Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris v Hunt debate

(138 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 09-Jul-19 21:07:56

What did you think?

I thought it held together well.
And that Boris just edged it. But that could be because he’s popular.

Or that hearing yet again that Hunt is an entrepreneur is cringe worthy!

GillT57 Thu 18-Jul-19 15:54:09

I just read the news bulletin about the kippers, will there be a retraction do we think? Oh and Ian Duncan Smith has dismissed as fake news/project fear (tick as applicable) the statement by the OBR that the deficit will greatly increase given a no deal Brexit. The OBR was set up by Osborne while Duncan Smith was in the same cabinet. So even their own experts are being disbelieved. Bloody frightening times we live in when a known liar stands up and lies and gets cheered for it.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jul-19 16:26:49

The question is

Does he know he is wrong and simply lies to get a laugh.

Does he not know and is totally ignorant.

Personally I would go with both.

How soon will it be possible to get rid of him?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jul-19 16:50:56

Twitter on Johnson

Jesus Christ just look at this ridiculous, ranting, blathering arsehole. He's everything that's wrong with this country, and he's proud of it. We are on the eve of a national humiliation of unimaginable proportions.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 18-Jul-19 18:26:40

Just watching Trump's audience in the US Hooty makes you realise little has changed in the last 100 years. I suppose we were naive to think it could never happen here.

lemongrove Thu 18-Jul-19 18:28:56

Johnson ( whatever you think about him) is hardly DT, don’t let’s get carried away.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 18-Jul-19 18:46:28

Gordon Brown: 'Boris Johnson could be UK's last prime minister'

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/18/gordon-brown-boris-johnson-could-be-uk-last-prime-minister-

Iam64 Thu 18-Jul-19 19:34:26

I haven't read the article GGm3 but I will. My immediate response to the suggestion from Gordon Brown that Boris Johnson could be the UK's last prim minister to to sadly acknowledge this may be true. To have a Conservative government prepared to wreck the Union is absolutely shocking. Mind you, off piste but the idea of a Conservative government slashing police numbers and alienating the police force, that's shocking and 10 years ago, would anyone have believed it?

Anniebach Thu 18-Jul-19 19:38:47

Considering the far left claim the Blair government were tories, I am amazed the NHS did die in 1983

Day6 Thu 18-Jul-19 20:00:40

But the 23rd is coming and he will be Prime Minister

Console yourself that it will only be for a very short time. He is the fall guy for Brexit negotions, as May's successor. It's still a poisoned chalice. I bet Labour is very glad it's been the party of opposition over the last three years of futile negotiation. Political hounds can savage the Conservative Party instead.

And of course The Brexit Party is waiting in the wings should Boris mess up (and he is likely to.)

I have never known a political era like it. I'll be heartily glad when the Brexit issue is done and dusted.

Anniebach Thu 18-Jul-19 20:11:14

Let me cheer you all up. The Labour Party held a poll, choose you preference of 3 members of the shadow cabinet , and listed them all

John Macdonald came top ,

GracesGranMK3 Thu 18-Jul-19 20:17:17

Thu 18-Jul-19 19:34:26

It does sometimes feel as if the world has been turned upside down Iam64.

Iam64 Thu 18-Jul-19 20:21:20

It really does GGm3. I've watched footage of the Trump rally on the news at 7 - terrifying . Sorry I know that's off piste, this thread is about Johnson and Hunt. Trump manages to make them both look like politicians (help)