Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anyone have good news to share about the U.K.? ??

(341 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 13:13:10

Instead of gloom and doom (plenty about) how about we lift our spirits with any good news we hear to cheer us up?
?

As in today:
“THE Wall Street banking giant JP ­Morgan is about to embark on a major hiring spree in the City, despite Jamie Dimon, the chief executive, previously warning about Brexit job losses.

The growth plans stand in contrast to repeated warnings made by the bank’s boss about the effect Brexit could have on UK staff numbers”

lemongrove Mon 15-Jul-19 08:59:07

Lovely list BradfordLass and on the subject of swan upping ( counting swans and also weighing the cygnets) this week is swan upping week on the Thames( from Sunbury to Abingdon on Thames.It’s a colourful tradition carried out since medieval times by the two boats and men from the worshipful companies of the vintners and the dyers.It’s a marvellous sight how they corral the swans in various places, and pick them up with ease. It’s been a tradition for over 900 years.

GabriellaG54 Mon 15-Jul-19 10:11:00

Hmm, not all JP Morgan Chase employees work in the UK. I know two who were previously employed in the City but were given the opportunity to relocate to Dubai and now live in luxury on the palm, yachts and maids as routine.

GabriellaG54 Mon 15-Jul-19 10:17:11

The good news is that we have a (mostly) green and pleasant land, in which we all have an opportunity to prosper if we put our minds to it. We have an (admittedly overworked) admirable NHS and many freedoms and advantages not available in some other countries.
Great Britain will become greater and I'm proud and pleased to be one of it's millions.

eazybee Mon 15-Jul-19 10:35:04

The cricket team's win was not an overnight sensation, but the result of planning, strategy, much hard training and team work. Gives great hope for the future.
All of the positives in the above posts, and the fact that we do have freedom of speech, however much it is abused; the freedom to moan, to criticise and to protest, and carry on doing so, without having to resort to violence.

EllanVannin Mon 15-Jul-19 11:13:04

We have sunshine and warmth in the North West !

JenniferEccles Mon 15-Jul-19 11:26:52

I think we all know by now that anything positive written on here will be completely shouted down by those who seem determined to see 'doom and gloom' everywhere, regardless of evidence to the contrary.

For instance, I have mentioned before (as others have) on other similar threads ,about how unemployment is at its lowest level for decades. This then produces a flurry of comments about zero hours contracts, as if folk are compelled to take those sorts of jobs regardless of whether they suit their particular circumstances or not.

It doesn't matter how positive we might like to be on here, some seem to insist on seeing only negativity. Very strange.

I guess personality traits come into it.

wildswan16 Mon 15-Jul-19 12:18:36

I have just been watching the Fire Brigade and SSPCA rescue a poor little fox from the river. After the heavy rain so many trees and branches had built up at the bridge that they were backlogged about ten yards. The fox must have thought it was solid ground and tried to cross.

Took several people and a boat to get him/her out. Kindness and respect for animals and humans is still around in plenty.

Rosina Mon 15-Jul-19 14:03:52

So true, JenniferEccles, but those determined to talk everything down and boil in their own bile would doubtlessly find much to complain about if they had a semi detached in Utopia.

Urmstongran Mon 15-Jul-19 14:10:17

That made me laugh Rosina - very witty!

Dee1012 Mon 15-Jul-19 15:37:36

Well I live in the North East and the coastline here is magnificent!

Today...Alan Turing being on the £50 note, now that made me proud.

Dinahmo Mon 15-Jul-19 15:37:52

JenniferEccles & Rosina

Both of you have suggested that there are people determined to doom and gloom in everything, Well, I can only think that you haven't read the all the posts. By my count there are 4 of you who have spouted that opinion and 4 others who have mentioned slightly negative things, but nobody has shouted down anybody else.

Rosina Mon 15-Jul-19 15:45:27

Dinahmo possibly a misunderstanding here - I was meaning generally that those who talk everything down - and don't we all know people like that? - are almost impossible to please and must be quite sour as a result.
I actually found this thread encouraging and upbeat. Perhaps as usual I didn't make myself too clear!

Thanks Urmstongran!

GillT57 Mon 15-Jul-19 15:55:40

We are indeed fortunate to live in the UK. We don't fear the knock on the door in the middle of the night, our health care is not dependant upon our income, we have a much envied and wonderful heritage of castles, open land, beautiful coastline and countryside.

JenniferEccles Mon 15-Jul-19 17:02:54

But we are only on page 3 of this thread, so there is plenty of time for the hand-wringers to find us Dinahmo !!

Labaik Mon 15-Jul-19 17:19:28

Strange that we've had all of those 'good' things whilst still being a member of the EU. However, can't wait to see how much better it's going to get after youknowwhat….

RosieLeah Mon 15-Jul-19 17:21:32

I'm currently reading a book about the beginnings of the Christian church. It came as a surprise to learn that the church was first established here in Britain, and taken to Rome by the Britons. The first Bishop of Rome was St Linus, the son of a British king. Plus, far from the Romans trying to conquer a brutish rabble, they were up against, disciplined, educated people. These days we are not encouraged to be proud of our country, and indeed there is a lot to be ashamed of, but being the first country to embrace Christianity is something to be proud of.

suziewoozie Mon 15-Jul-19 17:43:26

Rosie - I thought it was Armenia? What’s the book you’re reading?

Rosina Mon 15-Jul-19 17:54:51

First country to abolish slavery too - and all industrial progress apparently springs from this island, I believe from Derbyshire where the Industrial Revolution began.

Sussexborn Mon 15-Jul-19 17:58:37

I am very glad that I was fortunate enough to be born in perfectly imperfect Great Britain. The vast majority of people are kind and caring and we are incredibly tolerant of all the whingers and whiners. I guess they have been brainwashed and are not responsible for their negativity and miserable outlook. Sad really and best to skip over their posts so they can’t drag you down.

Happychops Mon 15-Jul-19 18:03:28

Finished work tonight, sun still shining.Spoke to lovely man watering his garden, on my walk home, discussed the gorgeous planting , he was a happy soul and gave me some tips. Got home and watered my plants.
Bees and butterflies in the garden.Birds chirping, me sat drinking a cup of tea, what more could I want, ahh Bliss

suziewoozie Mon 15-Jul-19 18:09:07

Sussex - that’s not a very nice post at all and certainly not kind, caring or tolerant. Some people have tough lives for a variety of reasons and are not always able to be cheerful in those situations.

growstuff Mon 15-Jul-19 18:26:28

RosieLeah, what's the name of the book you're reading about Christianity. I'm quite surprised, because it's generally accepted that Peter was the first Pope and Pope Linus (the second Pope) was Italian. However, I'm happy to be informed differently, although I'm not quite sure how this qualifies as good news, almost 2,000 years after the event.

Greta Mon 15-Jul-19 18:45:26

I guess many French, Dutch, Danes, Finns etc are also proud of their countries' achievements and natural beauty. I'm not 'shouting anybody down' and I don't subscribe to constant 'doom and gloom'. However, I think that with most things there are always pros and cons. It is also worth remembering that many of our achievements have only come about through cooperation with other nations. I hope we will continue to engage with others – not just when it comes to trade.

varian Mon 15-Jul-19 18:48:37

Good news -we are a great country now, but we should not take it for granted.

We must not give up hope that we can continue to be a great country - which will only be possible if this brexit nonsense is stopped, which is what the majority of British people want.

Cherrytree59 Mon 15-Jul-19 18:57:33

My daughter remarked this morning that to born in the UK (in Ihho) was like winning a lottery or receiving a Golden ticket.

So many humans live in poverty, in fear of their and families, life and under dreadful regimes.

We are so lucky, whatever happens with Brexit, government etc we will still live in wonderful green and pleasant
land whether it be thistle shamrock stdavids or ?where I live atm.