reading how the chattering classes expect Johnson to behave as PM. They offer "three versions of Nixon".

Version 1. Nixon goes to China.
When Nixon went to China in 1972 and a thaw in Chinese/USA relationships was observed, it was put about that only Nixon, as a fervent anti-communist, could achieve this. In the same way, Johnson's supporters are suggesting only he, as a lead in the Leave campaign, has the credibility to compromise the hardliner, no-deal Brexit position.

Version 2. Madman Theory
This was Nixon's supposed strategy re the Cold War. If he was seen as so unpredictable he might actually move to nuclear war, other leaders fearing the uncertainty would comply with his demands. Where Johnson is concerned he needs to seem so indifferent to the damage no deal would do that the EU would change or even remove the backstop.

Version 3. Scandal, failure and premature departure
I imagine you can work this out for yourselves. Either of the first two versions of Johnson could lead to this as could any idea of prorogation. I imagine even his greatest fans could see this as a possibility. Prorogation, on its own, could do more damage to the Tory brand than Black Wednesday did to its hard-won reputation (already in tatters with many once again) for economic competence.

This is my reading of the piece which is today's Brexit Blog chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/. It tells much more of the reasons these theories could rebound on the arch Brexiteers.

maddyone Thu 18-Jul-19 12:44:07

Just dropping in to say I’m losing the will to live with all this discussion, I’m surprised nobody else is too.

humptydumpty Thu 18-Jul-19 13:16:46

Iam64 "Edit button - imagine that, me seeing Jeremy Hunt as least worst. that's what we've reached!"

I so agree - can I really be supporting Hunt??|

varian Thu 18-Jul-19 13:20:41

Boris Johnson waved a kipper in the air and told a Tory crowd that it was scandalous that new EU regultions made it impossible to send a kipper through the post without an ice pack.

In fact this new regulation comes from the UK (Tory) government and has absolutely nothing to do with the EU.

Surprise, surprise- nobody challenged him. Why is he continually allowed to get away with anti-EU propaganda based on lies? He's no better than liar Farage.

pinkquartz Thu 18-Jul-19 13:28:14

Both are awful beyond belief.
If I wasn't older and ill I would definitely leave the country!!

We will have to see how this plays out but I don't trust either.
Hunt definitely wants to end the NHS based on his past behaviour as Health Minister.
Both of them are liars and neither knows how ordinary people live.

Greta Thu 18-Jul-19 13:33:26

varian: Why is he continually allowed to get away with anti-EU propaganda based on lies?

It is unbelievable. Kippers and Mars bars. The way he was raving and ranting like a lunatic scared me.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 18-Jul-19 15:19:01

The Isle of Man is not in the EU either. So we have a third country shipping into the UK complaining about rules made by our parliament which UK shippers have been glad to have because it limits the possibility of Listeria.

Johnson also made up the bendy bananas rule too. There never was one. The man is a liar.

suziewoozie Thu 18-Jul-19 15:22:37

So neither Johnson nor any of his advisers bothered to check the veracity of the kipper story but managed to organise having a kipper to wave around? Be afraid people be very afraid

HootyMcOwlface Thu 18-Jul-19 15:29:23

I remember the sharp intakes of breath that Teresa May made BJ Foreign Secretary. No one could believe she would trust that buffoon with such a responsible job. And indeed he made a mess of it and embarrassed the UK. Now it is totally unbelievable he looks to soon hold the post of PM. I think this is like a living nightmare! How can people be so gullible?