Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson and Brexit

(1001 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Jul-19 08:20:33

In his statement Johnson underlined his pledge to ditch the Irish backstop, and ramp up preparations for no deal, and to leave on 31st October regardless of what happens.

Mays withdrawal agreement has been binned, however in a phone call Juncker signalled the EU27s intention of sticking with the deal already negotiated by the British Government. This includes the backstop.

Juncker told Johnson that the EU would be prepared to alter the political declaration.
Ireland has declared itself as “alarmed”
Barnier signalled that Johnson’s rhetoric almost certainly meant that the U.K. was going into a GE.

Expect a huge public information campaign and a large level of spending in preparation for no deal.

growstuff Thu 22-Aug-19 20:06:59

BTW, Opal, you don't appear to know the difference between deficit and debt.

Day6 Thu 22-Aug-19 20:10:30

Events in Europe have always had a large inpact on Britain and always will into the future

No one is denying that Grandad

We will remain European and have member states as European allies.

We are leaving what is supposedly a trading bloc - which has morphed into more - not declaring war on anyone or leaving the EU to make enemies!!!

Guess what - we will still trade with those member states, after we leave the EU, we will import and export under different conditions - and we won't be paying Brussels billions of pounds every year to do it.

Anyone would think the UK and the EU were facing off each other with armies, fighter aircraft, bombs and tanks!!! (More Remainer end-of-the-world reaction?)

crystaltipps Thu 22-Aug-19 20:11:57

All those leavers hoping that the EU is in imminent collapse and that other EU members are envious of us leaving must be suffering extreme cognitive dissonance as there appears to be a strengthening of the union and a dismay / shadenfreude at the way the UK is currently headed. I don’t think any other country is envious of our current mess.

growstuff Thu 22-Aug-19 20:14:46

Here we go again! Why do Leavers so often introduce hyperbole and war imagery into their posts?

I tried to find anything of real substance in your previous post Day6, but there isn't any.

crystaltipps Thu 22-Aug-19 20:14:57

Yes we will still trade with member states ( anyone recently looked in their cupboard - bet its chock of Italian tomatoes, chick peas etc ) but guess what - they’ll be more expensive! Marvellous. It’s so worth the billions we are spending ( not saving) on extricating.

varian Thu 22-Aug-19 20:29:52

Unless we stop this brexit nonsense all future trade with the other 27 member countries of the EU will be on their terms and the first requirement will be to comply with all EU regulations, which we would no longer have any say in.

How is that " bringing back control"?

Urmstongran Thu 22-Aug-19 21:15:08

Thank you Grandad1943 for explaining the reality of the situation.

I just posted my opinion. Not fact based obviously. But still ...

Urmstongran Thu 22-Aug-19 21:48:08

Progress?

Glimpsed as his ministerial car pulled up to Downing Street today following lunch with the French President in Paris the PM was seen to hold both raised fists aloft.

Today the French president gave his reluctant backing to Angela Merkel's plan to give the UK 30 days to come up with an alternative to the backstop.

70 days to Brexit.

Urmstongran Thu 22-Aug-19 21:59:34

Positivity?

Renewed optimism over Brexit deal prompts value of the pound to increase tonight.

Sterling temporarily gained more than one per cent against both dollar and the euro.

Increase came after positive Brexit noises from both Mr Macron and Ms Merkel with Boris.

Urmstongran Thu 22-Aug-19 22:01:52

Pragmatism?

Julian Reichelt, Bild editor, predicted agreements amounting to 'basically a deal'.

He said Angela Merkel would continue with the tough rhetoric Germans want but he foresaw a series of side deals despite a formal No Deal Brexit.

He described it as 'a classic way of Angela Merkel, not giving in, but giving in'.

Urmstongran Thu 22-Aug-19 22:05:14

Prank?

Boris Johnson was criticised for putting his feet on a coffee table at the Elysee

Online he was called a 'buffoon', 'embarrassing', 'arrogant', and 'a t**t'

But video shows President Macron light-heartedly invited the gesture!!
???

Lessismore Thu 22-Aug-19 22:12:41

Prat?

