Gransnet forums

News & politics

When WAS Ivanka trump elected?

(68 Posts)
paddyann Thu 11-Jul-19 22:51:45

Now the news is out Liam Fox will be negotiating post Brexit deals with none other than Ivanka Trump....the news just gets better and better .Can any Brexiteer tell me why this is good news for our trade or lack of with the good old US of A?
Why in all thats happening accross the pond and here is America happy with trump's daughter working in a n official capacity ?

varian Tue 16-Jul-19 19:12:50

You can get away with a lot if you are a pretty woman with long blond hair, a nice smile and a sense of entitlement.

Ivanka Trump has a rich and powerful daddy but little else in the way of qualifications to have a seat at world forums..

Isabel Oakeshott appears to be in an extra-marital relationship with the chairman of the brexit party and is a great favourite of the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation.

What a scoop she had when she leaked Sir Kim Darroch's opinion of Trump (which I guess was mild by comparision of the opinion of most other ambassadors currently stationed in Washington).

We have to ask why?

The brilliant investigative journalist Carole Cadwalladr may have the answer.

twitter.com/carolecadwalla?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

anenome9 Tue 16-Jul-19 19:02:22

‘My father taught my siblings and me the importance of positive values and a strong ethical compass.’
Ivanka Trump
............... surely a good time to remind her dad of this as his ‘adviser’, whether elected or not.

oldgimmer1 Sat 13-Jul-19 21:28:57

Vulgar upstarts? hmm

At least Trump has been elected by a democratic process, unlike Her Maj.

grin

Deedaa Sat 13-Jul-19 20:52:29

As far as I can remember the Americans fought a war to throw off the shackles of Royalty and create a republic where all men were created equal hmm Suddenly they have an entire family taking over just because they are related to the President.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 13-Jul-19 13:03:58

There has been a recent scandal about the rich in the US paying for degrees or top marks for their children. So may this has happened in Trumps family. We have seen the problems caused in the middle east and else where by a president getting to big for his boots, employing his family in key positions and then before you know it you have a Dictator with a family not wanting to let go of the power they have. My feeling is this is how DT is behaving.

CarlyD7 Sat 13-Jul-19 08:06:00

Another interesting article I've just found:

"Despite the US president attesting to the fact he finished “top of his class” at Wharton business school of the University of Pennsylvania, his former professor college professor William T. Kelley had another view.

After Kelley’s death, Frank DiPrima a close friend of Kelley revealed that the professor felt the president was a fool.

“Professor Kelley told me 100 times over three decades that ‘Donald Trump was the dumbest goddam student I ever had,'” DiPrima wrote. "

CarlyD7 Sat 13-Jul-19 08:03:09

Trump always claims that he was first in his class at Wharton's. However, in Gwenda Blair's 2001 book, "The Trumps: Three Generations of Builders and a President," she said Trump transferred into Wharton from Fordham University with help from family connections. The president's older brother, Freddy Trump, knew an admissions counselor at Wharton, she said.

That book and reports in the 1980s claimed Trump didn't graduate first in his class and didn't graduate with honors.

suziewoozie Sat 13-Jul-19 00:01:05

www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/07/02/why-ivanka-trump-didnt-belong-anywhere-near-dmz-or-g-summit/?utm_term=.490ebc158a6b

A good analysis of all that’s wrong with Ivanka Trump’s position in the WH

Callistemon Fri 12-Jul-19 23:22:09

I am in awe of Peppa Pig and her wise pronouncements
grin

Ivanka has better hair, though
(Does Peppa have any?)

maddyone Fri 12-Jul-19 23:14:24

Pepper Pig grin

GillT57 Fri 12-Jul-19 22:35:43

Any educational institution that awarded a degree to that dumb s**t Trump cannot be reputable, maybe his Dad paid for it. Trump is a multiple bankrupt who has never had a job; he used Dad's money to start his business. Ivanka, although smarter than him (but so is Peppa Pig,) is not qualified to negotiate trade deals. Mind you, Fox made a real bugger's muddle of the Brexit trade negotiations so maybe the pair of them are well matched. Heaven help us

Callistemon Fri 12-Jul-19 22:10:28

Margs are you confusing her with her mother who has a 'beehive'?

Ivanka has lovely shiny hair, perhaps Liam Fox can do a deal and we can import her hair products.
I want lovely shiny hair like hers smile

suziewoozie Fri 12-Jul-19 22:04:11

Having a degree does not make her qualified to carry out the role she has. In fact most degrees don’t qualify you for anything much. And the fact it’s the same as her fathers- the man who cannot string a coherent sentence together and has the vocabulary of a not very bright 5 year old , says precisely nothing.

maddyone Fri 12-Jul-19 22:00:01

Oh, so she does have qualifications then. Well, to some extent that changes things. Not the nepotism though.

petra Fri 12-Jul-19 21:53:02

absent
Not a complete dumb blond, then.

absent Fri 12-Jul-19 21:38:28

Mcrc Ivanka Trump has a Bachelor degree in Economics from Wharton – the same as her father.

maddyone Fri 12-Jul-19 21:25:00

I’m not arguing at all with that Suzie, as I said, I don’t care for nepotism at all.

suziewoozie Fri 12-Jul-19 21:08:23

Maddyone it’s not IT’s silver spoon thats the issue, it’s her total and complete lack of any relevant experience for the role she is fulfilling. It just cannot be justified in any way, shape or form. At least when John Kennedy brought in his brother as Attorney General, he was a qualified lawyer with a range of legal experiences

suziewoozie Fri 12-Jul-19 21:01:51

Petra Ollie Robbins is not May’s son, hotfooting it into Downing Street from a ‘career’ totally unrelated to political life and experience. I’m sorry but that really is not a sensible analogy.

maddyone Fri 12-Jul-19 21:00:17

We’ve just got back from America, and it seems a lot like here, people seem to love him or hate him. They seem to have a very divided country, much like us I suppose.

CarlyD7 Fri 12-Jul-19 20:58:05

Donald Dump sees his whole presidency as a golden opportunity for him and his family to make as much money as possible - even with countries who have, historically, been America's enemies (such as North Korea and Russia). Involving Ivanka and her revolting husband is just part of that plan. I've no idea why Americans put up with it - but then I've no idea how Dump got into the White House in the first place.

petra Fri 12-Jul-19 20:24:15

Who voted for Olly Robbins ( Chief Brexit negotiator) ?

maddyone Fri 12-Jul-19 20:13:06

Suzie, I totally agree with you about Dolly Parton. I really like her too and I admire the way she has worked so hard for her success, and also for her philanthropic and humanitarian work. She is a wonderful example to us all.
Of course some people are born with a silver spoon in their mouth, twas ever thus, but I don't like nepotism either.

suziewoozie Fri 12-Jul-19 19:59:20

Dolly Parton is the polar opposite to Ivanka Trump. Born into real poverty, made her very successful way in the world because of a range of incredible talents and hard work, no inherited wealth or contacts and also does a range of philanthropic and humanitarian work as well as caring for and supporting family members. She’s incredible, I love her and she’s also very very witty.
It is absolutely wrong in every way possible the role that IT is carrying out. It’s insulting to our Government and therefore to us that we are supposed to negotiate with her. She does not have an MBA and basically has ‘designed’ jewellery and clothes and been a model. She has not been involved in any political life or office until her father behaved like a tin pot dictator and installed her in the White House.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 12-Jul-19 16:19:56

Good post paddyann and I am in full agreement with you. In Cambodia, a 3rd world country, they have an elected president who has given office to all his family. So running the country is a family affair, pretty much like how the US is getting.