Gransnet forums

News & politics

Go Boris! And typical BBC coverage

(37 Posts)
Opal Wed 24-Jul-19 16:13:54

I've just watched Boris' speech in Downing Street - he was energetic, enthusiastic and inspiring. No matter what your political beliefs and your views on Brexit, he knocks Jeremy Corbyn out of the park! Good bloody luck to him, I hope he can get the majority of the country on side.

And typical BBC - don't know why I watch it, it always annoys me. Negative slant from some of their political commentators, as always. Do they ever promote a positive message on anything?

Go Boris! smile

Nico97 Wed 24-Jul-19 16:22:15

Well said Opal - another fine uplifting speech. I thought the reference to the "awesome foursome" was a wonderful way of describing the UK grin

jura2 Wed 24-Jul-19 16:23:38

Oh I wish- he would go ...

being enthusiastic is totally useless in the current circumstances - just as Rory says - he does not have a clear plan, he just is full of empty rhetoric and hot air, not a clue ...

www.facebook.com/LBC/videos/345613156338582/

dragonfly46 Wed 24-Jul-19 16:24:35

I take it all back. I have put my name down for the luxury home Boris is going to pay for where I will get excellent care. When I am there I won't care if we are friends with the EU or not!

mcem Wed 24-Jul-19 16:30:07

How very pragmatic dragonfly!
Let's all become extravagant spendthrifts!

Minniemoo Wed 24-Jul-19 16:33:35

The BBC has been annoying me intensely for a long time now. Clearly left leaning when they should be impartial. But what amuses me more is when my left leaning friends claim that the Beeb is biased against them!

merlotgran Wed 24-Jul-19 16:51:26

I am also getting fed up with all the negativity. We've got Boris whether we like it or not so I will reserve any further judgement until there's something to judge.

Remember the hysteria when Blair became PM? 'New kids on the block?' 'The boy dun good?' etc., etc., He walked on water until...…..

Give Boris a chance and if he messes up he'll be gone!

Luckygirl Wed 24-Jul-19 17:04:23

Let us hope that Boris will sort out social care before I have to mortgage my home to go on paying for OH's care - that gives him just a few months! Perhaps I should write and tell him so! - get my order in quick before anyone else!

Forgive me for my cynicism, but that sort of speech, designed to rouse the masses, is like water off a duck's back to me. I remember TM's speech the day she became PM and her unfulfilled promises.

The truth is that he does not have enough parliamentary support to do diddly squat!

Luckygirl Wed 24-Jul-19 17:11:30

Well I've done it - emailed the PM with a request that he might like to get his skates on when it comes to social care funding as mortgage-day is looming!

jura2 Wed 24-Jul-19 17:12:16

if he messes up, the whole country will be in a serious mess - for a very long time, whether he is gone or not. Can't you see ???

knickas63 Wed 24-Jul-19 17:16:50

Minniemoo. Really! Left Leaning! I can assure your that everyone I know of that leans even remotely left believe the BBC to be completely in the pocket of the Tories! And in fact I believe have been proved to be and called out a number of times. Just how far right are you if you think they are left leaning!

Anniebach Wed 24-Jul-19 17:32:58

Wonder if he would speed up my appointment with the
physiotherapy dept,

petra Wed 24-Jul-19 17:35:48

Kickas
I know these figures are 3years old but in 2016 the BBC bought 75,000 copies of the Guardian this was more than any other newspaper. Some wit commented that the BBC kept the Guardian afloat.
This is also dispute the fact that the Guardian is the eighth most popular newspaper.

Opal Wed 24-Jul-19 17:40:02

jura2 Wed 24-Jul-19 16:23:38

being enthusiastic is totally useless in the current circumstances

So let's all be unenthusiastic and negative, jura2, and see how far that gets us. Honestly, it's the doom and gloom negativity over the last three years that put us where we are now! FGS let's have a bit of enthusiasm about our people and our country and what we can achieve, I'm so p****d off with the doom-mongering.

petra Wed 24-Jul-19 17:45:27

Opel
Let them wallow in their misery. It keeps them going ?

quizqueen Wed 24-Jul-19 17:50:33

The media are already complaining that his team is full of Leavers but they didn't complain when May's was full of Remainers. Well surprise, surprise, we're leaving, so we need people who are enthusiastic about it and not people like Ollie Robins, who made a balls up of the negotiations ( on purpose) and has now scuttled off to a high paying job outside government.
Good luck, Boris, I voted for you even though I'm not a real Tory. You have until October 31st to retain my support.

NfkDumpling Wed 24-Jul-19 17:52:14

I don’t think the Beeb are left or right leaning. They’re just negative. The Marvins of the media world. The Today programme is the worst.

A bit like my dearly beloved MiL, whatever medical complaint someone had or complained of, she knew someone who’d died from it.

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Jul-19 17:58:28

What Boris does won't impinge on the lives of expats who like to have their say from afar.

blondenana Wed 24-Jul-19 18:00:42

I think we should give Boris a chance, and not critisize unless or until he messes up
His speech was inspiring ,if he fulfills his promises, can't do worse than May surely, but let us see

jura2 Wed 24-Jul-19 18:04:19

there is NO time to wait and see, NO time at all. How long do you think we can sit ad wait and see?

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Jul-19 18:07:06

????

craftyone Wed 24-Jul-19 18:29:07

doom mongering, energy drainers who live abroad. Gotto laugh, they`ll be back for their old age care
grin grin grin

Street parties already being arranged for october 31st.

Callistemon Wed 24-Jul-19 18:48:50

I don't think that Laura Kuenssberg is biased - she is just negative about everyone.
A bit like having that other Boris - Karloff or Victor Meldrew reporting the political news.

Davidhs Wed 24-Jul-19 18:55:29

So Boris is an inspiring orator and he seems totally enthusiastic - about leaving with “no deal”, no ifs or buts.
There are very few others that relish that prospect, wether he can do that avoiding a confidence vote in parliament is highly doubtful.
Maybe he really believes he could win a GE and get a working majority, with all the promises of spending today, maybe he is so confident of his own charisma he could win.

EllanVannin Wed 24-Jul-19 18:56:15

Let the fun begin. Does he know where the North West is ??