Gransnet forums

News & politics

Go Boris! And typical BBC coverage

(38 Posts)
Opal Wed 24-Jul-19 16:13:54

I've just watched Boris' speech in Downing Street - he was energetic, enthusiastic and inspiring. No matter what your political beliefs and your views on Brexit, he knocks Jeremy Corbyn out of the park! Good bloody luck to him, I hope he can get the majority of the country on side.

And typical BBC - don't know why I watch it, it always annoys me. Negative slant from some of their political commentators, as always. Do they ever promote a positive message on anything?

Go Boris! smile

RosieLeah Wed 24-Jul-19 19:09:15

It's looking as though he has kicked out all the insipid, wishy-washy remainers and is gathering a cabinet of strong personalities. That is exactly what the country needs. Now perhaps we can get things done instead of being indecisive and spending more time discussing than doing. EllanVannin..I should imagine he knows exactly where the North West is..it's probably where he saw all those 'letter-boxes' he referred to!

Day6 Wed 24-Jul-19 19:12:27

Opel - applause!

I completely agree. The government bashers, the miseries, the negative ones who will never ever express even a glimmer of hope or even a 'let's see how it goes' attitude, tend to gather on social media.

I have been consoled by the fact that none of them live near me fortunately! Even the left wingers in our social circle rant less and are much more keen to accentuate the positive. Our Remainer friends are nothing like the gloom mongers on some social media sites either.

I switch over now and rarely watch the BBC or Channel news as they reporters deal in THEIR opinions, rather than report events. I do not want their negative left wing, remainer whinging in my domain. Sky news is the same.

Like you I am hoping that Boris can take us forward. I cannot be alone though in thinking there are so many in Parliament and in the media who are only looking for opportunities to criticise and complain.

The UK is in a dreadful rut. We need to come together and make progress with Brexit. (It will be interesting to note the parliamentarians who try to stop it.)

He is a new broom and I wish him well. I hope he is just the tonic we so desperately need.

Day6 Wed 24-Jul-19 19:13:24

Op*a*l - sorry.

WadesNan Wed 24-Jul-19 19:14:02

I don't know what the BBC is like anywhere else but local radio this morning asked for words of advice for Boris Johnson - any sarcastic or unpleasant remark was greeted with laughter any comment supporting Boris was ridiculed. The "unbiased" presenters made it very plain what their political opinions are. Personally I don't have strong opinions one way or the other but am prepared to give him a chance.

Day6 Wed 24-Jul-19 19:17:46

A bit like having that other Boris - Karloff or Victor Meldrew reporting the political news.

That made me laugh Callistemon.

Yes, BBC's LK is rather doleful - always rather despondent. Poor woman. What an affliction. grin

RosieLeah Wed 24-Jul-19 19:23:36

The best BBC interviewer (in my opinion) is Joanna Gosling. She has a conversation not an interrogation, and she tends to get a better response because of it.

Deedaa Wed 24-Jul-19 19:48:20

Boris went to Eton and spoke in the Oxford debating society. Public speaking is something he has been schooled in for years. Whether he has a gnat's chance of carrying out any of his promises is a different matter.

jura2 Wed 24-Jul-19 19:49:13

and who is the Star guest tonight on The One Show - to praise his 'amazing 'son???

Deedaa Wed 24-Jul-19 19:52:27

Just noticed he was promising that his government would be working "flat out" to fulfill his promises. Will this be before or after the long summer break,

Calendargirl Wed 24-Jul-19 21:25:39

After all the gloom, it was good to see a bit of positive enthusiasm from our new PM. Whether it lasts is another matter, but for all our sakes I hope Boris and his new cabinet of leavers gets Brexit DONE!

BlueBelle Wed 24-Jul-19 21:52:29

Your title is spot on Go Boris Yes please do bugger off from whence you came

Blinko Wed 24-Jul-19 21:55:19

Optimism = on a wing and a prayer.