Opal Fri 23-Aug-19 00:23:12

growstuff you can't have it both ways. It's OK for MaizieD to claim that the Tories were at fault in January 2009, blaming them with the hike in "deficit", but when I point out that Labour were still in Government at that time, you then claim it was the fault of the global crash. It's always someone's else's fault to suit your view, isn't it? Double standards.
And by the way, I do know the difference between debt and deficit, I had cut and posted MaizieD's post which stated "deficit". I suggest you save your pompous and imperious "I know better than you do" comments for her!

Opal Fri 23-Aug-19 00:45:00

Here we go again! Why do Leavers so often introduce hyperbole and war imagery into their posts? You must be joking growstuff, remainers have hyperbole licked - "falling of a cliff", "crashing out" just to name two.
Day6 - excellent posts.

crystaltipps Fri 23-Aug-19 06:00:36

So Johnson has 30 days to come up with an alternative to the backstop - is this a brilliant move by Merkel or what - calling his bluff? Will he be able to design, produce and have up and running an alternate solution in 30 days as he claims ? Or will it be all blame the EU for their obstinacy in sticking to the rules and not jumping when he says jump? Or will he just go for a snap election?

Peonyrose Fri 23-Aug-19 06:24:52

Just get it over. I think the French have been downright obstructive and rude from the start, blocking all avenues and suggestions. They want our money and us in. The whole lot will come down like a set of dominoes soon anyway, we just led the way in a very painful and drawn out manner. It just makes me more determined to see it through, even though I wasn't in favour at first.

crystaltipps Fri 23-Aug-19 06:30:05

Let’s blame the French why don’t we- The Brits have been entitled, lacking any coherent plan, making u turns and switching ministers on a monthly basis. The government pretending they have the voice of the country when they haven’t. Saying the EU lacks stability when we are the weak and wobbly ones...

growstuff Fri 23-Aug-19 07:35:01

My goodness! It's almost as though some people still believe th "Hop off Frogs" rubbish.

I agree with you, crystaltipps. It's the UK which has behaved like a stroppy and entitled toddler.

Urmstongran Fri 23-Aug-19 08:03:15

What is the ‘Hop off Frogs’ please growstuff?

Whatever it is, I love that a Remainer knows of it whilst posing that a Leaver who doesn’t, feels ‘that’ way about the French!
?

growstuff Fri 23-Aug-19 08:41:23

I'm not responsible for Maizie's posts. Of course the global crash was responsible through quantitative easing for the 2009 deficit.

Urmstongran Fri 23-Aug-19 08:42:33

Back to Boris.

Michel Barnier might have noisily ruled out mini-deals, but that didn’t seem to stop the European Commission churning out lots of little Brexit parachutes.

At the last count, there were 100 “preparedness notices” published and 109 contingency measures approved, with 46 no-deal laws proposed or adopted.

So UK citizens will not need short-stay visas. Deals are now in place to keep aircraft flying, no matter what, and cars and lorries on the road. EU cash will keep flowing to UK projects, British students on EU study grants can finish their courses. The list goes on.

?

growstuff Fri 23-Aug-19 08:42:48

I suggest you read your own posts, Opal.

growstuff Fri 23-Aug-19 08:45:23

That sounds like good news. Do you have a link to a reference? I'd like to read more.

growstuff Fri 23-Aug-19 08:59:55

Grandad, I believe you know about road haulage.

Maybe you could look at this:

ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/file_import/road_transport_en.pdf

and comment.

Are UK hauliers prepared for this? Is the government prepared for the extra testing? Are the drivers themselves trained to the required standards.

Thank you, Urmstongran, for mentioning "preparedness notices". They're very interesting.

I knew the EU itself has been working very hard to smooth the transition. It publishes a report every month, which is more than the UK government has done. It's easier to find out what our own government is doing (or not doing) from the EU rather than from the government itself.

growstuff Fri 23-Aug-19 09:04:39

I can't find any "deals" to make sure aircraft keep flying. What the EU has done is remind the UK of its obligations as a third country flying into/out of the EU.

Maybe there's something else I haven't found yet. I'll keep looking.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion