Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson’s Government

(896 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jul-19 16:33:05

I can imagine we will be horror struck as next week plays out. The cabinet will be a sight to behold.

Shoequeen53 Sun 04-Aug-19 19:54:49

He didn’t even know where Dover is.

GillT57 Sun 04-Aug-19 19:53:51

This is the same Raab who, as Brexit prefect, didn't realise just how busy Dover to Calais route is. Bloody hell, the man is a fool

Shoequeen53 Sun 04-Aug-19 19:30:00

I think they’ve gone completely mad. The lunatics really are running the asylum now.

jura2 Sun 04-Aug-19 19:02:07

just so out of order and provocative!

And then he goes on, and other Tories, about how precious the Union is sad

varian Sun 04-Aug-19 18:57:50

This Tory idiot seems hell-bent on breaking up our two most precious Unions.

Greta Sat 03-Aug-19 12:55:00

Oh no, is this our foreign secretary speaking? Truly shocking.

GracesGranMK3 Sat 03-Aug-19 09:24:10

I think he may need a mental capacity assessment.

crystaltipps Sat 03-Aug-19 05:50:12

When you think Dominic Raab couldn’t get more stupid- this is a recent tweet of his

jura2 Fri 02-Aug-19 22:00:18

oh yes- but he seems a bit more competent and convincing (Alan B'Stard that is)

GillT57 Fri 02-Aug-19 13:16:41

Here it is, you can skip the ad at the beginning.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeiGLSy-1zU

GillT57 Fri 02-Aug-19 13:13:49

Am I the only one who think that Raab looks, acts, talks, sneers like Alan B'Stard, played so wonderfully by the late Rik Mayall? Will try and find a clip and post it on here

Labaik Fri 02-Aug-19 11:55:18

How about the 'undemocratic proroguing of parliament' [which it is....]

growstuff Fri 02-Aug-19 10:54:23

Exactly, Maizie, people don't care. It's like saying "cultural Marxist" (whatever that's supposed to mean). People automatically go "boo hiss" and feel revulsion.

growstuff Fri 02-Aug-19 10:52:15

Yes, I am sure they're being primed. There's been a spike in searches for it on Google. Apparently, it started on Monday. Raab appears to have been the first, but it's now appearing in official government documentation. I think somebody's been reading Goebbel's handbook.

The word "democracy" itself has been misused so much over the last three years that it's become meaningless as a concept.

MaizieD Fri 02-Aug-19 10:05:41

I think that constantly using a phrase, especially one as vacuously meaningless as this one, 'normalises' it in many people's eyes. It has two Leavers' hate words in it, 'undemocratic' and 'backstop'. Who cares what it 'means'?

varian Fri 02-Aug-19 09:36:05

"Project Fear", as a way of dismissing well informed warnings of the dire consequences of leaving the union, particularly from experts, was another overused, but successful catchphrase, which was first used in 2014 by the SNP.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 02-Aug-19 09:29:02

Yes I do agree that if it is constantly pointed out at every opportunity, the voters may begin to understand at how they are being manipulated.

Greta Fri 02-Aug-19 09:27:28

Re 'undemocratic backstop'; Sajid Javid is in love with it. Do you think they are all being primed to hammer these phrases in the hope that we will believe them? Pathetic. What they don't seem to realise is that they come across as fools, not as serious politicians.

We must not forget 'the will of the people'!

growstuff Fri 02-Aug-19 09:25:43

Apparently, "turbo charge preparations" is another one to put on the Brexit Bingo card.

dragonfly46 Fri 02-Aug-19 09:22:06

What a mess we are in.

There is an article in the Guardian showing how ‘Project Fear’ has become a reality.

Surely just saying it will all work out in the end will not cut it anymore.

Brexit, as I am sure it was designed to do, has split our country and I am not sure there is any way back. There are no winners and losers, we are all losers.

growstuff Fri 02-Aug-19 09:20:38

I don't think it's very funny either, Maizie, but I'm glad that people are cottoning on to the use of catchphrases. With a bit of luck, people will do to this one the same as they did with "strong and stable". It's being mocked on a number of threads on Twitter.

varian Fri 02-Aug-19 09:19:45

I agree Maizie

growstuff Fri 02-Aug-19 09:18:04

PS. I can't bear to watch any interviews with Cleverly, so you're one "undemocratic backstop" up on me ;-)

MaizieD Fri 02-Aug-19 09:17:08

I'm not finding it a particularly funny joke, varian. It's mangling language to a point where it's meaningless but giving the Leave parrots a little mantra to regurgitate atcevery opportunity!

Manipulation of the electorate has never seemed so blatant...

growstuff Fri 02-Aug-19 09:16:28

Quite clearly, the Irish border concerns the Tories. Meanwhile, there are rumblings in Sinn Fein about it. Anybody think this might not end up very well?

I remember Ireland being mentioned in 2016, but our brave Brexiteers at the time didn't seem to have considered it.