Gransnet forums

News & politics

Panorama

(124 Posts)
WadesNan Thu 11-Jul-19 09:17:53

There are many Labour Party members on GN and I would be interested in their thoughts on last night's programme. Having grown up in a Labour supporting household I know the vast majority of Labour Party members are not racist or anti-semitic, however I do feel this programme raises questions about the upper echelon of the party.

If it had been one or two people making the allegations I could accept the denials being issued by the Labour Party that these are just "disaffected former employees". However, there were several people interviewed, some in very senior positions.

trisher Sun 14-Jul-19 19:10:18

Typical posts by right wingers- There is anti-semitism in the Labour Party-the Leader (Corbyn) must deal with it.
When he does anything
There is anti-semitism in the Labour Party and Corbyn must not interfere in the process of investigation
Make your bloody mind up!

lemongrove Sun 14-Jul-19 19:19:01

He must do something about it by doing some actual leading and by telling his Marxist buddies to stop interfering in the process by browbeating the very staff who are dealing with the antisemitic issues.

Anniebach Sun 14-Jul-19 19:20:40

True lemon,

Anniebach Sun 14-Jul-19 20:10:54

Emily Thornberry has not toed the line and condemned the
Whistleblowers.

trisher Sun 14-Jul-19 20:54:04

So lemon you know that his "Marxist buddies" have been interfering do you? Perhaps they were simply telling the staff to get on witth things and hurry things up. You know the way you and others keep insisting there must be action quickly. I don't remember any sympathy or consideration for the staff dealing with complex and increasing numbers of complaints then. Perhaps the attitude of the press and others demanding instant results has put a huge strain on everything and everyone.

Iam64 Sun 14-Jul-19 20:59:57

Anyone and everyone is responsible, other than senior figures in the LP according to some posters here.

Thankfully today, Emily Thornberry has joined Tom Watson in condemning the way the LP is responding to allegations of anti semitism. In expressing shame the whistle blowers are blamed by some in the party.

Anniebach Sun 14-Jul-19 21:09:06

Ken Livingstone was suspended in 2016 for a year but 2017
suspended for another year , 2018 suspended indefinitely,

No one can claim it was instant

trisher Sun 14-Jul-19 22:03:00

I don't "blame' the whistleblowers lemon I do agree that they may be disgruntled. I also suspect that they were subjected to a great deal of pressure because of the complaints, their increasing number and the attitude that things must be done quickly. But that is not the LP's fault or Corbyn's fault. It is if anything the fault of all those who have kept insisting that there should be immediate results, rather than allowing things to take their own time.

lemongrove Sun 14-Jul-19 22:13:05

hmm
Or......it could be that they are all telling the truth ( strange idea, I know.)

Anniebach Sun 14-Jul-19 22:16:27

I believed them lemon

trisher Sun 14-Jul-19 22:31:47

The clips were so cut that only the ideas the director wanted came across, and as he has a simple anti-Corbyn and anti- Palestinian stance nothing else mattered. Any idea of balance or any complications were sacrificed to his preconceptions and unfortunately he has a track record of giving false information and commiting libel.

lemongrove Sun 14-Jul-19 22:37:09

Those members of staff were not there to make the tea, they all held important posts, they were all credible people and they all said similar things, it is a damning picture of life under the control of Milne and others.
Corbyn is a mere puppet.

Anniebach Sun 14-Jul-19 22:54:08

Part of me feels sorry for Corbyn, he is a nodding dog, can’t
lead a party, he doesn’t have what it takes . He does Glastonbury and the Miners Gala where he can do his usual
rebel act, youngsters see him as a rebel.

Yet I still dislike him, he is not honest, and doesn’t give a toss for the once proud, broad church Labour Party, he is happy to let others run the party, traitor

Iam64 Mon 15-Jul-19 08:04:03

Because the programme was critical of the LP , the way in managed allegations and significantly, the way it treated employees doesn't equate to being anti Palestinian.

trisher Mon 15-Jul-19 09:12:07

But making a documentary that portrayed an Islamic charity as funding terrorism and libelling a person appearing in that documentary does equate to being anti Palestinian. and John Ware undoubtedly is.
2006, Responding to complaints about another Panorama edition, Faith, Hate and Charity produced by Ware, the Charity Commission in 2009[9] dismissed its allegations that British based Palestinian relief charity Interpal was funding organisations involved in terrorism.[10] The Muslim Council of Britain described Ware as "an agenda-driven pro-Israel polemicist".[11] The programme resulted in the BBC paying undisclosed libel damages and giving a public apology to the General Manager of Islamic Relief UK, who was prominently shown while not being a subject of the programme.
At the time John Ware worked for the BBC he is now freelance why on earth would they employ a man who has cost them money?

Anniebach Mon 15-Jul-19 09:21:10

2002. The Islington MP (Corbyn) said

‘The house warmly congratulates the BBC and the ever
vigilant investigating journalist John Ware for their perseverance and courage in researching and broadcasting ‘

trisher Mon 15-Jul-19 09:25:14

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

trisher Mon 15-Jul-19 10:05:16

Sorry just notoiced that it is 2002, so perhaps yu can explain Annie why you are posting old comments in support of what was obviously a biased and anti-Islamic programme? Perhaps acknowledging that this man has a definite agenda and this influences the programmes he makes, might cast doubt on the legitimacy of this programmme.

Beckett Mon 15-Jul-19 10:20:14

If those featured in the programme had been misrepresented would they have not come out and said so by now? I don't think Corbyn is anti-semitic himself, however, if even just a few of the allegations are true it does warrant questions being asked of those running the LP

trisher Mon 15-Jul-19 10:49:47

Not if they have a political agenda, or have signed over rights to the docu maker in return for cash.
I think questions are fine Beckett a programme presenting opinion as fact isn't.

Iam64 Mon 15-Jul-19 11:27:42

trisher - how do you justify calling anniebach a racist islamophobe?

Iam64 Mon 15-Jul-19 11:28:22

Oh for that Edit button.
I appreciate Annie is quite capable of fighting her own battles. I'm not trying to do that, I'm asking a genuine question.

Anniebach Mon 15-Jul-19 11:42:19

Emily Thornberry

‘We shouldn’t be going for the messengers ,we should be looking at the message ‘